Menu

Math Ideas

mymommy1

DS11 is behind in math.  He's in sixth and has completed fourth grade math and maybe a bit of fifth.  He has basic understanding of the 4 operations, but not with fractions/decimals.  He needs to learn a bit of geometry and stats, too.  His dx is HFA, high verbal/spatial kid, very low processing speed and working memory.  I've finally discovered that though he hates it, he needs slow, implicit instruction, and lots of review. 

However, he can't get through 10 problems in one session (30-40 minutes).  The page needs to be uncrowded and not distracting.  Singapore worked when he was younger, not sure why I stopped.  MM worked through 4th, but I think there are too many problems and too many challenging things.  I'm looking for something to get him proficient at the basics.  He reads LOF and tolerates the math, but I doubt he can learn fractions from that book. 

Ideas?

Math U See has good, uncluttered pages and really helped my daughter to understand math better. She was also able to do basic operations but was drowning with learning more complicated division and fractions. MUS really helped with that. One downside is that you do have to kind of backtrack with it to master the foundational concepts to then move forward. But then that's necessary with anything when you're remediating I think. We tried Saxon, Singapore, and Math Mammoth before, all of which were a disaster.

• Like 1