Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW7: Happy Valentine's Week

Robin M

I'm reading this right now, in the original German.  I was honestly a bit intimidated about starting this, as I was thinking a nonfiction book in German might be a bit of a slog (German tends to get super-technical and jargony when writing in specialty subjects like science or law), but I'm finding it an easy read.  It is written in quite a conversational style. 

This is good to know. I will get the German edition then. 

I am feeling much better today. Not quite back to normal but much better. I'm already itching to grab my sneakers but I am going to force myself another day or two. I did allow myself to do some very gentle yoga this morning. Any yoga that involves a pillow is my kind of yoga. ;) 

As for reading, I did actually manage to do so. I admit I watched way more on TV than read books. (By the way, I love French movies) My head was just too painful to read much. I did read my Blind Date book, Stones on a Grave, which turned out to be a YA book about a girl who finds out about her past. It was a very oversimplified book, but it was not written for adults. The author wrote for young teens who are just learning about WWII and the Holocaust. The book mentions The Diary of Anne Frank so maybe that will inspire some to read it as well. 

• Like 15

I needed something that didn't take as much brain power as The Train to Crystal City so I read A Yorkshire Christmas by Kate Hewitt.  That's the Y in amethyst and my 18th book of the year.  It was actually two novellas combined into one full-length book.  They were predictable and happily every after.  The weird things was the second book was pretty much the same as the first one with different names for the characters, different settings, and some details changed, but mostly the same.  It was a decent enough mind vacation.

• Like 13

A one day only currently free classic ~

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

"Dostoevsky’s classic pitting one man against society

Widely considered to be the first existential novella, Notes from Underground presents the diary of a bitter, misanthropic man. The unnamed narrator has, in an act of supreme defiance, withdrawn from society completely. Formerly a civil servant, this “sick†and “wicked†man suffers from incurable ennui and forsakes all interaction. Rallying against what he perceives as human evils, like war, love, and utopianism, he exiles himself from all humanity in favor of exalted loneliness and suffering. Readers bear witness to the friends, lovers, and crippling social pressures of nineteenth-century Russia that made him this way.

Notes from Underground, which preceded masterworks including Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov, is among Dostoevsky’s finest works, melding fiction and philosophy."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I read Charlaine Harris's first book in her Midnight Texas series - Midnight Crossroad.   I don't know if anyone else has read it yet, but I really didn't like the resolution in the story, Taking justice into their own hands type of thing.   Didn't endear me to any of the characters.  Probably won't be reading any more of the series.  

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It’s a pretty standard dried-up western town.

There’s a pawnshop (someone lives in the basement and is seen only at night). There’s a diner (people who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there’s new resident Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he’s found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own).

Stop at the one traffic light in town, and everything looks normal. Stay awhile, and learn the truth...

• Like 12

Readers of historical mysteries might enjoy this trio that is currently free to Kindle readers ~

Servant of the Crown Mysteries, 3 Book Box Set by Denise Domning

"SEASON OF THE RAVEN
A Miller Found Under His Wheel

It’s 1194 and Sir Faucon de Ramis, the shire’s newly appointed Keeper of the Pleas, must do his duty and make an official declaration of the cause of a miller’s death. Saddled with a clerk who names Faucon his ‘penance', the shire’s first Crowner must thread the tangled relationships between the sheriff, the village of Priors Holston and the priory that once ruled it. As a simple task takes a turn to the political, what seems obvious isn’t and what appears safe turns out to be more dangerous than he could imagine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEASON OF THE FOX
Raise the Hue and Cry!

A wealthy merchant has been murdered in his own home, and the suspect has fled to sanctuary in a local church. Enter Sir Faucon de Ramis, the king’s new Servant of the Crown in the shire, to solve the murder, assisted by his prickly secretary, Brother Edmund.

