Menu

MP Classical Composition

socody

Anyone tried Memoria Press's Classical Composition series? I'm hurting my head trying to find a good writing program for my soon-to-be 4th grader. This is one that I haven't found a lot about. 

FWIW, I'm also tossing around the ideas of EIW or CAP Fable. My main requirements are LOW PREP for me, and inexpensive.

CC by Memoria press is a re-work of an older progymnasmata program by the same name.

IEW is not a progym program. CAP's series is. So is Writing Tales, Cottage Press (to a limited degree) and Classical Writing. WWS and co. are not, and there are some great posts floating around the internet from the old, old boards about the sundry benefits of one or the other. Back then it was basically CW v. WWS, but even if you're mentally comparing different programs, posts from those years are elucidating because basically no one is talking about this stuff in those terms (progym or other) any more.

So, my advice is to figure out what your big picture goals and ideas about writing are, because if you want the progym, you're going to have a hard time doing that while simultaneously trying to work through IEW.  Then you can go from there.

CC by Memoria press is a re-work of an older progymnasmata program by the same name.

IEW is not a progym program. CAP's series is. So is Writing Tales, Cottage Press (to a limited degree) and Classical Writing. WWS and co. are not, and there are some great posts floating around the internet from the old, old boards about the sundry benefits of one or the other. Back then it was basically CW v. WWS, but even if you're mentally comparing different programs, posts from those years are elucidating because basically no one is talking about this stuff in those terms (progym or other) any more.

So, my advice is to figure out what your big picture goals and ideas about writing are, because if you want the progym, you're going to have a hard time doing that while simultaneously trying to work through IEW.  Then you can go from there.

I have an idea what you're talking about, but can you give me a layman's terms summary of both types of programs? And is there anything that uses IEW's method that's not so expensive?

ETA: I just found a summary of the progym. method, but tell me how it's different from IEW, which I'm not as familiar with?

Edited by socody

threads:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/314227-cc-vs-cw-vs-wws/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/348864-my-evaluation-of-numerous-writing-curricula/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/273511-re-classical-writing-curricula-what-is-your-preference-and-why/

This one has SWB's comments from an earlier iteration of the board. Remember that back in those days "progym" was synonymous with CW and cc to a lesser extent, so it's the method info you're looking to glean, not the particulars of the programs.

Also, MP, the current publishers of the CC program, has their own forum. The people that work there regularly respond to questions about their programs.

As a side note, of course IEW stresses the similarities of their program to the progym. And that's not a slam....at a certain point writng is wrting and before you even got to THAT point, writing in any way the public schools are not approaching writing, is any way the public schools are not approaching writing. It is my personal opinion is that IEW is for certain kind of students with certain kinds of teachers. I REALLY don't think most kids *need* writing broken down like that, and I agree in general with SWB's opinion (see above) about what is abhorrent about it. That said, as long as it doesn't sour a kid on writing forever, NBD, and it i my firm opinion that homeschoolers ought to use the programs that they want to teach THE MOST wherever children's abilities and temperments allow.