Menu

More advanced phonics iPad game

kaitneel

I'm looking for a phonics iPad app that goes further then something like hooked on phonics. My daughter can read at a second or third grade level but she's sort of taught her self so she's sight reading anything beyond basic phonics. We did AAR level 1 so she has solid phonics, but not when it comes to vowel teams and other special sounds. I don't want to do AAR 2 because she's reading so well but I'd love her to have a fun way to learn some of those sounds. Thanks!

As I'm looking, teach your monster to read looks a little easy (it says it's for the first two years of learning to read and she is pretty solid there) but reading island could be promising. Level 2 covers some good things we haven't explicitly gone over but I'm still looking for something that will cover vowel teams

As I'm looking, teach your monster to read looks a little easy (it says it's for the first two years of learning to read and she is pretty solid there) but reading island could be promising. Level 2 covers some good things we haven't explicitly gone over but I'm still looking for something that will cover vowel teams

It's a bit confusing with the levels because it's British. It may be a little easy though. But does review phonics concepts and is fun. Reading Raven 2 is a similar level and would probably be easy too.

Teach your monster to read does cover vowel teams though. I'm teaches the other letter combos for vowel sounds and such. DD is on the final level which explicitly teaches alternate sounds and vowel teams. You could try it for free on the computer.

So I'm looking at teach your monster to read and you're right, it says it covers vowel teams in level 2 (fun with words). Are you doing level 3, Champion Reader?

We are doing champion which covers sounds like "oy" "aw" and multisyllable words. It's been great review for Dd even though she's covered some of the material in lessons already. You can choose where to start them which is nice.

Teach your monster to read. $5 for the app and free on the computer. My daughter is at a second grade level and loved this game. It starts with basic letter sound but goes up to 'ore complex phonics.

Thank you for recommending this! I set my 5 year old up on the website this morning and he's spent hours on it today! He asked me to bookmark it for him!