Menu

Anyone want to pick my kids' next unit study?

My 4th and 6th graders are doing unit studies this year. We are coming to the end of Medieval Europe and I need a new unit study. They're in the middle of studying elements using Fizz, Bubble, and Flash and Eyewitness Chemistry.

Parameters I'm looking at:

I'd prefer to ignore American history as we will be doing that next school year. 

I need a unit to fill 3-5 weeks (after that, they'll be doing BYL's Harry Potter 4 unit)

They've done several lapbooks this year, and I think I want something different for the next few weeks.

I like to roll in literature (a reader for each of them and a read aloud) so suggestions for tie-in literature would be helpful as well.

You could always do a Black History Month study...(though we are halfway through the month)? Lots of great literature, throw in a few reports on famous figures.

Ditto. We are doing this as a break from ancient history. Doing it in March would mean you have the resources back at the library, though. For literature, search Harlem Reneissance.

Edited by Elizabeth 2
  • Like 1

What about a living skills unit? Like planning a garden, or meal/nutrition planning? Read The Secret Garden if you haven't already.

Research what plants grow the best in your area and techniques that work best in your area. (English style vs French, square ft vs row, etc) Incorporates weather/climate and botany studies, history of gardening/tools. History of a famous garden.

Create a shopping list for materials. Math

Create a calendar for starting inside, transplanting, and harvest. Organization/math

Find recipies for their produce. Writing/journaling

Obviously this is pretty intense, but my 10 year old does a part of this each year. He's doing my calendar this year.

• Like 2

It's not a true unity study, but my 6th grader and I are currently doing a little side study about the history of chocolate, at his request. I'm reading aloud  CHOCOLATE: THE SWEET SCIENCE AND DARK SECRETS OF THE WORLD'S FAVORITE TREAT by Kay Frydenborg and he's reading alone CANDY BOMBER: THE STORY OF THE BERLIN AIRLIFT'S "CHOCOLATE PILOT" by Michael O. Tunnell

The beginning of the first book is tying nicely into our world history survey because we've just reached the discovery of the Americas, which includes the discovery of cocoa beans. The second book ties into Squirrelboy's interest in WWII and Germany.

There were quite a few other books about chocolate in our library, and I could easily see building a true unit study around the topic and learning some history, science, and economics in the process. You could get ahold of some cocoa beans and try to make your own chocolate. You could visit a chocolate factory (though it wouldn't be nearly as cool, or dangerous, and Willie Wonka's, I'm sure). The possibilities are many.

• Like 3

How about a Geography-based unit on China or India or other nation?

- read non-fiction books on the history/culture of the nation 

- read go-along historical/cultural fiction books from the library

- read some myths/folktales for flavor of the culture

- make some hands-on items from the culture, art, or history of that country

- play a game commonly played by the children

- make a meal of foods commonly eaten by the people 

- listen to traditional folk music online

- watch a movie set in that country

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

It's not a true unity study, but my 6th grader and I are currently doing a little side study about the history of chocolate, at his request. I'm reading aloud CHOCOLATE: THE SWEET SCIENCE AND DARK SECRETS OF THE WORLD'S FAVORITE TREAT by Kay Frydenborg and he's reading alone CANDY BOMBER: THE STORY OF THE BERLIN AIRLIFT'S "CHOCOLATE PILOT" by Michael O. Tunnell

The beginning of the first book is tying nicely into our world history survey because we've just reached the discovery of the Americas, which includes the discovery of cocoa beans. The second book ties into Squirrelboy's interest in WWII and Germany.

There were quite a few other books about chocolate in our library, and I could easily see building a true unit study around the topic and learning some history, science, and economics in the process. You could get ahold of some cocoa beans and try to make your own chocolate. You could visit a chocolate factory (though it wouldn't be nearly as cool, or dangerous, and Willie Wonka's, I'm sure). The possibilities are many.

Great idea! I forgot I did this when I was in first grade very nearly as you explained it. We visited an old fashioned chocolatier in Seattle for my very first field trip ever. Still memorable many years later. So there's a bump for this topic for the OP!

• Like 1