Menu

If you trouble with antihistamines, which did you settle on?

Joules

I've gotten to the point where they all seem to cause mood disorders.  After a few days, I can't stand the agitation and anxiety and I quit.  But the asthma is out of control and I've got to stick with one for a few weeks.  Since I don't see any difference, could y'all share which one you or yours finally settled on?  

My 10-year-old gets serious anxiety on most antihistamines.  Zyrtec prompted a severe panic attack.  The only one that doesn't cause anxiety in him is Claritin.  It also works the least best for his allergies, but at least it does something without making him all anxious.

• Like 1

Benedryl. I have allergy-induced asthma and Claritan doesn't work, Zyrtec and Allegra make me crazy, Singulair REALLY makes me crazy.

I take one Benedryl when I feel stuffy.  It's 1/2 a dose but is enough to clear things up without making me super tired (I've also built up a tolerance to the sleepiness by this point).  I like that I only need to take it as needed and it will work within 30 minutes, instead of having to take it every day regardless of need like the others.

• Like 1

My dd has had to switch regularly. One just seems to last for a year before it doesn't work anymore. 

Unfortunately, this usually translates to the newest one the doctor can prescribe =$$$$$. 

I wish I could offer more hope. Allergy time is here in TX. 

Have you tried allergy shots?

• Like 1

My doctor just wrote me a prescription for a mild antihistamine she says is so gentle they use it for 6 month olds.

I never picked it up (because I never asked her for the drug, she decided I needed it). But I know one exists if you feel like asking a doctor about it.

• Like 1

Benedryl. I have allergy-induced asthma and Claritan doesn't work, Zyrtec and Allegra make me crazy, Singulair REALLY makes me crazy.

This is me.  It doesn't do any good to have me allergy free if they have to put me away.

I take one Benedryl when I feel stuffy.  It's 1/2 a dose but is enough to clear things up without making me super tired (I've also built up a tolerance to the sleepiness by this point).  I like that I only need to take it as needed and it will work within 30 minutes, instead of having to take it every day regardless of need like the others.

That's what I've been doing, but I need something round the clock now.  The doctor isn't fond of Benedryl except on occasion for emergency control.  He thinks it causes thickening of mucus and may be contributing to recurring pneumonia.

Thanks for sharing...so far I have one vote each for six different things.

I went into anaphylaxis from allergy shots, so I'm not eager to try that again.  I may go back for testing again, hoping that I've developed a new allergy to something I can avoid (please don't let it be the poodles!!)  I'm pretty good at eliminating foods at this point, so that would be a plus.

If it helps trigger some advice, right now I am on Dulera (though he gave me a sample of Symbicort to try next) and I'm using the albuterol nebulizer 3 times a day, plus the albuterol inhaler as needed.  I'm on a oral steroid burst, though they didn't give me a shot this time.  Chest X-ray is negative.  I've had a chronic cough since 2012, but it and the asthma are so much worse and not responding this time.

Benadryl is the one that works best for me.  I take a bigger dose at night and take less than a full dose during the day. It has a long half life so that works for me.  When it comes to a child though, I'd get the instructions on exactly what to do from a doctor, in writing, before altering doses.  There have been a few cases recently where someone is charged with child abuse relating to loo large doses of benadryl because it can be considered a chemical restraint.

• Like 1

I take zyrtec (quit taking singular because of mood problems), but found it impacts my mood less, and works better if I take it in a divided dose.  Because my allergies were giving me trouble I take 5mg twice a day with Zantac, for synergist effect, and to block both H1 and H2.  I have levocetirizine by prescription if the zyrtec isn't enough, but the divided doses seem to be holding.  I take Pulmicort, but do better with nebulizer treatments over inhalers. Right now, with the constant change in weather, I'm using Nasonex sinus spray to keep sinus drainage down, as well as saline spray. My sister uses Symbicort with great results, sometimes it's just using what works best for you.

