Menu

Conceptual Chemistry--teacher edition?

My copy of Conceptual Chemistry came last week and I'm excited about going through this next year with my Humanities boy who loves science concepts, but gets all balled up with the math.  I have the 3rd edition (diver on the front).  It looks just right for his level (10th grade next year, and doing DIVE ICP this year and barely keeping his head above water)-- I think it will be challenging, but not overwhelming.  I also plan on having him read The Elements (and The Molecules, if I can find it cheaply), Napoleon's Buttons, and work through Faraday's Chemical History of a Candle (using these videos and text). We will do the easy labs in the book, and view others online ( the PBS Georgia Chem course).  Video labs are accepted in my state as fulfilling graduation requirements.

My copy of Conceptual Chem was in new condition, and had the unopened CD with the teaching videos on it.  Looks great.

Now, is there such a creature as a Teacher's Edition for the 3rd ed.?  Something that will have the answers to the end of chapter questions, and a schedule/pacing guide or teaching notes?  I *need* hand holding for teaching a chemistry course, even a "lighter" conceptual one.  I'm aware of the website that John Suchocki has to go with the book, but the stuff on there seems geared to the newer editions of the book.  

Thoughts?

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

There is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Chemistry-Third-Instructor-Manual/dp/0805382283

But there's no guarantee it contains the things you're looking for. :)  Some instructor manuals I've seen contain mostly tips for the most efficient way to teach the topics to a classroom full of students or ideas on how to have the students work together on discovery learning-type activities - not exactly helpful in a homeschool situation.

It's also not technically legal for folks to be buying or selling these manuals.  They are only supposed to be sold to educational institutions or to registered instructors of educational institutions.  Just FYI. :)

You could try contacting John Suchocki directly at John@ConceptualChemistry.com, explaining your situation to him, and seeing if he would be willing to share any resources or suggestions.

• Like 1

There is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Chemistry-Third-Instructor-Manual/dp/0805382283

But there's no guarantee it contains the things you're looking for. :)  Some instructor manuals I've seen contain mostly tips for the most efficient way to teach the topics to a classroom full of students or ideas on how to have the students work together on discovery learning-type activities - not exactly helpful in a homeschool situation.

It's also not technically legal for folks to be buying or selling these manuals.  They are only supposed to be sold to educational institutions or to registered instructors of educational institutions.  Just FYI. :)

You could try contacting John Suchocki directly at [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>, explaining your situation to him, and seeing if he would be willing to share any resources or suggestions.

Thanks for the link...it did see another one for sale online earlier today...I didn't buy it. 

But I did email Mr. Suchocki, who replied quickly.  Here's a copy:

Thank you for your interest in Conceptual Chemistry. 

Have you yet explored LearnScience.Academy? This is a site we built as a support for home schoolers looking to use our Conceptual Academy course management system. 

I had to switch material around as I created the 4th edition. This concerns mostly the first five chapters. So, the more recent 5th and 4th editions work quite well with the chemistry courses we now offer at Conceptual Academy. For the 3rd edition, the chapter sequence is a bit skewed.

As described at LearnScience.Academy, you’ll find I’ve already “blocked out†four potential schedules for you. Here’s a direct link to the chemistry course description pages:

With each of our courses, you’ll have access to a rich support system: A library of 230 of my chemistry video lessons (essentially a talking textbook), weekly lesson plans, daily study advice, chapter summaries, worksheets, homework assignments, chemistry interactive simulations, automated quizzes tracked in an automated grade book, and most importantly, unit exams. We provide all of this to free you up for the most important and rewarding aspects of homeschooling, which is being there, like a coach, to help your student learn. 

I’ve a question for you: How did you find out about Conceptual Chemistry?

Also, I can tell you that for the month of March we’ll be having a 20% discount on all of our courses, where each course remains active through to June 2018.

I look forward to hearing back from you. Please let me know how I might be of any further assistance.

Good chemistry,

John

The online course he linked looks lovely, but too much $ for my current budget.  So, I guess that means * I'm*  working my way though Conceptual Chemistry now before I try to teach it next year.  

(teaching high school math and science is going to be the death of me... :leaving:   Sorry, STEM folks, but it's the truth).

• Like 1

Nice that he replied so quickly!  Hope you can find a solution that works for you. :)

No need to apologize about not wanting to teach high school math and science.  There's a reason my dd's high school English is outsourced.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses. ;) :)

• Like 2