Menu

Court.....Have you ever been? Had to testify?

Ottakee

I was thinking yesterday that there are people who have never been to court, let alone had to testify.

Me, I could be flying around the world if court gave our frequent flier miles (which they don't).

Have you ever been to court? Had to testify?

• Like 1

So far, I don't recall any time when I've had to attend a court case involving me or mine, unless you count traffic court.  (Definitely been to traffic court.)

As a law student, I had a job where my boss asked me to sit in on the trial of a child murderer in order to get ideas for the upcoming appeal of his wife / accomplice.  That was ... different.

I may have been in courtrooms at other times, I just don't remember.

I've never been to court or even had to report for jury duty. When I was 11-12 the woman who lived across the street, where I spent a lot of time and even babysat, was murdered by her husband. I wanted to go to that trial but my parents didn't let me. My dad went.

I've been in a courtroom three times:

1. I was called to jury duty, but was rejected as a juror.

2. My homeschool co-op went to a courthouse on a field trip and sat in a courtroom where a judge talked to us.

3. I was invited to a historic courthouse to take pictures as a photographer with a group of photographers.

I have never seen a case live and have never testified.

I've been to traffic court 3 times. *Hangs head in shame* I have to tell you, it's humbling to stand before a judge, have your transgressions read aloud, and have to look the judge in eye and say, "Guilty." Maybe it's my faith (Christian), but it was very moving. (Speeding: 25 years ago. Speeding: 2.5 years ago. Illegal left turn (I never saw the sign!): 2 years ago.)

We sued an evil sub-contractor. My Dh took the witness stand. It made me a little nervous for him, but it was far worse for me to witness the evil sub-contractor spew lies about my DH under oath. We won our case. We'll never see the settlement we won, but we won. I've never felt so vindicated. 

I was called for jury duty, but didn't have to serve.

Best court experience ever: observing a Supreme Court case! One attorney was so nervous, that I got nervous for him! We were not involved at all, just had a friend who had a friend who worked there and got us in and gave us an amazing tour. (What is the highest court in the land? It's not what you think, lol.) We followed the case, checking for months for the decision to be published. The side we thought should win did win. No, Clarence Thomas didn't speak (but he reclined in his seat a lot). Stephen Breyer was funny and basically said, "Talk to me like I'm 4." If Ruth Ginsburg had not blinked, I'd have thought she was a statue. Amazing opportunity!

• Like 6

Never been to court. I was going to say that I've never been to a courthouse, but actually I think the place we had to go for our marriage license was a courthouse.

I was never even called for jury duty until a couple of times in the last 2 years, but I was automatically excused because I'm the primary caretaker of young children. 

Had to testify once at a drunk driver case. In a past life I was a lab technician at a trauma centre. They questioned us regarding the Chain of Custody of the sealed ethanol sample. Defense was trying to prove we did something wrong with the samples. Which they try to prove all the time, so we're used to that.

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

I believe when my adoption was finalized I was present in court, but I was an infant, somjust guessinbased on pictures on the courthouse steps.

Jury summons twice: served once, rejected once.

I attended when SweetChild and some friends sang the national anthem and some patriotic songs at a citizenship/naturalization ceremony. Her friends dad is a judge and presided over the event. I believe there were about 50 new citizens. That was an awesome experience all around!

• Like 2

I testify every time my cases come up in court as a CASA for kids in the foster system. Sometimes that's involved, and sometimes it's not much.

Once I had to testify in a civil case. I've been dismissed every time I've been called for jury duty, but I have had to report for selection.

Hubby has had to testify in fraud cases for his work (governmental auditing). He's also been dismissed during jury selection when called.

Edited by sbgrace

I've never had to testify nor have I ever been called for the possibility. However, the one and only time I received a jury summons I was chosen to serve on the jury. Dh gets a summons about every other year but has never been chosen. I got called once in my life so far (about 30 years ago) and got picked.

