Menu

Ball park on a new roof?

TammyS

So, we need a new roof, and I'm completely in the dark about how much money it's likely to be.  Our house is roughly 50'x38' rancher.  Basically all one low-slope, simple roof with a small dormer/porch over the front door.

Can anyone ballpark the cost of this for me?  We live in the mid-Atlantic if that helps.

Our insurance approval was for $4500 on less than 1000sf of roofing in PA.  I don't specifically remember what we actually paid b/c dh did some materials purchasing, we rented our own dumpster, and we worked out a deal on additional projects with our contractor.  We only had shingles and underlayment, no decking replacement that I can recall.

My parents, in a suburb in a small mid-Atlantic state, just had theirs redone for about $6800 all in. Their house is small (about 850 sq ft, i don't know the dimensions), and they didn't need any insulation, but they did need quite a few plywood panels replaced. 

ETA: My dad was shocked at the low price. Apparently, their neighbor (same house model) had his done last summer and paid more--maybe $8-$9000? My parents did go with a different contractor than he did, but they also had their done in late November, and my dad thinks that helped too, since contractors will have less work in late fall/winter. My dad is a DIY/home repair expert (and perfectionist--he's just too old and tired to DIY some things now), and he was satisfied with the work his contractor did, so it definitely wasn't a "you get what you pay for" issue at all. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Get many quotes!! There was $5k between the lowest and highest quotes we got for our tiny old house. I swear, the top guy wanted shingles made of gold and diamond dust for a 1000sq ft house in a declining neighborhood. Crazy.

• Like 1

If you go with a "cool roof", you will pay more upfront but have savings on your monthly energy bills and they're supposed to last longer. It's around 10-15% savings depending on your climate. If you plan to stay in your current home long enough, eventually you should come out ahead by choosing a "cool roof".

We had our house and storage shed re-roofed last summer. The total cost was somewhere between $10,000 and $11,000 (I forget the exact amount). But our roof is fairly large and steep,and as I said it also included a new roof for our shed and also cutting a ridge vent in each of them. We got three estimates and ended up going with the highest one because from our research it appeared they were using better shingles and underlayment. There wasn't much more than $1,000 difference in the three estimates.

Is this pretty accurate?  

Homewyse has been pretty median ballpark on the six different jobs we've had done in the last six months.  It's been an expensive home year for us.

Homewyse has not been great on tweaking the little decisions within a job---pricing ridge cap vents, replacing seals around roof vents, etc.  There are also price difference between Owens Corning, CertainTeed, Timberline, etc.--even within the middle class of shingles (dimensional, not 3-tab).  It was certainly close, though.

I probably live in an area where a lot of data has been generated though--not sure if that would work in a rural area.