Menu

Genealogy experts - what software?

TrixieB

Most people are working with online tools these days. I love ancestry.com but it is a subscription service; I'm not sure though if you need a subscription just to make a tree. Familysearch.org is free, put out by the LDS church which has lots of genealogy resources. Wikitree is a wiki style online tree maker, living generations are kept private but older information is shared in an attempt to connect as many family trees as possible.

I know there are many other options, hopefully others will chime in.

• Like 1

Most people are working with online tools these days. I love ancestry.com but it is a subscription service; I'm not sure though if you need a subscription just to make a tree. Familysearch.org is free, put out by the LDS church which has lots of genealogy resources. Wikitree is a wiki style online tree maker, living generations are kept private but older information is shared in an attempt to connect as many family trees as possible.

I know there are many other options, hopefully others will chime in.

ancestry has a tool where you can upload information into family search.  makes it convenient.

I predominantly use ancestry - just because of the availability of records.   (always remembering, there are records out they they dont' have.)

I also have  familytree. 

when I still had one on my computer - I used legacy.

I do like having it online.   you can bet family search has back-ups of their back-ups.  genealogy info is extremely precious to LDS, and it is safeguarded.

• Like 1