I believe when my adoption was finalized I was present in court, but I was an infant, somjust guessinbased on pictures on the courthouse steps.

Jury summons twice: served once, rejected once.

I attended when SweetChild and some friends sang the national anthem and some patriotic songs at a citizenship/naturalization ceremony. Her friends dad is a judge and presided over the event. I believe there were about 50 new citizens. That was an awesome experience all around!

I've been to court for adoption finalizations.  With DS, it was a like a mini-party - his birthfamily, our extended family, it was quite the crowd.  The judge loved babies, so DS's guardian ad litem took DS back to see the judge before we all started.  Bouncing baby boy, and all that.  It was fun, and actually a great experience.  Your post reminded me of it, and made me smile.  Our judge smiled a lot that day, and commented on the experience.

• Like 1

I should probably note that I have been at the courthouse dealing with judges at different times for routine civil matters (adoption, name change, probate), but it was not done in a courtroom so I don't think of it as "being to court."

I have been called for jury duty a number of times, but always got out of it.  First because lawyers used to be exempt from jury duty in my state, and then because I met several of the other exemption criteria (single parent, sole family breadwinner, key business partner who can't take a bunch of time off).  I think it would be interesting to sit on a jury and wouldn't mind doing so when life is less busy.  :)

Edited by SKL

I have been as the plaintiff in small claims court. I had to present the case/evidence, even though the defendant didn't show up LOL. Judge said I was the most prepared  :laugh: . I had a 3 ring binder of all the printed emails/screen shots in chronological order and phone numbers/notes of all the police departments involved for myself, 1 for him, and 1 for the defendant.

We won and got part of the $ back before she disappeared.

• Like 1

I got my driver's license back when you had to appear in court and have the judge lecture you on the rights and responsibilities thereof to get it. That was fun (and very scary at 16. I don't know if they still do that or if adults ever had to do it). I provided written testimony for a friend in family court, but didn't get called to testify. And we went as a homeschool field trip.

I've been in the pool for federal jury duty three times, but never got beyond the "call every night to see if you have to go in the next day" stage.

• Like 1

I served on a jury earlier this month. It was the first time I'd ever been called to be in a jury pool, and I was chosen. It was a civil case, and we needed a verdict of 9-3 either way. We were unanimous.

Several years ago I was called as a witness in a divorce proceeding and was asked one or two questions by the judge.

I got my driver's license back when you had to appear in court and have the judge lecture you on the rights and responsibilities thereof to get it. That was fun (and very scary at 16. I don't know if they still do that or if adults ever had to do it). I provided written testimony for a friend in family court, but didn't get called to testify. And we went as a homeschool field trip.

I've been in the pool for federal jury duty three times, but never got beyond the "call every night to see if you have to go in the next day" stage.

I had to do this too. How could I forget? I must be older than you, lol. 

Yes. Once when I was 18 and a semi driver and I had a road rage incident.  We were both ticketed, but he didn't show up to testify against me so it was dropped.

I went to court as a witness in a traffic accident where I saw the driver switch seats with the passenger.  When they saw me there they pled out and I didn't have to testify.

And then I had to testify in my divorce.  That sucked.  Still makes me quesy to think about it.  And it has been 7 years.

Never been to court. For anything.

The only thing court-related I've done is some adoption paperwork, but it was all handled by the Clerk's office. So we never went into the actual courtroom and never saw a judge.

I have a speeding ticket court date next week that I have to decide if I'm going to go to or use pay it. If I go, and get lectured and still have to pay the whole amount, I will be humiliated. I do have what I feel is a good reason for speeding, but there's no guarantee the judge will even listen to me.

