Menu

Would you consider an 3x week university model school...

Ellie, can you expand on why you wouldn't do it?  Do you have any suggestions for things in the community to try?  I always felt that age segregated activities were silly and not beneficial, but after having teenagers I'm beginning to wonder if I am underestimating the importance of it. From reading your posts over the years, I know you are a big proponent of support groups.  I would love to have something like that, but we seem to only have homeschool "classes" in our area( where you pay the teacher and drop your kid off).

That would be the only school I would consider for any reason.   I wonder if we are thinking of the same schools since TX is in your name?   

Might there be an activity that she could do?  Something involving talking like an art class or sewing class?   Or games?   Something that involves gathering together and talking.  

I know several friends whose children attend the University Model school out here.  My oldest really wanted to attend for about 18 months (for the socialization aspect), but it's cost prohibitive for us.  That said, my friends who use it love it.  I know a few who teach to offset the cost.  Ours has a great community and lots of opportunities for making friends.

I would consider it in your situation, if it had a good reputation, if I could afford it, and if it would meet my goals.

Deleted because OP deleted her post

I think you might be considering the university model school my oldest attends. Right now she just attends one day a week and next year she will be doing the same, but when she gets in 9th grade I am enrolling her in at least two and hopefully three classes. Send me a pm if you want some information about the school. If it's the one I'm thinking of, my dd raves about how kind and welcoming the kids are. We also drive about 45 minutes one way for her to attend, but it's worth it to me because we love it that much.

Edited by Chelli
  • Like 1

I would consider it for her, definitely, but the preschoolers with the long drive would be a dealbreaker for me. I just don't believe in raising little ones that way, if it can be helped at all.

I'm sorry to throw cold water, but since all the other responses are about dd, I thought I'd speak to that concern since you brought it up.

Would there be any possibility of a car pool, or does a bus go that way...?

Ds does not necessarily get a ton out of the book choices. It has just plugged him to a fun group. They tend to be the kids who volunteer. They have planned an anti-Valentines party. There was an Improv Night that he helped set up because someone just had a fun idea. The book club just got him out of the house to regularly see the same kids.

• Like 1

I would absolutely do that for a teen. I have a 20 year old, and looking back over his high school years, he was very lonely. I'd do anything to be able to go back and put him in a program where he could have made more friends. Your preschoolers will be fine. You may even meet another family to carpool with.

Edited by mamakelly
  • Like 2

I got a job at a university-model school this year and it's been a big change for us from straight homeschooling. Being new to the area it has helped us all meet people more quickly. Especially my teen. I think in your situation I'd try it. What's a year or a semester in the end? If it's not helpful drop it, but if it helps then you've found your solution. Especially if you live in an area with few homeschoolers.

• Like 2

Ellie, can you expand on why you wouldn't do it?  Do you have any suggestions for things in the community to try?  I always felt that age segregated activities were silly and not beneficial, but after having teenagers I'm beginning to wonder if I am underestimating the importance of it. From reading your posts over the years, I know you are a big proponent of support groups.  I would love to have something like that, but we seem to only have homeschool "classes" in our area( where you pay the teacher and drop your kid off).

For high school-age children, the drop-off classes are not a bad thing, if they teach something you cannot (e.g., foreign languages, higher maths, lab sciences).

It's the social aspect that is important, not the fact that your child is spending time with her age peers. There could be volunteer opportunities in your community that would help provide social interaction, with people who are all different ages. Or maybe some sort of artsy classes, knitting or something. Or maybe there is a living history sort of place where you live that y'all could be involved in. 

Yes, definitely would consider it. 

Can she shadow there?  They should allow that and she could get a feel for what the school and kids are like. 

Our homeschool co-ops are great here and good opportunities for making friends.  Some run year round, others are 3-4 months, but all day once a week. 

Thank you everyone.  I really appreciate all the opinions and suggestions.  I'm going to look into several options over the next few weeks and hopefully something will work out for her.

(I deleted part of my original post because I thought I may have shared too much information)

Yes, I would consider it.  I'm wary of more than 2 days a week outside the house, but I'm not categorically opposed to it.

My 11 year old is currently in a 2 day a week (kids can go 1, 2 or 3 days a week) all day enrichment program for homeschoolers (Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30-3:00) taking electives:Lego robotics, Teens in Teaching (they're trained by a teacher to help with kinders,)  Introduction to Computer Programming, Logic Builders, Caravans (group projects integrating geography, cultures and math,) and Origami Art.  Her classes are for grades 6-8. It's basically Middle School electives. It's all year long and each semester they get to chose new classes.

I just do Language Arts, Math, History and Science. It's been nice. 

The really hard thing about finding opportunities outside the home is that they don't necessarily run long term and weekly.  Most homeschooler activities around here are on a monthly basis.  That's fine for your introvert kids, kids with close siblings, kids with neighborhood kids, and others who have other things outside the homeschooling community lined up, but for an extrovert, only child with no kids anywhere near her age in the neighborhood, having more options is helpful. No, my 11 year old doesn't want to play with the preschoolers and 5 yer olds down the street.  Neither will she be hanging around the high schoolers at this time.

• Like 1