How old is your poodle? 

We have poodles. I still follow the full list of precautions because of my allergies. I have a mild dog allergy that has remained unchanged with poodles in the house, but precautions are necessary because they do bring in more outside allergens.  

no dogs in bedrooms, with my door always shut

hepa filter in living area, with it and furnace filters changed more often than recommended

harwood, tile, and linoleum in the rooms where the dogs have access, damp mopped regularly

brush dogs often (not by me)

feed high quality food for healthy coat

when allergens are really high the dogs are wiped off when they come inside

dog bedding is washed regularly in hot water

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

Acrivastine. In the UK it's one of the ones sold by Benadryl. It's not one a day, you take it up to 3 times a day ( I usually take it twice a day). I get the least side effects from acrivastine. 

Just looked it up.  It is Semprex in the U.S.  I've never heard of it, but will ask the doc next time.

I take zyrtec (quit taking singular because of mood problems), but found it impacts my mood less, and works better if I take it in a divided dose.  Because my allergies were giving me trouble I take 5mg twice a day with Zantac, for synergist effect, and to block both H1 and H2.  I have levocetirizine by prescription if the zyrtec isn't enough, but the divided doses seem to be holding.  I take Pulmicort, but do better with nebulizer treatments over inhalers. Right now, with the constant change in weather, I'm using Nasonex sinus spray to keep sinus drainage down, as well as saline spray. My sister uses Symbicort with great results, sometimes it's just using what works best for you.

How old is your poodle? 

We have poodles. I still follow the full list of precautions because of my allergies. I have a mild dog allergy that has remained unchanged with poodles in the house, but precautions are necessary because they do bring in more outside allergens.  

no dogs in bedrooms, with my door always shut

hepa filter in living area, with it and furnace filters changed more often than recommended

harwood, tile, and linoleum in the rooms where the dogs have access, damp mopped regularly

brush dogs often (not by me)

feed high quality food for healthy coat

when allergens are really high the dogs are wiped off when they come inside

dog bedding is washed regularly in hot water

They are 10 and 14 yo standards.  We use most of the precautions, but now ds is off at college, I do much more of the pet care.  I do all of the allergy basics like bed covers, hepa filters, washing all bedding every week, washing my hair before bed, and wearing a mask when I clean or go outside.

I hadn't thought about the Zantac in a long time.  I remember that being recommended before.

I'm so glad I asked you guys, I'm hopeful that maybe I'll find something that will help.

Does anyone else worry about the potential connection between Benadryl and dementia that keeps hitting the news?  On all these meds, my brain barely works as it is.

Could you try a nasal steroid instead? Pycnogenol supplement (pricey....) helps my son's allergies and asthma related to those, though he does take zyrtec and singular as well. I mention it because there are some studies of pycnogenol reducing pediatric asthma. It might help. The downside is cost.

Edited by sbgrace

I'm so glad I asked you guys, I'm hopeful that maybe I'll find something that will help.

Does anyone else worry about the potential connection between Benadryl and dementia that keeps hitting the news? On all these meds, my brain barely works as it is.

I do worry. That's why I only use it at night and pair it with Qucertin for daytime use. Qucertin has several health and medicinal properties without the OTC antihistamine risks. https://www.google.com/amp/s/draxe.com/quercetin/amp/?client=ms-android-att-aio-us

Eta: I hope the Qucertin counteracts the negative affects of the Benadryl too, but there is no research for this. Just wishful thinking on my part. :)

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

FWIW, there are theories that histamine itself has a connection to the many processes that might impact various types of mental symptoms (as does the immune system).  I am under the impression that it's even more complicated than those putting forth such theories; I just know that they're out there.