Yes. I had to testify to get involuntary help for a roommate who suffered a psychotic break. My testimony wasn't really necessary though because not only did she not recognize me but she attacked the judge. As far as I know, she is doing well on her own now with the proper medication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many times, to argue motions (commercial litigation).  The very first time, Jerk Partner sent me in to argue a stupid scheduling motion that I had zero chance of winning, just for the practice.  Not that he told me this.  Jerk Partner snuck in to watch and later told me my error was in failing to wear green in Judge <insert extremely Irish name>'s courtroom on St Patty's Day in Chicago.  (and now I feel really old; that was 20 yrs ago next month)

Then there was the time I was newly pregnant with dd and very nauseous.  The whole time I was up before the judge, I was clinging to the little counter thing where we put our papers and trying to spy the wastebasket, wondering what would happen if I puked.

My dh has way better stories but he goes frequently.

• Like 1

To traffic court once, about a year ago, because my inspection was like 5 days overdue (which only happened because it failed the first inspection, and then I got the flu). The judge gave me a warning (so I didn't have to pay anything) and told me he never wanted to see me again. My wife has been to court a few times, before we met - once for possessing a knife (switchblade or something?) that was like an inch longer than was legally allowed when she and friends got pulled over (her friends got busted on drug charges, she didn't), and I forget the details of some of the others. She's been called for jury duty a couple of times or so, but hasn't had to serve (I think they just didn't get to her either time).

Yes. Once when I was 18 and a semi driver and I had a road rage incident.  We were both ticketed, but he didn't show up to testify against me so it was dropped.

My instructor in truck driving school told about the time he got pulled over for speeding in California. The cop claimed he was going 75, which he argued was impossible, because the truck was throttled at 67. Of course, that was still over the speed limit (and, to the class he admitted he was going over the limit, but nowhere near 75), but that pretty much proved that the cop was lying (it was not a down-hill stretch). BUT, if you're driving 48 states, it can be quite expensive to arrange to be in the right state on the court date (as in, your boss doesn't care, so you could be assigned a load for Maine when court expects you to be in CA). So, he didn't go to court and just paid the ticket.

Edited by luuknam

I've been to court for adoption finalizations.  With DS, it was a like a mini-party - his birthfamily, our extended family, it was quite the crowd.  The judge loved babies, so DS's guardian ad litem took DS back to see the judge before we all started.  Bouncing baby boy, and all that.  It was fun, and actually a great experience.  Your post reminded me of it, and made me smile.  Our judge smiled a lot that day, and commented on the experience.

Aren't some family court judges cool? :) We have one that has his picture taken with the kids on his lap during an adoption.

• Like 1

I was on a jury for a murder trial recently. That was terrible but interesting, too. I was VERY glad they had a video of the actual incident, because while I knew the guy was a dirty, controlling, abusive...and ultimately, murderous...s.o.b., without the video evidence, there wasn't enough evidence for a conviction.

But there was a video, thanks to the scumbag's own video surveillance. He pulled his gun, waved it and threatened his girlfriend, then shot her (on camera). He then proceeded to move her from one vehicle to another and calmly walk around getting rid of stuff [drugs, probably, but we couldn't see what] while she bled out and died. And it was all caught on film. Guilty on all counts. It amazes me that he actually plead not guilty! I hope they locked him up and threw away the key.  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

(Still very fresh in my memory.)

Aren't some family court judges cool? :) We have one that has his picture taken with the kids on his lap during an adoption.

Oh, that is super cool!  I wish we'd thought to get a pic of the judge that day.  He was just incredible.  And so, so kind to our son's birthmother, too.  It was a good day.  We had an open house afterward, with SWs and the GAL invited, too.  Judge had lots of props from all.  :)

Wish all judges were that amazing!

• Like 1

I've been to court once and I've testified in court once (same time), as a character witness for a friend in a child custody case. I was extremely nervous, but even the former partner's lawyer treated me respectfully and it was not nearly as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be.

I got my driver's license back when you had to appear in court and have the judge lecture you on the rights and responsibilities thereof to get it. That was fun (and very scary at 16. I don't know if they still do that or if adults ever had to do it).

My guess is that was a local/state thing? I've had my license for 35+ years and never heard of anything like that.