Menu

So how do you go about getting a cat from a rescue when you are 18yo?

AngieW in Texas

My 18yo is trying to adopt a cat, but has found that the shelters where she lives (on Long Island) have a minimum age requirement of 21yo or 25yo, depending on the shelter.

She really wants an adult cat, not a kitten.

Any ideas? Transportation is limited because she has to Uber to go anywhere, so visiting with 5 different families to meet the individual cats they have would start to get pretty expensive.

Craigslist, probably.

Here you would look for the "$5 adult cat to good home" ads.

Or post an ad on craigslist that you want to adopt an adult cat but the shelter won't let you because you are 18. You could pretty much guarantee a cat by the end of the day.

Third option - takes longer - call a local vet and ask if they have any adult cats needing to be rehomed.

• Like 4

But actually - she's on Long Island? We have a stray in our neighborhood, very friendly, already fixed, that would be great for a one-cat household. She was abandoned. I'm on Staten Island. If the other options don't pan out, PM me, I'll check with the local stray-feeder lady and ask if she can trap Fiona for your daughter, just so long as she can show up pretty soon.

• Like 9

Wow! I thought renting a car and purchasing alcohol were the only things 18 year old adults couldn't do that other adults can do. Do the shelters realize that there are countless responsible PARENTS under age 21??? Gee whiz! I hope the Staten Island cat is a great match. Craigslist would be my 2nd option.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 4

Wow! I thought renting a car and purchasing alcohol were the only things 18 year old adults couldn't do that other adults can do. Do the shelters realize that there are countless responsible PARENTS under age 21??? Gee whiz! I hope the Staten Island cat is a great match. Craigslist would be my 2nd option.

Most hotels also won't rent to under 21s.

• Like 1

I had to show a copy of a lease with my name on it along with written permission from my landlord when I adopted cats before 21 many, many moons ago. I lived in a college town, and the Humane Society had problems with flaky students. I can understand the age limits. I hope she finds a furry friend!

• Like 1

Yeah, the only potential issue with the cat, other than transport, is that she's been outside for a few years and I'm not 100% certain if she remembers about the litterbox. But "get Fiona a home" has been a back-of-the-mind goal since I first saw her, right up there with "seriously, tame the feral cat on our porch". (And I'm making remarkable progress with our little feral!)

• Like 1

Go elsewhere for a cat - it's not like they're rare, people are giving the dang things away.  Another possibility is taking in a neighborhood stray (all neighborhoods have at least one).  Alternatively, just get someone else to adopt it and hand it over to DD without mentioning it to the rescue. 

My 18yo is trying to adopt a cat, but has found that the shelters where she lives (on Long Island) have a minimum age requirement of 21yo or 25yo, depending on the shelter.

She really wants an adult cat, not a kitten.

Any ideas? Transportation is limited because she has to Uber to go anywhere, so visiting with 5 different families to meet the individual cats they have would start to get pretty expensive.

Edited by reefgazer

Back when I was in college my roommate and I just looked in the paper: free kittens. We called, visited the family (cute kids, clean house, adorable kittens), and took two home. The family did seem to be "vetting" us. Do people still put ads in the local paper?  Or maybe Craigslist is today's version?