Menu

Help with placement

aromaverde

I have a 9 year old who is very bright, reads well, but spelling and writing are a challenge for him.  We have never done a formal grammar or writing program until now, which is BJU 3.  I like it, but as a mother and teacher I don't love it- not sure it will carry over to real writing experiences and he needs the constant review.  Our method of homeschooling is Charlotte Mason and classical.  I was thinking about getting Writing with Ease teacher guide to use in our history selections.  But not sure where to start him/which level?  1?  2?

I was also thinking about First Language Lessons (but I am not a huge fan of diagramming sentences) .  If I do FLL, which level would I start him off at?  2 or 3?  Any other suggestions for a grammar program that does not require diagramming?  I want him to love English and writing and I feel the diagramming would make him dread it.  

I'm sorry you feel that way about diagramming.  I find it can be a love or hate relationship.  We start off with a hands on approach to it - Montessori symbols, colored lines, using The First Whole Book Of Diagrams (a simple book that progresses from subject/predicate to more advanced sentences).

You can try a program that omits diagramming, but most will have a way to analyze sentences built in.

There is a placement test for WWE on the Peace Hill Press website. I'd start there. :)

For FLL, probably 3. FWIW, my 8yo (technical, mathy) kiddo has appreciated the visual of diagramming to solidify what the parts of speech are actually doing. It makes it more like math. LOL The subject always goes there. It's verb always goes there. It makes grammar make more sense to her. If you want more freedom to scratch out extra diagramming exercises Rod and Staff's English 3 may be a better option. We do R&S orally and my DC put the diagrams on a whiteboard. This kept it short 'n sweet yet effective.

No diagramming options are Easy Grammar (didn't work here), Growing With Grammar, or just waiting until he's ready for something like Junior Analytical Grammar.

• Like 1

How about MCT for grammar?  It doesn't teach much other than grammar (so not much in the way of capitalization or punctuation, for example), but it gives a fabulous foundation (and will make diagramming much easier, should you eventually use a resource that requires it).

The WWE teacher book is a great resource, though I disagree that children should be only doing copywork and dictation for first and second grade.

• Like 1

The Complete Writer is the WWE explained. WWE 2 or 3 is it all pre-done for you. If your child hasn't done dictation much, I'd start with 2 or at least in the middle of it. Or you can definitely pick up with your history and science selections. It's called writing across the curriculum. SWB has a few great lectures on WTM Press's website that explains the methodology behind teaching writing that's very helpful.

I have a 9 year old who is very bright, reads well, but spelling and writing are a challenge for him.  We have never done a formal grammar or writing program until now, which is BJU 3.  I like it, but as a mother and teacher I don't love it- not sure it will carry over to real writing experiences and he needs the constant review.  Our method of homeschooling is Charlotte Mason and classical.  I was thinking about getting Writing with Ease teacher guide to use in our history selections.  But not sure where to start him/which level?  1?  2?

I was also thinking about First Language Lessons (but I am not a huge fan of diagramming sentences) .  If I do FLL, which level would I start him off at?  2 or 3?  Any other suggestions for a grammar program that does not require diagramming?  I want him to love English and writing and I feel the diagramming would make him dread it.  

I like Writing Strands. Have you seen it? And for grammar, Easy Grammar. No diagramming. :-)