Menu

Open Tent Academy???

I am not familiar with any of the courses, although some look like a lot of fun. The weird thing I noticed is that some classes seem to meet every other week. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the foreign language classes that meet twice per week. Why meet twice one week and then not at all the next? Might as well just meet once per week, every week. But perhaps I'm reading the syllabus wrong?

It does look like it picked up a few of the Landry classes/teachers. I'm finding a few of the high school classes suspect. No way is a one semester class a full high school credit like one of them is currently listed in the syllabus. I find it tough to believe that a couple of them are even worth .5 credit with only one meeting per week (or one meeting every other week) and only two hours of homework per week. 

• Like 3

I see Dr. Todd Godwin listed as a teacher. He also teaches at CLRC. Quite a good teacher and has high expectations for his students. DD learned a lot of French and Arabic with him.

How much homework for CLRC language? We are planning on German (I know you DD took different languages), but we can't find any reviews for it.

• Like 1

How much homework for CLRC language? We are planning on German (I know you DD took different languages), but we can't find any reviews for it.

Not much for French because he used First Start French, and although he did add activities, it didn't add that much more time to the week. For DD I would say 1 hour per week, but I don't think it was a high school level class. It was called Young French, if I recall.

Much more for Arabic because we used the textbook and workbook. We found it to be a much harder language, more than any other language we've learned so far. I would say it ranged from 2-4 hours. Godwin supplemented as well on top of the textbook and workbook. He pushes harder than most teachers, always to trying to get the students to engage with the language.

The German teacher is friendly since we emailed each other after the German summer course. I'm sure she will give you a better idea of her workload. We couldn't continue because I already signed up for enough classes.

• Like 1

I am not familiar with any of the courses, although some look like a lot of fun. The weird thing I noticed is that some classes seem to meet every other week. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the foreign language classes that meet twice per week. Why meet twice one week and then not at all the next? Might as well just meet once per week, every week. But perhaps I'm reading the syllabus wrong?

It does look like it picked up a few of the Landry classes/teachers. I'm finding a few of the high school classes suspect. No way is a one semester class a full high school credit like one of them is currently listed in the syllabus. I find it tough to believe that a couple of them are even worth .5 credit with only one meeting per week (or one meeting every other week) and only two hours of homework per week. 

I had not noticed the odd scheduling for some classes.  Thanks for pointing that out.  DD is taking a class right now but they meet weekly and have homework every week.

I had not noticed the odd scheduling for some classes.  Thanks for pointing that out.  DD is taking a class right now but they meet weekly and have homework every week.

Which class is your DD taking? I wonder if they cut & pasted the schedule into some of the syllabi. The writing classes are structured for every-other-week, but it doesn't make sense for foreign language classes. There is still awhile before registration opens, so perhaps they will fix it.

Which class is your DD taking? I wonder if they cut & pasted the schedule into some of the syllabi. The writing classes are structured for every-other-week, but it doesn't make sense for foreign language classes. There is still awhile before registration opens, so perhaps they will fix it.

Euclidian Geometry meets art (not the title but that is basically what it is). Helps prepare kids for Geometry.

I looked again and it looks like from last class in September the syllabi skip not one week but two weeks before meeting in October. I agree maybe a syllabus that was incorrect or specially crafted for one class was copy pasted into others.

There is at least one class that lists their time as 3- 12:43pm and that is obviously incorrect too.

Hopefully any errors can be cleared up before the registration deadlines.

• Like 1

I think I figured it out. The official class dates lists certain weeks & leaves off others. It isn't exactly every other week, but only makes 10 weeks in the fall & 10 in the spring. 

In the FAQ, it says:

Looking at the calendar, I noticed there were some unusual gaps in the dates during the fall.

Yes, you are correct! Because Eva Goldstein-Meola, Director, is Jewish and she can’t work on the Jewish High Holidays, all students and teachers can benefit and enjoy this “little fall break†in the calendar. Teachers will provide an extended assignment during this “time off†to keep your children busy!

So, everyone takes off when the director can't work. I admire someone who is that dedicated to their faith, but I'm not sure I can stomach paying what I consider "full price" ($500+) for only 20 weeks of class, even if there are "extended assignments" for the off-weeks.

YMMV.