As Faucon begins his hunt, the shire’s new Crowner finds himself in the upside-down world of a woman’s trade. Not only does the merchant’s wife own the business—unheard of!—the suspect is the daughter’s betrothed, or so the town believes. But what about the bloody shoe prints and missing tally sticks, and what does the sheriff have to gain?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOST INNOCENTS
Into The Woods

A leper’s daughter is found in the well of a dying hamlet and the only suspect has fled into Feckenham Forest. But the sun is setting and Warwickshire’s sheriff is hunting his shire's new Crowner. That sends Sir Faucon de Ramis and Brother Edmund, his prickly clerk, racing for a nearby abbey only to meet the man he least wishes to see at the abbey gates. Before long, Faucon finds himself riding into the dark at Sir Alain's side as they hunt for yet another lost innocent."

and here's another currently free book that is described as humorous crime noir ~  

Night of the Hunted: A Reed Ferguson Mystery by Renée Pawlish

"Reed Ferguson, noir's funniest hero, returns in another page-turning mystery!

When Reed Ferguson, Denver private investigator, receives a call from a mysterious woman seeking his help to escape her abusive husband, Reed can’t refuse, even though he’s supposed to meet his future in-laws in twenty-four hours. After all, like his hero, Humphrey Bogart, Reed is a sucker for a damsel in distress. But the woman disappears before Reed can whisk her to safety, and he feels compelled to find her. As Reed digs deeper into the woman’s identity, he discovers that her husband, a high-profile, politically ambitious attorney, has secrets of his own. Soon Reed is urgently piecing together clues that may lead to not only his missing client, but to dangerous situations he never expected. It’s a harrowing race against the hours to find the kidnappers before they harm Reed’s client or him."

and a romance ~  Sweet Solace (The Seattle Sound Series Book 1)  by Alexa Padgett

"She Knew Him When

When they first met, she was far too young—seventeen, and already in love with the man who would break her heart. Asher Smith was an up-and-coming songwriter, but he knew better than to show his fascination. He wrote a song for Dahlia. And then he moved on. His whiskey-rough voice made him a star, even as fame extracted its price.

He Never Forgot Her

When she sees Asher next, Dahlia Dorsey is the widowed mother of a teenager, a reclusive writer. She’s given up on happy endings—she can’t even script them for her characters. But a moonlit beach and the touch of an old friend turn loose her pain and her desires, whether she’s ready or not.

They’re Risking It All

Dahlia’s career is on the rocks. Asher’s family is falling apart. Neither can chase a passing attraction. But for two souls wounded worse than they can admit, the connection between them is a balm too precious to refuse—and a thrill too exhilarating to resist…

This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sensual content."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I read Charlaine Harris's first book in her Midnight Texas series - Midnight Crossroad. I don't know if anyone else has read it yet, but I really didn't like the resolution in the story, Taking justice into their own hands type of thing. Didn't endear me to any of the characters. Probably won't be reading any more of the series.

I read them all with a long break between the first and the second. I read the second mainly because I had it confused with a different series but liked it quite a bit. Read the third shortly after and did not like it. I wouldn't bother.....

I'm deep in reading my second Scandinavian police procedural of the week, Snow Angels. This one is actually written by an American who was married to a Finnish wife and lived there for many years. The author died a couple of years ago unfortunately. Enjoying it so far but the crime descriptions are pretty brutal. The cultural parts are interesting and pretty accurate I suspect. I particularly liked the discussion about the darkness at midwinter. We have about 6 hours of light here at that time of the year. People do consume more alcohol when it's darker, I watch it every year. The main character is a Finnish police chief who is recently married to an American woman and livng in a small town in the Artic Circle.

I read some Goodreads reviews and most were very positive. The negative one was actually more why I like the book....the couple seems at my 25% mark to be very real. The wife has been living in Finland for 18 months. She is finding the language difficult to learn and just learned she's pregnant. She is scared and a bit whiney. I know I would be! The negative review disliked the wife because she whined and hadn't bothered to become fluent in Finnish. As someone who has moved to a different country I can totally understand, and I speak the basic language. Medical terms are actually one of the harder things for me because things are called different things like mono is glandular fever. A funny one which is apparently very local is the chill sickness....best we can figure is it's an achy cold.

