Menu

Story of science

Have you used this? Can you share your thoughts?

How long does it take to work through a book? Did you use the teachers quest guide and student workbook? Do you recommend them?

Lastly, is this OE/YE/neutral?

Eta: Asking about Hakim's books.

Edited by athomeontheprairie

We're nearly finished with the first book. We read it aloud and discuss, but don't use the teacher or student books. There are 30 chapters in the first book and we read one or two per week. Takes about half an hour. It is definitely not YE, but probably not exactly neutral; so I guess that makes it OE? We're secular homeschoolers and it works well for us. My DD12 is reading ancient history this year and this volume goes along nicely. Very good narrative flow and illustrations nicely compliment the text. We read the text first from beginning to end, then go back to read captions and study illustrations.

We're nearly finished with the first book. We read it aloud and discuss, but don't use the teacher or student books. There are 30 chapters in the first book and we read one or two per week. Takes about half an hour. It is definitely not YE, but probably not exactly neutral; so I guess that makes it OE? We're secular homeschoolers and it works well for us. My DD12 is reading ancient history this year and this volume goes along nicely. Very good narrative flow and illustrations nicely compliment the text. We read the text first from beginning to end, then go back to read captions and study illustrations.

Thanks. That helps!

Are you using this alongside history? Or as a science text? Do you use something else for science? Could this text be a complete science program?

Thanks. That helps!

Are you using this alongside history? Or as a science text? Do you use something else for science? Could this text be a complete science program?

We are using it as history. My DD is doing DO's physical science this year as her science course. There have been a few overlaps (such as discussion of Archimedes' screw, for example), but they're not aligned. I have heard others say that use of the quest guides can make it a full science, but not having really looked at them, I can't speak to that.

We have loved using Story of Science. We use it alongside K12 Human Odyssey (also a 3-book series), and they dovetail nicely. So for us it's a history supplement to go along with our world history. We use a separate science curriculum.

My kids have gone through 1 book per year. For the first book that means a chapter per week, but you need to do 1-2 chapters per week to get through the second and third books within a year. My kids have read and outlined the chapters, and then we discuss them. 

The books are secular science books and are published by a mainstream publisher, so they wouldn't fit in the creationist paradigm of OE vs YE. I would say that the books are completely secular and assume that we all share the view that the earth is very, very old, but evolution isn't really discussed or taught overtly since the books focus more on the history of physical science versus biology. 

• Like 1

We're 3/4 through the first book and I really like it.  Yes, we use the teacher's guide and workbook pages selectively.  Yes, we use it alongside history-right now we're dong our second rotation through history chronologically, but we're on a compressed 3 year cycle. It's Ancients-Medieval for history (We're using the Updated Famous Men of Greece, Rome Middle Ages series with the Greenleaf Study Guides and The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way. I divided the book into 36 weeks of study, so we'll be through it in 1 year. I selected the most important readings from the Famous Men of ________ series. For details on how history and science line up in our long term history plan, there's a current discussion here:http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/637567-what-is-your-long-term-history-plan/

The teacher's guide and workbooks were developed by Johns Hopkins University. No, they are not YE creationist, but as a conservative, evangelical Christian (who is OE) I do find them fair and reasonable about religion.  I don't expect people who aren't Christians to defer to Christianity as being true compared to other religions-that would be unreasonable. The teacher's guide also encourages teachers to allow for religious conviction in discussions. I think that's perfectly fair.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