Menu

Government for highschool..questions....

I am just starting to look at government for my son for his senior year next fall. I have looked at the traditional texts and while these look okay,I was wondering if anyone has used something besides a traditional textbook. I am thinking that I would like to put together my own but would like input on books others have used to get me started in the right direction.

thanks.

Gloria

Gloria,

We are using Government 101 - A Beginner's Guide to the Federal Government by Laura Petrisin. It is not a textbook but rather a short "bare bones" course consisting of two small booklets. It is not as detailed as or deep as some of the other government curriculums but you can definitely expand and go deeper with it.

When we finish this course (it is not long - approximately 6 weeks), we plan to watch the Standard Deviants Government DVD's (We the People and Government Part Two) which will fill in the more specific information.

Hope this helps!

Judy

Gloria,

We are using Government 101 - A Beginner's Guide to the Federal Government by Laura Petrisin. It is not a textbook but rather a short "bare bones" course consisting of two small booklets. It is not as detailed as or deep as some of the other government curriculums but you can definitely expand and go deeper with it.

When we finish this course (it is not long - approximately 6 weeks), we plan to watch the Standard Deviants Government DVD's (We the People and Government Part Two) which will fill in the more specific information.

Hope this helps!

Judy

Oh, thanks. I think we will use the Standard Deviants programs too! I had not thought of that, I am glad you mentioned it.

Even before high school, my son became a political activist. He's learned lots about governments by doing this. Early in high school, he read some of the Uncle Eric books. This year, he's reading the government recommendations in TWTM, at least some of them. They (so far) have turned out to be just exactly the right level, interesting, and informative. They are tieing together all the bits about government that he has learned peace-walking.

-Nan