Menu

Can I whine for a minute? I've had a fever for 5 DAYS UPDATE in OP

scbusf

I just wanna whine. I don't know if this the flu (I did get a flu shot, but I know it isn't 100% effective). But I've had a fever for 5 days and it SUCKS.

Update: I tested positive for the flu  :thumbdown:  I did get some good cough meds. Otherwise, there's not much I can do. My lungs were clear and I don't have ear infections. The doctor said the fever could last 2-3 more days  :eek:  This is a good thing about my kids being a little older. They can pretty much take care of themselves!

Edited by scbusf

This bug is lasting a long time!

I'm on day nine. My fevers have only been coming on at night. I thought I was better yesterday and today I feel lousy again. I probably did too much yesterday trying to catch up.

Dh is on his second round of antibiotics for a secondary infection. He's been sick for longer than I've been. And a friend on ours was sock several days before him and still isn't completely well.

I've had worse viruses but this is long-lasting. I didn't think it was the flu because I always heard the flu comes on fast and hard and this one seemed to build slowly, but who knows?

The highest it has been is 101.5. It goes down with Ibuprofen or Tylenol. It will stay down for a few hours, then go back up.

that's lower-grade.  most drs dont' really consider anything below 101 to be a fever. 

I would be more concerned that this has lasted 5 days.  (that in itself could be a sign of something else going on, and is a reason to call your dr's office for advice.)

my suggestion - stop taking anything to lower the fever.  fever is the tool the body uses to kill germs, if you keep lowering your temp, germs will not be killed as quickly and hardier ones will survive to replicate perpetuating the cycle.

• Like 3

Hope you feel better soon!

Our whole family just got over a nasty virus that started with a few days of fever. It just wiped all of us out. It was one week of feeling actively sick and then another week of exhaustion. It's about 16 days from when I first came down with it and I'm only just now starting to feel like my normal self again.

This bug is lasting a long time!

I'm on day nine. My fevers have only been coming on at night. I thought I was better yesterday and today I feel lousy again. I probably did too much yesterday trying to catch up.

Dh is on his second round of antibiotics for a secondary infection. He's been sick for longer than I've been. And a friend on ours was sock several days before him and still isn't completely well.

I've had worse viruses but this is long-lasting. I didn't think it was the flu because I always heard the flu comes on fast and hard and this one seemed to build slowly, but who knows?

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope you feel better soon -- nine days is such a long time to feel so awful! :(

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon!

Our whole family just got over a nasty virus that started with a few days of fever. It just wiped all of us out. It was one week of feeling actively sick and then another week of exhaustion. It's about 16 days from when I first came down with it and I'm only just now starting to feel like my normal self again.

I'm glad you're finally feeling better -- it's terrible when the whole family gets sick, because I think in most families, the mom is always the one who is trying to take care of everyone else, and the lack of rest (and all that worrying about everyone else) is what keeps us from recovering more quickly.

• Like 2

I can't take it any more. DH is taking me to Urgent Care tonight. The fever and incessant coughing is making me nuts.

I hope you will be on the upswing soon! That is a long while to be running a fever and I do think it's worth checking it out.

• Like 2

Update: I tested positive for the flu  :thumbdown:  I did get some good cough meds. Otherwise, there's not much I can do. My lungs were clear and I don't have ear infections. The doctor said the fever could last 2-3 more days  :eek:  This is a good thing about my kids being a little older. They can pretty much take care of themselves!

Update: I tested positive for the flu :thumbdown: I did get some good cough meds. Otherwise, there's not much I can do. My lungs were clear and I don't have ear infections. The doctor said the fever could last 2-3 more days :eek: This is a good thing about my kids being a little older. They can pretty much take care of themselves!

I'm glad you went to the doctor and there aren't any secondary infections. I hope it runs its course quickly and you feel better soon.

Dd complained last night that her throat was starting to hurt and I just thought, here we go, prepare for the long haul. This morning it's her throat, her head, and her joints.

I'm curious about how your symptoms started? Was it with a sore throat or cough or fever? Did it come on suddenly or slowly?

I'm just trying to figure out if what we had is the flu.

What was different from the usual virus, besides the long duration, is that dh and I got hit harder than the kids. Usually, it's the opposite. But littlest dd is just starting so we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

I'm glad you went to the doctor and there aren't any secondary infections. I hope it runs its course quickly and you feel better soon.

Dd complained last night that her throat was starting to hurt and I just thought, here we go, prepare for the long haul. This morning it's her throat, her head, and her joints.

I'm curious about how your symptoms started? Was it with a sore throat or cough or fever? Did it come on suddenly or slowly?

I'm just trying to figure out if what we had is the flu.

What was different from the usual virus, besides the long duration, is that dh and I got hit harder than the kids. Usually, it's the opposite. But littlest dd is just starting so we'll have to wait and see.

Mine started with a tickle in my throat for most of the day. Then by late afternoon, the fever hit and I was done.

Ugh! So sorry- I had the flu and it was awful. (I had the flu shot too.) I was sick for a solid week, and then felt pretty bad for another week. The cough took a long time to completely stop. Last night I felt that same tickle in my throat/chest and almost had a panic attack. I hope you feel better soon!