• Like 12

I just finished Roux the Day (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 7) by Peter King. It was another title I picked by the cover. The book is a murder mystery about people looking for a chef's book that belonged to a successful restaurant family. I thought the food descriptions were great but the story and characters were boring. The only character that came across as well thought out was the main one, so when it came time to name the culprit you were asking yourself who that person was again. I don't think I will be reading anymore from this series.

• Like 11

I just finished Roux the Day (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 7) by Peter King. It was another title I picked by the cover. The book is a murder mystery about people looking for a chef's book that belonged to a successful restaurant family. I thought the food descriptions were great but the story and characters were boring. The only character that came across as well thought out was the main one, so when it came time to name the culprit you were asking yourself who that person was again. I don't think I will be reading anymore from this series.

But what a great title! Roux the Day! (Chuckling on this end.)

• Like 10

Rose, I read your "I'd be embarrassed to be seen reading this on the subway" book suggestion, Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that Will Transform Your Sex Life.  I would place this book in the category of "Every woman should read this" because I did learn some things. Interesting things. This book is exactly what it says, she shares the science behind women's sexuality and explains it in very easy to understand terms. This book is not a book filled with technique or moves or finding that secret spot. In short, it is NOT a magazine cover story. In fact, when you read this book you will forever roll your eyes and snort at glossy magazines. I even read things aloud to my dh and caused him to raise an eyebrow and say, "Really?" 

So, read the book ladies. I bet you'll learn a thing or two even if it's only that glossy magazines have it wrong. You can do what I did and get the ebook version to avoid trying to hide the cover. Alternately, you can cover the front a self-made dust cover. ;) Normally, I don't care too much about hiding covers, but I do have 2 teen sons at home and I'm never a prude except when my children are around.  :leaving:

• Like 14

The Lady with the Dog: And Other Stories by Anton Chekov

"Nine deeply moving and exquisitely crafted tales from a master of the short story

After a fortnight in Yalta, Dmitri Dmitritch Gurov has grown tired of the seaside. He is looking for a more interesting way to pass his vacation when a woman with a Pomeranian catches his eye. Gurov loathes his wife, and has spent his marriage chasing women, even though the affairs always end in disappointment. But Anna Sergeyevna will be different. For the first time in his life, Gurov will know love—and he will find it a very harsh mistress.

Widely recognized as one of literature’s sharpest observers of human nature, Anton Chekhov has influenced generations of writers. Including such heartbreaking gems as “A Doctor’s Visit,†“The Head of the Family,†and “The Black Monk,†this sparkling collection showcases a brilliant craftsman at the top of his form."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Rose, I read your "I'd be embarrassed to be seen reading this on the subway" book suggestion, Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that Will Transform Your Sex Life.  I would place this book in the category of "Every woman should read this" because I did learn some things. Interesting things. This book is exactly what it says, she shares the science behind women's sexuality and explains it in very easy to understand terms. This book is not a book filled with technique or moves or finding that secret spot. In short, it is NOT a magazine cover story. In fact, when you read this book you will forever roll your eyes and snort at glossy magazines. I even read things aloud to my dh and caused him to raise an eyebrow and say, "Really?" 

So, read the book ladies. I bet you'll learn a thing or two even if it's only that glossy magazines have it wrong. You can do what I did and get the ebook version to avoid trying to hide the cover. Alternately, you can cover the front a self-made dust cover. ;) Normally, I don't care too much about hiding covers, but I do have 2 teen sons at home and I'm never a prude except when my children are around.  :leaving:

That's so funny, I saw on goodreads that you had finished this. I don't think I'll feel embarrassed to have it lying around the house as we are 3:1 girls here. But it might be a bit blush-worthy to pick up at the library. Which is why it qualifies for that Bingo square . . . 