Zyrtec worked great for me for a while--until it didn't, and caused insomnia and other problems. I do get concerned about the side effects, but I still go back to Benadryl for occasional night use. The thing that has been most helpful for me is using a Levalbuterol (a Xopenex generic) inhaler when needed. It doesn't cause me to have any side effects that I can tell, and I only use it when needed, which is more often some times and at night, and less often but occasionally during the day. It doesn't cause me jitters like Ventolin. I used to get bronchitis often, and got it four times one winter several years ago. After that, I started the inhaler. I think I have only had bronchitis once since then, and that was several years ago. Interestingly, I started using a cpap machine for sleep apnea a little over a year ago, and I have not even had a bad cold since then, though I do get stuffy sometimes (thus the Benadryl).

Does anyone else worry about the potential connection between Benadryl and dementia that keeps hitting the news?  On all these meds, my brain barely works as it is.

It wasn't just Benedryl, it was ALL the antihistamines.  Unfortunately I need to breathe now so will have to worry about the dementia later.

Dh is a pharmaceutical chemist and was able to get access to the full studies involved in those articles.  It was a little bit of hyperbole and a full causation was not established.

It wasn't just Benedryl, it was ALL the antihistamines.  Unfortunately I need to breathe now so will have to worry about the dementia later.

Dh is a pharmaceutical chemist and was able to get access to the full studies involved in those articles.  It was a little bit of hyperbole and a full causation was not established.

It's just the anticholinergic ones, not all anti-histamines. Benadryl is anticholinergic though.

They are 10 and 14 yo standards.  We use most of the precautions, but now ds is off at college, I do much more of the pet care.  I do all of the allergy basics like bed covers, hepa filters, washing all bedding every week, washing my hair before bed, and wearing a mask when I clean or go outside.

I hadn't thought about the Zantac in a long time.  I remember that being recommended before.

There are some really good studies with the levocertirizine (third generation zyrtec) paired with Zantac, that support it's use.

Edited by melmichigan

Zyrtec worked great for me for a while--until it didn't, and caused insomnia and other problems. I do get concerned about the side effects, but I still go back to Benadryl for occasional night use. The thing that has been most helpful for me is using a Levalbuterol (a Xopenex generic) inhaler when needed. It doesn't cause me to have any side effects that I can tell, and I only use it when needed, which is more often some times and at night, and less often but occasionally during the day. It doesn't cause me jitters like Ventolin. I used to get bronchitis often, and got it four times one winter several years ago. After that, I started the inhaler. I think I have only had bronchitis once since then, and that was several years ago. Interestingly, I started using a cpap machine for sleep apnea a little over a year ago, and I have not even had a bad cold since then, though I do get stuffy sometimes (thus the Benadryl).

Zyrtec gives me crazy dreams.  Which might be ok, but it didn't work so great for me.

• Like 1

I haven't heard of that.  Got any links?

I hate having to take it, but nothing else I've tried works all that well.

Have you tried using a nasal spray antihistamine?  Instead of taking a pill, maybe just using one for nasal allergies would give you enough benefit.  Astelin/Astepro are two that are commonly used (Patanase is another but doesn't seem to work as well).  

If you have itchy eyes, then add an allergy eye drop.  

If you need systemic antihistamine, maybe try half or quarter dose twice a day instead of a full dose once a day.  

If you are not seeing a pulmonologist, I would recommend you be evaluated.  Even if you see an allergist who specializes in asthma, a pulmonologist may be able to get you relief from your coughing.  DD suffered with severe asthma for years and was treated by 3 different allergy/asthma doctors.  One trip to the pulminologist who changed her meds, a couple follow up visits to test/adjust doses and she stabilized for the first time in 5 years.  She has only passed spirometry one time, but she did it!   She is on high dose of Symbicort and it was life changing for her.  The other doctors were focused on other meds and had never even tried Symbicort as an option. 

If you haven't tried more natural treatments....maybe consider stinging nettles and eyebright, with local honey.  Combining these with a neti pot can be great for pollen allergies. 

