Menu

Nashville, TN - celebrating dd's 18th b'day

sheryl

DD turns 18 in May.  She's been wanting to go to Nashville for a few years.  We're considering taking her this May as an 18th b'day celebration vacation!

Do you have any ideas? 

I know the Grand Ole Opry is a given.  I researched Nashville about 3 years ago but have no idea what I did with the notes so am starting fresh.

Events, attractions, hotels (less expensive to drive in to the city rather than stay d.t.), tours, etc.

Bring it on!

Please be specific to names, locations, etc.   Thanks!

Nashville is expensive for hotels-it's one of the most expensive hotel markets in the USA. I like the Drury by the airport because it's a reasonable drive to anywhere, and has a good breakfast and a reasonable dinner included, and an awesome pool.

Having said that, check for discounts at the Gaylord Opryland-sometimes they run deals for teachers and accept homeschooler documentation for that purpose. There have been times that it was actually cheaper to stay there than at the Drury. Do make sure to visit the Gaylord-it's beautiful inside, and there is often live music. Check their events, too-we have done some dinner concerts there that were great. The General Jackson riverboat is good, too. You can park at the mall and walk over to the mall and save parking. All of these are near the Opry, and you may be able to get a good deal on a bundle.

The Frist museum is great if you like art. Downtown has a lot of nice places that have live music at night. It's also good to walk through the college campuses. Vanderbilt and Belmont are downtown, and TN State, Meharry and Fisk are also neat to visit and have a lot of history-they're south of Downtown. The American Pickers have a store in the Marathon auto plant that is interesting if your DD watches the show.

Centennial Park has the Parthenon replica, but check days that it's open. Bicentennial park has nice exhibits, too. Both are well worth visiting.

• Like 3

Belle Meade Plantation is very good. If you want to do more local history, esp. Civil War era, there is a ton!

The Country Music Hall of Fame is very, well, Nashville. 

The Bluebird Cafe is great to hear singer/songwriters. 

Cheekwood Botanical Garden is lovely.

If you want to get away from the city and need more trees and grass, a hike at Edwin or Percy Warner park or at Radnor Lake will be just the thing. 

Downtown Franklin is cute and a nice half-day. 30 minutes south of downtown on 65. Landmark books is fun. 

Olive and Sinclair chocolate factory in east Nashville has tours for $5 on the hour on Saturdays.

If you are music lovers, the tour of the Schermerhorn symphony center is great and a concert is even better.

Check out Local Table listings for good non-chain restaurants.

Nashville Scene will have all the live music events for the week. The Station Inn is my favorite for bluegrass.

• Like 1