• Like 12

Here are two articles that came through my inbox today. The first is on how slavery has shaped the narrative of African American novelists and the second in on the best contemporary fiction by Balkan authors.

thanks for sharing both of those. I added a bunch of books from the latter to my TR list for May's Eastern Europe readings. I'm starting to put things on hold for next months Scandinavian authors & Mystery theme - thinking ahead, but the dang library is taking so long to get anything in that I figure I better start now if I want them by March.

• Like 12

thanks for sharing both of those. I added a bunch of books from the latter to my TR list for May's Eastern Europe readings. I'm starting to put things on hold for next months Scandinavian authors & Mystery theme - thinking ahead, but the dang library is taking so long to get anything in that I figure I better start now if I want them by March.

I forgot next month's theme was Scandinavian mysteries. I just finished Snow Angels by James Thompson and liked it, although I knew who did it pretty early on.

I found a new Iceland mystery in my libraries new releases which is now in the stack. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29939301-snowblind I will try and hold off until March to read it! Dd's best friend is on a holiday in Iceland right now so we are all looking forward to hearing her adventures.

• Like 11

The Lady with the Dog: And Other Stories by Anton Chekov

"Nine deeply moving and exquisitely crafted tales from a master of the short story

After a fortnight in Yalta, Dmitri Dmitritch Gurov has grown tired of the seaside. He is looking for a more interesting way to pass his vacation when a woman with a Pomeranian catches his eye. Gurov loathes his wife, and has spent his marriage chasing women, even though the affairs always end in disappointment. But Anna Sergeyevna will be different. For the first time in his life, Gurov will know love—and he will find it a very harsh mistress.

Widely recognized as one of literature’s sharpest observers of human nature, Anton Chekhov has influenced generations of writers. Including such heartbreaking gems as “A Doctor’s Visit,†“The Head of the Family,†and “The Black Monk,†this sparkling collection showcases a brilliant craftsman at the top of his form."

Regards,

Kareni

I love Chekhov. I have a story he wrote with a lady who married several times. Each time she married she basically became a different person. She moulded herself to her husbands interests each time. It was quite disturbing somehow. He has such beautiful and amazing writing.

• Like 10

Is this the series with Capuchine? I read one of those and felt the same. The concept was good but it just never came to life.

• Like 9

I read a teen fiction called "amethyst child" for the birthstone challenge. It was surprisingly better than expected. The writing was quite good. It features an insecure teenage girl who gets drawn into a new age cult and basically ends up in a police drama when it all comes to a head. It is a little melodramatic I guess but It did quite a good job of outlining how people get drawn to cults (they offer a lot of good things, friendships, something different from the routine of life) and also that in some ways the crazy beliefs are no crazier than those of the majority religions. The only drawback for me is that there is a homeschooled kid in the cult who has no same age friends so it could be seen as portraying homeschooling in a negative light.

• Like 10

Is this the series with Capuchine? I read one of those and felt the same. The concept was good but it just never came to life.

That character wasn't in this book but from what I understand every book has completely different characters except for the main one. The sad part is that I can't even remember the main character's name anymore and when I grabbed the book to look all I could find was his nickname "The Gourmet Detective".

• Like 8

That character wasn't in this book but from what I understand every book has completely different characters except for the main one. The sad part is that I can't even remember the main character's name anymore and when I grabbed the book to look all I could find was his nickname "The Gourmet Detective".

It looks like the one I'm thinking of is not from the gourmet detective but the culinary mysteries series. Who would have thought there were two series of mystery and food writing novels... Nearly it's own genre.

• Like 10

It looks like the one I'm thinking of is not from the gourmet detective but the culinary mysteries series. Who would have thought there were two series of mystery and food writing novels... Nearly it's own genre.

There are a bunch of series of mystery and food!  A bit over a year ago I read three Chef Maurice books.

• Like 9