Menu

American Government — 2 semesters?

Our state requires one full year of American Government. All of the home school courses I've seen out there (e.g., BJU, Notgrass, etc.) are one semester courses. What would you recommend for a full year?

ETA: Just to clarify, our state requires...

US History – 2 credits (two semesters)

American Government – 2 credits (two semesters)

Economics – 1 credit (one semester)

Edited by NCAmusings

I would suggest looking at the offerings from Hillsdale College to add another semester, or organize as you see fit:

https://online.hillsdale.edu/dashboard/courses

There are study guides, quizzes, and supplemental readings; and you can add your owm stuff, too for comprehension.

They also have a Hillsdale Dialogue: 30 min. radio program with President Arnn and Hugh Hewitt duscussing various topics, some of which fall under this category.

HTH

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 2

https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=hs#course=Social%20science|university=false|high-school=on|middle-school=on|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=on|paper=on|subject=Social%20Science--History/Government

BYU online has 2 semester courses. I'm in fact looking into the one that is UC approved. But for us it's cheaper to go through SVHS. I would have preferred having American Goverment for one semester and a Supreme Court focused class for the second semester. But at this point I just need a transcript from any UC approved vendor.

Does your state require the 2 semester American Gov course for homeschoolers?  For applications to state colleges?

I ask because in the states I've lived in, there might have been broad guidelines for what subjects should be studied each year, but there were not graduation requirements for homeschoolers.  Homeschoolers, like private school students, don't receive a state diploma, so the state requirements for graduation do not apply to them.  

A state could specify in its homeschooling law that certain courses are required for completion of high school as a homeschooler.  I simply wouldn't assume that what is listed as a public school graduation requirement also applies to homeschoolers, unless that is clearly laid out as the case.

Does your state require the 2 semester American Gov course for homeschoolers? For applications to state colleges?

I ask because in the states I've lived in, there might have been broad guidelines for what subjects should be studied each year, but there were not graduation requirements for homeschoolers. Homeschoolers, like private school students, don't receive a state diploma, so the state requirements for graduation do not apply to them.

A state could specify in its homeschooling law that certain courses are required for completion of high school as a homeschooler. I simply wouldn't assume that what is listed as a public school graduation requirement also applies to homeschoolers, unless that is clearly laid out as the case.

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's required for public, but not homeschool. I like to have all of my bases covered. Perhaps I just needed you to remind and give me peace of mind that it's okay to have our own path other than that of the public government school. 😊 Thank you! Edited by NCAmusings

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's required for public, but not homeschool. I like to have all of my bases covered. Perhaps I just needed you to remind and give me peace of mind that it's okay to have our own path other than that of the public government school. 😊 Thank you!

I did not hold myself as bound to the exact requirements set for graduation from public schools.  On the other hand I did not want to drift too far from the expectations in case they wanted to apply to state schools.  

I don't know that you need to have a full year of government (although there is plenty of government to fill a year), but you probably want to have at least some government.  What we did was to do a semester of US and a semester of comparative.  These were fun courses and the kids learned a lot.

https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=hs#course=Social%20science|university=false|high-school=on|middle-school=on|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=on|paper=on|subject=Social%20Science--History/Government

BYU online has 2 semester courses. I'm in fact looking into the one that is UC approved. But for us it's cheaper to go through SVHS. I would have preferred having American Goverment for one semester and a Supreme Court focused class for the second semester. But at this point I just need a transcript from any UC approved vendor.

Would it count if it's taken from UC approved vendor prior to 9th grade? I would love to knock out some of those requirements, it I was told only math and foreign language. Now I wonder if we can do that through an outside provider.

Would it count if it's taken from UC approved vendor prior to 9th grade? I would love to knock out some of those requirements, it I was told only math and foreign language. Now I wonder if we can do that through an outside provider.

No, I don't think so according to some hivers here, but I need it in order to submit a HS application. Just keeping my options open. I feel better now that 2 more kids have entered Cal (I mean we can go elsewhere but it's just so close to us); it still feels like they had to do more than PS kids to get in, perhaps? But PS here is difficult to navigate - I don't understand the system at all. When I have time I need to post previous math tests on the forum to get opinions. DD needs to pass it to take geometry in 9th.

Sorry, OP, we've gone astray, lol.

• Like 1