Menu

Feedback on 1st Grade plans please?

Buckley Rule

First I want to say a big thank you to everyone I have mooched information from over the last several years :) I am coming out of lurker status with this post.

I am homeschooling our 2 youngest kiddos, both boys. The 5 (almost 6) year old has finished every scrap of curriculum from Kindergarten except AAS 1 which we are about 1/2 way through with. I started it 6 months behind behind AAR 1. Our end of K just snuck up on me and I have been scrambling and reading here and everywhere to cement my choices for 1st. I have been down the rabbit hole more than a few times trying to decide and I am just doubting myself I guess.

AAR 2

AAS Spelling finish 1 then on to 2

Shurley English

Singapore Math 1 Standards

Life of Fred

Story of the World

Magic School Bus and various topic studies for science

Evan-Moor Geography

Song School Latin

I already know this looks lofty, but we school year around really and do not get in a hurry at all. I feel bad about the science choice, but both him and his little brother love the videos. I am up for suggestions on the science for sure. Life of Fred is mainly for fun since he is such a big reader. Our oldest used Shurley grammar and absolutely loved it so I thought we would give it a whirl. I'm not sure what you would call my hodgepodge of choices, but if anyone sees any glaring holes or has any suggestions on block scheduling I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Edited by Buckley Rule

Looks good! Suggestions below are not criticisms :) I figured you want ideas to bounced off of.

3 language arts programs for a first grader seems like too much.  Maybe do 1 each week, rotating, rather than all 3 frequently?

I would get the Story of the World activity book to go with the text.  I liked the Q&A for each chapter- it helped reinforce the important concepts well. And the supplmental book recommendations too. 

We only did a few of the maps and crafts, but I used their ideas to do other stuff.  History was fairly central for us because it is stories - fun - a break from the drudge of school.

I'd get the free Mystery Science subscritption in addition, for sure.  My Magic School Bus lover adores Mystery Science.

Why no math except LoF for fun?  Daily practice is really useful in making math a normal part of life.   I'd add Math Mammoth, it's inexpensive, daily, solid, not onerous. 

Edited by poppy
  • Like 1

The only thing I see missing is handwriting.

This thread is all about 1st grade plans.  It might give you some ideas.

As for block scheduling, we do a BIG block and a little one.  Our big block is a semester long; we focus on history one semester and science the other.  Our little block is 2 days; we work on a four day week, so two, two day blocks.  Every day we do reading, handwriting, Spanish, math and listen to our read aloud.  Half the days we do spelling, grammar and science (or history, depending on the semester).  The other half we do writing (WWE), geography and either art or an extra long project/experiment/activity that goes along with our science or history.

Wendy

• Like 1

Looks good! Suggestions below are not criticisms :) I figured you want ideas to bounced off of.

Why no math except LoF for fun? Daily practice is really useful in making math a normal part of life. I'd add Math Mammoth, it's inexpensive, daily, solid, not onerous.

Singapore Essentials is listed for math. I agree about the 3 language arts programs.

• Like 1

Singapore Essentials is listed for math. I agree about the 3 language arts programs.

Ooh, you're right, missed that!

The other thought i had was maybe add art.  Art Tango has free weekly lessons for all grades that are pretty good.

• Like 2

3 language arts programs for a first grader seems like too much. Maybe do 1 each week, rotating, rather than all 3 frequently?

I would get the Story of the World activity book to go with the text. I liked the Q&A for each chapter- it helped reinforce the important concepts well. And the supplmental book recommendations too.

We only did a few of the maps and crafts, but I used their ideas to do other stuff. History was fairly central for us because it is stories - fun - a break from the drudge of school.

I'd get the free Mystery Science subscritption in addition, for sure. My Magic School Bus lover adores Mystery Science.

Why no math except LoF for fun? Daily practice is really useful in making math a normal part of life. I'd add Math Mammoth, it's inexpensive, daily, solid, not onerous.

Definitely not taken as criticism, I do appreciate the suggestions! :)

I did not think of it as being 3 LA programs. I was thinking reading, spelling, and grammar but I see what you are saying. We literally had to stretch AAR 1 out to make it last 5 months. AAR 2 might last longer but he is a fluent chapter book reader so I'm not sure.

I ordered the SOTW activity book and test book. We will use the test book only as prompts for discussion topics and working aloud most likely. Glad to know the activity book has some fun things to do.

I didn't know about the Mystery Science, thank you! I will look that up and see what I can find. Free is my favorite price. I am also looking at Mr. Q's. I feel like science might be my slacker subject this year unless I get the vibe the boys want more.

I did have in the list above that we are doing Singapore Math 1 standards ed. this year, but in my ramblings, it likely got buried. We are adding LOF just for fun. We finished Singapore Essentials several months ago and have been getting by with Kumon books on time telling, money, addition and subtraction. It was when those ran out that I began to panic. I am mentally not ready for him to be in 1st Grade yet :)

Thank you for your help and especially the science.

The only thing I see missing is handwriting.

This thread is all about 1st grade plans. It might give you some ideas.

As for block scheduling, we do a BIG block and a little one. Our big block is a semester long; we focus on history one semester and science the other. Our little block is 2 days; we work on a four day week, so two, two day blocks. Every day we do reading, handwriting, Spanish, math and listen to our read aloud. Half the days we do spelling, grammar and science (or history, depending on the semester). The other half we do writing (WWE), geography and either art or an extra long project/experiment/activity that goes along with our science or history.

Wendy

Thank you for taking the time to read my jumbled middle of the night post! I did forget to add in that we own Pentime. Now when I say we own it, that doesn't mean we've been diligent about it. He's fiddled in it some but the second I saw it cause frustration, I put it in his "fun pile" that he can pull out and work on his own without my input. What I have done instead is just incorporate his penmanship in with his math and daily dictation work for spelling. He writes a ton of stories on his own with the big lined paper and the penmanship is not bad but since he melts down at the thought of doing anything less than perfect I stepped back and pulled out the crayons and coloring books :)

I'll check the link out about 1st Grade plans for sure.

Your block schedule is awesome! I had to write it down to "see" it, but that really looks doable. I didn't think of doing a big and a little block. We do school 4-7 days per week depending on his baseball and swim schedule so this will be a good framework for me to tweak.

Thank you for your suggestions :)

Im getting the feeling I need to really look at the LA arts on my list :)

Do you think it will just be repetitious without benefit?

Ooh, you're right, missed that!

The other thought i had was maybe add art.  Art Tango has free weekly lessons for all grades that are pretty good.

We have Draw Right Now that we use for fun but neither of the boys have really liked it. The Art Tango looks like it might work better for them and adding to our schedule instead of just fitting it in might see that it gets done. Thank you!

Looks good to me! I second the mystery science subscription. My kiddos all love it. And it is really simple to implement.

Thank you. That is 2 votes so now I'm off to go look at Mystery Science for sure.

Without benefit, I don't know.   But  AAR and AAS are quite intense, really. I've used them with my dyslexic daughter who needs very explicit, repetitious instruction. I don't know if you need grammar in 1st grade, especially if you are doing Latin as well.   It just seems like a lot of seat work for a six year old which risks burn out.

• Like 1

Without benefit, I don't know. But AAR and AAS are quite intense, really. I've used them with my dyslexic daughter who needs very explicit, repetitious instruction. I don't know if you need grammar in 1st grade, especially if you are doing Latin as well. It just seems like a lot of seat work for a six year old which risks burn out.

I see what you mean. I guess I miss the jingles from our daughter's Shurley days :)

Honestly, AAR and AAS aren't challenging him at all, yet. They might as we move up levels though and I kind of hope so. He's happy to do it, but I can see he's bored. I want him to do them maybe because I really like how the rules are so well explained. I do feel he might be a quick learner academically. I'm praying for his social skills to catch up though :) as he really wants to try to go to school with other kiddos. We have a few friends that homeschool, but most of his baseball and swim buddies are in regular school and he thinks that is the coolest thing, sigh.

I see what you mean. I guess I miss the jingles from our daughter's Shurley days :)

Honestly, AAR and AAS aren't challenging him at all, yet. They might as we move up levels though and I kind of hope so. He's happy to do it, but I can see he's bored. I want him to do them maybe because I really like how the rules are so well explained. I do feel he might be a quick learner academically. I'm praying for his social skills to catch up though :) as he really wants to try to go to school with other kiddos. We have a few friends that homeschool, but most of his baseball and swim buddies are in regular school and he thinks that is the coolest thing, sigh.

Right, I guess what I was trying to convey is that they might be a little tedious for a quick learner.  Which doesn't' mean skip 'em.  They're really good.  Just don't  pile them on :)

Social life is the hardest part at this age.  Both homeschool and public school kids.  Unless you happen to live in one of those great cul de sacs or have lots of cousins. 

• Like 1

Maybe a spell-to-read would better. That's assuming you haven't already purchased the next levels of aar and aas. Something like reading lessons through literature would probably be sufficient for a kid like him. That would streamline things for you, save money, and allow him to choose his own books. It's handwriting too.

Honestly, AAR and AAS aren't challenging him at all, yet. They might as we move up levels though and I kind of hope so. He's happy to do it, but I can see he's bored. I want him to do them maybe because I really like how the rules are so well explained. I do feel he might be a quick learner academically.

He may not need AAR, or he may be able to bump up to a higher level (maybe he's ready for Level 3?) I would check the placement tests to see how he does. You don't have to do all of the AAR levels since he's already reading, so do be sure to place him in a level that meets his needs.

For AAS, I would pick up the pace and move through faster. If he obviously knows the concept, can teach it back to you with the letter tiles, and doesn't struggle to spell the words, don't feel like you have to do every word and dictation. Choose a selection if you want to check that he knows those words and move on. Fast track until you get to harder words and concepts. In AAS, you don't want to skip levels, but you can move through more quickly for a quick learner. Here's an article that has examples of how to fast track with level 1, and you can use the same strategies in level 2 if those words are also easy.