Menu

Would you switch a non-math kid from Saxon to Jacobs Algebra?

My oldest two like math and did well with Harold Jacobs for Algebra 1.  My DD is not a math person at all.  The last 2 years she has done Saxon (7/6 and 8/7).  Do you a think a non-math person could make the jump to Jacob's algebra?  Or are they likely to struggle? I have a hard time assessing this because I'm a math person and all the Algebra books look extremely easy to me.  I don't want to overwhelm her but at the same point it would be great if I didn't have to buy a whole new set of curriculum. (with the closing of Landry we don't have enough set aside to cover costs for next year and trying to figure out areas that I can cut costs).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I am not planning to take my kid who does well w/ Saxon and try Jacobs.  We've been doing Jacob's w/ my older student, an while I don't know if the younger one would necessarily fail at it, I don't think it gives the kind of review that she needs.  To me, it's not a matter of a stronger curriclum, it's a matter of what it takes for the math to stay in my kid's head.  Saxon just works for her, so we will stick with it until it isn't working anymore.  Hopefully you can find a used copy, Saxon normally isn't super-expensive. 

• Like 1

My opinion is that Jacobs is extremely gentle, and it develops concepts in a way that make them likely to be remembered.  Saxon, at least the books I've used (2-8/7) does teach concepts, but seems to rely on an extreme amount of rote practice to get them to stick.  At least with my kids, all that practice seemed to make them forget the underlying concepts, and when the practice stopped, so did retention. 

The problem would come in if you were to just hand her the Jacobs book and tell her to go for it.  I would teach the lessons to her and, if she needs it, sit with her while doing the Set II problems.  She would then do the Set III problems on her own.

• Like 2

Well, Saxon is pretty cheap on the used market, especially the older editions. You might try that if it's working well for her.

To answer the question, my math struggler crashed with Jacobs and ended up in MUS with a tutor. He has serious ADHD and probably undxed Aspergers which could have been factors in Jacobs not working.

• Like 1

IF you have some kind of daily teaching program, Jacobs would be fine for a non-math kid. It may really help her learn to like math again but you really really need the DVD teacher...unless you're going to teach it yourself every day step by step and can come up with extra examples.....  Ask Dr. Callahan comes to mind. :)

There's really nothing like Saxon to kill someone's love of math and pulverize it to the ground (and this is coming from soemone who has subjected my kids to numerous years of it)

Now that we have found Derek Owens we will never go back.

Have you looked at DO?

• Like 2

IF you have some kind of daily teaching program, Jacobs would be fine for a non-math kid. It may really help her learn to like math again but you really really need the DVD teacher...unless you're going to teach it yourself every day step by step and can come up with extra examples.....  Ask Dr. Callahan comes to mind. :)

There's really nothing like Saxon to kill someone's love of math and pulverize it to the ground (and this is coming from soemone who has subjected my kids to numerous years of it)

Now that we have found Derek Owens we will never go back.

Have you looked at DO?

I had Saxon Algebra way back in the dark ages and I hated it.  I couldn't stand all the repetition.  I avoided it at all costs with my older kids.  But this DD doesn't take to math the way her older brothers or I do and I knew she couldn't go straight from Singapore 6B into Jacob's Algebra like they had so I gave Saxon a whirl and she LIKES it.  She does use the DVD's that come from Saxon and with either choice she would continue to use the DVD's.  We have the Dr. Callahan stuff.  So if she could handle it, my cost is $0, if I switch to Saxon the cost is $145 unless I happen to find it used.  Even if I wanted to use DO there is no way we could swing it, new (to us) books plus an online class are seriously out of the budget for this year.  Next year I will have a better budget set up but we had Landry classes prepaid so hadn't been setting much aside for education because all we needed were minimal materials cost.  With their closing what we had set aside went to pay for classes this semester.  It's only been 6 weeks since I had to pay those classes and now it's time to pay for next year.  Just not enough time to accumulate funds for online classes. So for this year making everything as cheap as possible is the goal.

Edited by cjzimmer1

Since you are comfortable teaching the math, why not just use what you have? She won't be left to fend for herself if you are available to help her. You may want to consider creating your own kind of review within the program if you don't think it is strong enough on review for your daughter. It would take a little extra time for you to create the review, but would be cheap or free.

We're doing Jacobs's right now and I don't think it's too hard for a "non-mathy" kid. I agree with the above sentiment that it's more that it's conceptual. Having the Set I problems means that it should be able to be made easy enough. I don't actually think the Set II problems are that much harder either. And there are two review sets for every chapter that are both on the easy side. With good teaching - and especially knowing you have budgetary constraints - I think you should definitely just use the Jacobs's. And if it turns out too hard, you can always re-evaluate.