Menu

In a pickle...ds took online Election class- need Constitution Test & State Constitution test would you

Use Thinkwell Government class to complete requirements? Do a Civics class? We are at a complete standstill because I honestly do not have a clue on what to do. It is my goal to just have him complete his government credit this year, but I did not think things through and now I am all over the place. We used Homeschool Contections Election class and we did field trips, interviews and extra reading so he would get .05 credit. But now what...in my mind he needs to finish the year with government...But what would be best...idk,

Have you covered enough of the topics that are typically covered in a Government course to call it good? A Government course usually covers the following topics:

- types of government

- US Constitution

- Articles and Amendments

- Legislative branch (Congress; how a bill becomes law)

- Judicial branch (courts; Supreme Court; key court cases)

- Executive branch (President; the bureaucracy)

- Elections, Political Parties

If you just need to fill in a few areas, I'd suggest just read the chapters needed from something quick like The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Government, or Barron's Painless American Government. Or watch some videos on the topics -- the Standard Deviants Government series, or the Crash Course Government series (50 episodes, each about 8-9 min. long).

I used some of these online seminars when we did government.  I think they are still available, but have not updated the dates on the site.  https://www.montpelier.org/center-for-the-constitution/online-courses

I used some of this book for Bill of Rights cases in a government coop.  http://www.criticalthinking.com/you-decide.html

I also like this one for Landmark Supreme Court Cases.  There is a paperback version, as well as free downloads of the book.  http://www.annenbergclassroom.org/page/the-pursuit-of-justice

Have you covered enough of the topics that are typically covered in a Government course to call it good? A Government course usually covers the following topics:

- types of government

- US Constitution

- Articles and Amendments

- Legislative branch (Congress; how a bill becomes law)

- Judicial branch (courts; Supreme Court; key court cases)

- Executive branch (President; the bureaucracy)

- Elections, Political Parties

If you just need to fill in a few areas, I'd suggest just read the chapters needed from something quick like The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Government, or Barron's Painless American Government. Or watch some videos on the topics -- the Standard Deviants Government series, or the

series (50 episodes, each about 8-9 min. long).
Thank you-

Yes, we have covered some of the above...Do they make u take a Constitution test or is a combined test used? I will be checking out and pulling what he has not covered from you suggestions.

I used some of these online seminars when we did government. I think they are still available, but have not updated the dates on the site. https://www.montpelier.org/center-for-the-constitution/online-courses

I used some of this book for Bill of Rights cases in a government coop. http://www.criticalthinking.com/you-decide.html

I also like this one for Landmark Supreme Court Cases. There is a paperback version, as well as free downloads of the book. http://www.annenbergclassroom.org/page/the-pursuit-of-justice

Yes, happy dancing...they are still available-thank you. Matter of fact I believe the CT book is around here somewhere. Do you by chance have a list of what cases should be covered?

Thank you-

Yes, we have covered some of the above...Do they make u take a Constitution test or is a combined test used? I will be checking out and pulling what he has not covered from you suggestions.

No tests or quizzes are part of the books/videos I linked. Or do you mean does your state require a test? Or do you need/want a test of some kind for proof of credit?? Not quite clear on your question here... 

Yes, happy dancing...they are still available-thank you. Matter of fact I believe the CT book is around here somewhere. Do you by chance have a list of what cases should be covered?

I made sure that my kids knew what each of the amendments were and we studied a couple in more detail. You could pick a couple you think are important or in current events or less understood.

Is there a specific state requirement you are needing to meet?

No tests or quizzes are part of the books/videos I linked. Or do you mean does your state require a test? Or do you need/want a test of some kind for proof of credit?? Not quite clear on your question here...

Sorry for the confusion...just read what I wrote 😜Doozy so sorry. Yes we need a test for proof of credit- and I believe it can be a combination of US and state. I appreciate your input...thanks Edited by Ggg

So I'm guessing that you need to have some kind of a test that can be reviewed in a portfolio assessment?  Or is there an actual state test that your student needs to pass?

I have sometimes found examples of released tests on certain subjects that I could use at home either as a practice test or as a way of measuring if my student has a reasonable baseline of understanding about a subject.  

Virginia has released Standards of Learning tests for Civics and Economics.  These might give you an idea of what sort of questions are typical on a test like this.  You would want to substitute items related to your state for the Virginia specific questions.

So I'm guessing that you need to have some kind of a test that can be reviewed in a portfolio assessment? Or is there an actual state test that your student needs to pass?

Yes, portfolio assessment...I can work with the link you gave me - Thank you 😊

Side bar note: plugged in what you gave me using my state...can we say treasure trove of information...it tells me what cases need to be studied and more. You are awesome and I appreciate your input. Have a blessed week!

Edited by Ggg
  • Like 1