Menu

Gift ideas for a husband

ealp2009

I love this topic because my hubby is sooo hard to buy for too! Consider how he likes to spend his time and look for clues there, and think about things he's mentioned he'd like to enjoy but hasn't started yet. Think about non-material items such as classes, or tickets to an event. Think about something you guys can enjoy together and create a memory! So many options :D  If you're interested, I wrote a post about how to buy a gift for someone who already has everything.

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. He likes technology but I don't feel qualified to purchase him Anything in that department. We do outdoor stuff together. Hmm. Part of the problem is a that he tends to be an impulse shopper so if he thinks of something he wants, and it isn't really expensive he just buys it. So there has been more than one occasion when I planned to get him something for a birthday or holiday and he bought it for himself. I hope that doesn't sound bad. Not that he is just buying himself stuff all the time but it seems every time I think of a great gift, he ends up having already gotten it before his bday comes around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ealp2009
  • Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. He likes technology but I don't feel qualified to purchase him Anything in that department. We do outdoor stuff together. Hmm. Part of the problem is a that he tends to be an impulse shopper so if he thinks of something he wants, and it isn't really expensive he just buys it. So there has been more than one occasion when I planned to get him something for a birthday or holiday and he bought it for himself. I hope that doesn't sound bad. Not that he is just buying himself stuff all the time but it seems every time I think of a great gift, he ends up having already gotten it before his bday comes around.

When I have a good gift idea, I tell my DH not to buy anything between now and his birthday or Christmas :)

• Like 4

Mine loves tickets, experiences, a plan to go places.  I once gave him a backpack with a box inside - the box had 12 black envelopes, with the month written in silver on each one. Inside each month was a pair of tickets or a plan to go somewhere.  It took me some work to gather events pretty far out, but fortunately we live in the land of museums, so a few had upcoming museum exhibits.

If I'm uninspired, I can always give DH art supplies.  

Mine is a techie, too, but I can't buy that for him either.  He has this awesome iPhone case that has nanotech that sticks to walls and stuff - even a shower wall.  It is really cool.  Would yours like something like that?  Mine bought it for himself, but man, I wish I'd thought of it!

Wine always works.  

DH here is a coffee fiend, so I'm contemplating coffee roasting supplies and green beans, as a kick.  We are very particular about our beans, but I could see him getting into roasting his own, too.

Does yours have any interest in brewing beer?  

And I'll fess up - I happily give my DH nice massage oil and a promise to use it.  That doesn't go unappreciated.  :)

• Like 1

Beer, wine, candy, chips. Unique food items can be found at Big Lots.

Workout and hiking equipment.

A nice pillow. Mine loves his stupid pillow, but I love my stupid silk pillowcase so I can't judge.

Tech. Headphones, mouse, wipes to make his computer pretty.

A gift card to a book of the month, beer of the month, Blue Apron or music streaming program.

Telescope or binoculars.

I get stuff for my husband's hobbies.  Or wine...cuz he loves wine.

Can I be your hubby, too?

• Like 1

My Hubby is IMPOSSIBLE to shop for.

His birthday was 2 weeks ago-- so real close to Christmas... doubly hard to buy for!

He did mention that he needed/wanted a new bowling ball and bowling shoes (he is in a league and plays 9-pin in a 100 year old bowling alley with chalk boards to keep score on and teens who set the pins...) .  Yep, the week before his birthday he went out and bought them... grrrrr

So I started thinking about other things that he likes.  He recently (last year or so) started listening to country music. I'm so NOT a country music gal.  I wanted to do something special so I wrote him a country song and sang it to him for his birthday (out of my comfort zone-- but it turned out great!).  DH cried. I'm getting the song copyrighted and I'll frame the certificate...   Just in case he did not like the song I wrote I also bought him tickets to see Blake Shelton (his favorite artist) in Vegas in a few weeks.  We just had our 32nd anniversary so it will be our anniversary outing too!

DH says it was the best gift ever (the song).   Now what can I do to top this next year???

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 3

My ex-husband is hard to shop for. My go-to was (and still is) alcohol - a bottle of nicer scotch, a case of lesser-available imported beer ... the former he's not likely to buy for himself; the latter he enjoys sampling but hates shopping for.

My now-husband is impossible to shop for, and rarely drinks alcohol. He's also a great gift-giver, so the pressure to reciprocate is high. I have to pay attention to what he's planning to buy himself, and try to pre-empt him (examples: DNA kit, tickets to a specific sporting event or concert, watch, etc.)  When that's impossible to do because he's close-lipped, my go-to is a card. I give a detailed "gift of acknowledgement" for all he does for us, his friends, and his family. I throw in a bag of Swedish Fish, his favorites, just for something tangible. LOL  It's no country song, though ... now that is a neat idea!

Have you looked at Man Crates? You may find something to buy, or find inspiration for something you can throw together yourself.

So I started thinking about other things that he likes.  He recently (last year or so) started listening to country music. I'm so NOT a country music gal.  I wanted to do something special so I wrote him a country song and sang it to him for his birthday (out of my comfort zone-- but it turned out great!).  DH cried. I'm getting the song copyrighted and I'll frame the certificate...   Just in case he did not like the song I wrote I also bought him tickets to see Blake Shelton (his favorite artist) in Vegas in a few weeks.  We just had our 32nd anniversary so it will be our anniversary outing too!

DH says it was the best gift ever (the song).   Now what can I do to top this next year???

Get Blake Shelton to record your song.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm getting my hard to buy for hubby some Man Crates for his birthday. They look fun and unique. I am torn between the whiskey drinkers one, the knife or ax one, and a bacon one. He loves whiskey, loves being a pseudo lumberjack, and has mad several custom pens on his lathe. He'll like all of them I think!