Menu

Court.....Have you ever been? Had to testify?

Ottakee

I served on a jury back when I was in college. I sued a tenant for eviction and just had to give a statement since the tenant didn't show. I pled guilty to having a dog at large (he jumped over our fence and held up traffic on the freeway -oops!) and got a deferment of half the fine. Oh, and we went to court to have my do adopt my daughter, but I don't even think we made statements. It was a formality.

I once had to appear in court as a representative for a deceased defendant. I was executor of the defendant's estate and had to appear in court to have the charges dismissed. I went to the courthouse thinking I would have to schedule something. But when they realized I was there (small town & I had traveled from out-of-state), the judge immediately cleared his docket.

I was ushered into the courtroom so suddenly that I walked up to the bench with my baby in my arms, because it didn't occur to me to hand him off to anyone. The judge told me that he had heard of the death and expressed his condolences. Then he verified that I was the executor and that the defendant was deceased, and he dismissed all charges. Nobody seemed to notice or mind that I had a baby in my arms, because . . . small town?! 

• Like 3

I once had to appear in court as a representative for a deceased defendant. I was executor of the defendant's estate and had to appear in court to have the charges dismissed. I went to the courthouse thinking I would have to schedule something. But when they realized I was there (small town & I had traveled from out-of-state), the judge immediately cleared his docket.

I was ushered into the courtroom so suddenly that I walked up to the bench with my baby in my arms, because it didn't occur to me to hand him off to anyone. The judge told me that he had heard of the death and expressed his condolences. Then he verified that I was the executor and that the defendant was deceased, and he dismissed all charges. Nobody seemed to notice or mind that I had a baby in my arms, because . . . small town?! 

You gotta love small towns for some things.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention in my first comment that I have been in one of our local courtrooms, but not for a trial or anything. We have a "Story time with the judges" night once a year. It's open to all young families in the community. A few of the judges read stories to the kids in the law library at the courthouse, then they open one of the courtrooms for kids to see it and take pictures. It was nice for my kids to see where their dad works sometimes. DH is a family and general practice attorney.

• Like 3

My wife has been to court a few times, before we met - once for possessing a knife (switchblade or something?) that was like an inch longer than was legally allowed when she and friends got pulled over (her friends got busted on drug charges, she didn't),

I forgot to clarify that it's not like she was waving the knife around in the officer's face - they searched the car because of the friends' drug stuff, and found it in the trunk or something. She didn't even know it was illegal (I mean, for real... I didn't know some knives were illegal either).

I testified once on behalf of a child denied disability; the family was contesting the decision with more evidence from teachers and care providers.  It was stressful, but not intimidating.  The judge sat at the head of a long table, with the family, the family's attorney, and various teachers and care providers seated around the table.  The judge was kind and thanked everyone for their testimony, and later decided the case in favor of the family. 

• Like 1

I've had to testify once or twice due to my job, once for a street crime I witnessed in front of my house.

I was a court advocate so I've prepared...gosh... lots and lots of children and teenagers and a few adults for court both family and criminal.  (I've had to train a few brand new ADAs as well, lol)

Edited by redsquirrel

I was asked to testify on behalf of a fellow teacher, but they ended up not using my testimony as they had people who were closer to the situation willing to do it.  I did watch part of the trial though.

I was also asked to testify for a guy up in Seattle who I saw getting strangled by his coworkers on a construction site.  But I lived in LA, and I was pregnant, I couldn't travel.  I was the one who called the police and was the witness.  The lawyer told me I saved his life.  I remember giving my eye witness account to the police and another construction worker came over and, in front of the police, told me I should have minded my own business as it was just a minor dispute.  I calmly looked at him and said, "Well, then, there won't be any real percussions to the perpetrator will there?  But I will error on the side of caution because I saw your buddy strangling a man and I couldn't stand by and watch his eyes bug out."  He said, "Ma'am, you have some nerve."  I said, "Thank you!"   hahahahaha

• Like 2

I've seen the inside of a court as a friend, to keep a friend company-- going through family court hearings, and her husband's criminal court case also- so two different venues. I watched a lot of other cases while we waited for ours. Since I wasn't actively a witness or participant- I was just there for support- I was able to notice a lot of things.

Though I may seem critical, I do believe that I saw justice served, more or less. But here are some of the things I noticed:

1. I don't think that everyone who works in the court keeps it constantly in mind that this is maybe the worst day of their lives for some of the people there. I saw judges trying to crack jokes, and it was just not the moment. I saw people hoping for God's sake to have the thing done with today, and on edge every moment, having to wait hours and hours after their appointed time.

2. These courtrooms were a lot simpler, dingier, older, and more poorly lit than the ones you see on TV.

3. People have a kind of idea that you will have 'your day in court', when even if you are not vindicated, you will get to say your piece in front of the world. But the way I saw it work was that the lawyers on the various sides met out in the hallway and then presented their agreement to the judge, and the person never got to say their piece.

4. One case we saw was a young woman who was asking to remove a restraining order against her boyfriend. The judge asked her, right in front of the guy, 'are you afraid of him?' Of course she said no. What was the use of asking her, in front of him? How could that possibly be a reliable answer? Why would a judge who specializes in family court and domestic violence think that this is okay? The order was removed. I hope she is OK, because the guy looked kinda scary.

5. My friend and I tried to find anything to distract ourselves from the painful situation she was in: we found it in one of the lawyer's hairstyle. It just towered over his head and he really looked odd. We could not stop giggling. At least it was something to distract her. I will always remember that.

Once.  I was called as a witness by the Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) for a child that was my patient for medical neglect.  The problem was that DFCS never really talked to me, especially before court and did not  call any other witnesses.  The main thing I testified was that the parents did not keep their appointments on a regular basis.  The parents thought since I was the main/only witness that I was the one that instigated the case against them which was not the truth.   My relationship with them from that point on was very strained and the child was the one that suffered.  The parents were young but did not deserve what they were put through and in the end, of course they just needed help.  There was a lot of potential there and I always wonder what happened to the little girl.  

1. Testified as a witness in a civil suit between the owner and manager who I used to work for. The owner called me to testify. I lived out of the area so I dont think the manager thouht I would be there. When I walked in, the manager's attorney looked at me and audibly said "oh, crap". The owner won.

2. My son was accused of a felony he didn't commit. We went to several court dates and a trial for him. I testified on his behalf, but the judge dismissed my testimony because I was his mom. He was aquitted butvI think I lost a few years off my life during that time, just due to the stress

3. Lots and lots of family court for dd10 during the foster years and subsequent guardianship. Some in hearing rooms and some in courtrooms.

4. Another time that I cant remember. It was before the first one, and a similar situation. Lol don't know why I cant remember, since I can recall all of that....memory is funny sometimes.

Edited by Tap

It was a thing in VA at least in the 1980's for teen drivers. You had to appear to get your physical license. I've never heard of it anywhere else.

Ohhhh, now I get what happened. 

I had read: "I got my license back when you had to appear in court..."

as: "I got my license back (meaning REINSTATED)..."

and I thought, wow, 16 is really young to already have had your license revoked for too many violations.  No wonder you have to go to court and get a lecture to get your license reinstated.

:blushing: