Menu

Social Justice Summer opportunities?

Any recommendations for a Social Justice Summer Camp or opportunity?  SDD's passion has been bubbling for a long time.  Now it has reached boiling.

She needs to be around like-minded people and I thought a summer opportunity might be good.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

Any recommendations for a Social Justice Summer Camp or opportunity? SDD's passion has been bubbling for a long time. Now it has reached boiling.

She needs to be around like-minded people and I thought a summer opportunity might be good.

Is there a local organization that would take her as a summer volunteer?

I've seen a number of groups associated with the Lutheran youth conference ds attended last year. There were groups ranging from refugee resettlement to therapy dogs. One came across my feed today about a quilt ministry for people displaced by disaster or war.

WAR International is a multifaceted outreach to victims of sex trafficking.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

Depending on your location, I'm sure there are plenty of churches and/or synagogues, mosques, and other charity organizations- of mixed political and economic persuasions; conservative, liberal, or progressive-which would be very happy to take her as a volunteer.

I may be assuming here, but my opinion is that the above approach - as opposed to a "camp" that may be more partisan, with an underbelly of "us" v/s "them", and where she may only interact with those of a like-mind (as in an echo-chamber), could lead to vilifying those who are of a different political persuasion or those who have different ideas about how to achieve similar ends.

Working with a variety of organizations would give her wider opportunities that are specific to her local community and region, serve a variety of needs that your community may uniquely have, plus, she'll work with a wider variety of people with whom she may disagree on some things, but with whom she can meet at areas of agreement as they work together on particular goals: improving the community/city/state and serving others who need the extra assistance. These can translate to national issues, too. Again, not partisan-based, but people-based.

It's good that she is finding a voice of her own to speak up about, and act upon, those areas about which she cares, but I think equally important lessons - especially in our "charged" atmosphere and which will last a lifetime - are learning how to listen to those who aren't like-minded, to not use charged language, individually or as part of a crowd, and to see people as people and not from a partisan perspective. 

To clarify, so there are (hopefully) no misunderstandings: I'm not saying she doesn't "listen to those who aren't like-minded"; see "people as people and not from a partisan perspective"; or that she does use "charged language, individually or as part of a crowd." My opinions and concerns I wanted to give voice to are the benefits of serving locally, instead of going to a distinctively termed "social" justice camp (instead of "equal" justice).

I know this technically wasn't a part of your original question, but I think needs to be mentioned as often as we can that to make positive changes, we must work with people with whom we disagree with; those with whom we are "like-minded" on some things, but not others, and be able to disagree, yet in an agreeable fashion. Those lessons are difficult to find in our current atmosphere, so we must "ratchet the rhetoric down" and link arms with others who want to do the same, no matter their political persuasion. I'm not convinced that "social justice" camps do that. Just my 2 cents.

With respect,

Rachel

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this would fulfill her passion, but my dd has been asked recently to help read/converse in English with recent refugees who want to practice English.  She has no background at all in doing this.  They just need someone who has good English and compassion.  She's super excited!

• Like 5

I'm not sure if this would fulfill her passion, but my dd has been asked recently to help read/converse in English with recent refugees who want to practice English.  She has no background at all in doing this.  They just need someone who has good English and compassion.  She's super excited!

That's excellent! Teaching practical skills that people need to function, assimilate, and reach their potential in our society.

• Like 2

Continuing on the theme of local engagement, I'll mention some things I've seen in our communities.

Computer literacy classes, especially for seniors or others who are not digital natives.  

-I spent much of my last visit with my parents helping them backup computers, download browsers, fix settings problems within Facebook, and learn to use the DVR.  They aren't dumb or unfamiliar with using a computer, but technology is changing faster than their level of use so they fall behind in their familiarity with systems.  Given how much information and directions are online, this can present a real obstacle to access to programs.  Think about things like using the online appointment system to make an appointment for the DMV or at the Social Security office.  Online portals to access health information like all of your prescriptions or test results.

English language tutors and conversation partners.  

-Some of these programs need qualified ESL tutors, but many also need people who are patient and willing to have formulaic role playing conversations with lots of students.  I've seen these programs run through public libraries and county continuing education or recreation centers.

Food Bank

-One of my kids did his Eagle Scout project with a food bank.  It was eye opening.  Not only how much work went into the weekly food offerings, but also how great the need was.  There was a need for reliable labor to sort the donations and then make up the weekly bags.  One thing that this site did as policy was to try to keep each bag pretty equal in contents or value.  That meant, for example, that they wouldn't include a bottle of oil unless they had enough for each of the 150 bags they made that week.  So when a group like a church or a scout contacted them about a food drive, they liked to give them a list of priority items to collect.  

I have worked with a number of Eagle Scouts over the years.  One thing I suggest is that they think of the organizations they have been in contact with and ask them what they need done.  

• Like 1