Allegra D causes fewer side effects for me. I also have pretty severe asthma.  Xolair has been a real game changer for my asthma.  It is  given as an injection every 2-4 weeks.  It is a pain but so worth it.  I hope you get it all under control soon.  I know how frustrating it can be.

Suzanne

• Like 1

Have you tried the nose sprays?

Any antihistimine can cause mood disorders over time but the nose sprays are not going to be the same as a pill you take.

I have BBBAADD allergies and have my entire life. I have tried pretty much anything and everything and I am using flonase now and I use some prescription hydroxyzine when I am having extra bad allergy problems.

I use albuterol for the allergy related asthma.

I have an appt with an ENT to try to see if there is more they can do. :/

Edited by Slartibartfast

Have you tried using a nasal spray antihistamine?  Instead of taking a pill, maybe just using one for nasal allergies would give you enough benefit.  Astelin/Astepro are two that are commonly used (Patanase is another but doesn't seem to work as well).  

If you have itchy eyes, then add an allergy eye drop.  

If you need systemic antihistamine, maybe try half or quarter dose twice a day instead of a full dose once a day.  

If you are not seeing a pulmonologist, I would recommend you be evaluated.  Even if you see an allergist who specializes in asthma, a pulmonologist may be able to get you relief from your coughing.  DD suffered with severe asthma for years and was treated by 3 different allergy/asthma doctors.  One trip to the pulminologist who changed her meds, a couple follow up visits to test/adjust doses and she stabilized for the first time in 5 years.  She has only passed spirometry one time, but she did it!   She is on high dose of Symbicort and it was life changing for her.  The other doctors were focused on other meds and had never even tried Symbicort as an option. 

If you haven't tried more natural treatments....maybe consider stinging nettles and eyebright, with local honey.  Combining these with a neti pot can be great for pollen allergies. 

One thing about local honey, if you have bad ragweed/local plant allergies it might make things worse.  I have tea every morning with honey and we tried local raw honey because I had heard it could be helpful.  It sent me into my first full asthma flare-up in years.

I love Allegra, and (bonus!) it doesn't make me drowsy.

Also, for the nasal allergies, which are my main ones, Naselcrom is outstanding, and since it basically forms a physical barrier, it has virtually no side effects.  It takes about 1-2 weeks to work though.  And it doesn't help with the itchy eyes.  But it crushes nasal congestion and post nasal drip.

I wanted to say Thanks!! again for all of the great, helpful responses.

Right now I'm trying Benadryl three times a day and Zantac morning and night.  I've switched from Dulera to Symbicort.  I'm using the albuterol nebulizer morning, noon and night.  I do OK, except for the shakes and high pulse, after the breathing treatment, but I start to feel like I'm breathing through a coffee stirrer instead of a soda straw about the time it is due.  I'm starting to be dependent on it, I think.

As far as the nasal antihistamines, they do tend to make me irritable, too, maybe because too much goes down my throat.  In my current situation, I don't have the classic runny nose allergy symptoms, just closed up airways.  I can try and see if they help that, but it didn't seem to be as connected to me.

ETA: I'm so sorry that so many of you share this problem!

Edited by Joules

This may not apply to you at all, but your stuffiness reminded me of it. After a series of undertreated sinus infections, I finally had a doctor do x-rays of my sinuses. He showed me where the infection was, and said, "The antibiotics can't even get to it with all that inflammation!" He took me through several months of treatment, including a stronger antibiotic, antihistamines, saline washes, etc., and finally cleared up completely a situation that had caused me problems for several years. I just wondered if maybe your problem is a deeper one that is causing the symptoms.

DS has this problem.  He cannot take Allegra, Zyrtec or Claritin.  Singulair [shudder] was a nightmare beyond describing.  But he has bad, bad allergy induced asthma.

Over the years we have found this combo to be best:  Nasonex (nasal spray, Rx) year-round; Q-Var (inhaler); Advair (inhaler).  Q-Var and Advair are not often used together but they actually hit different molecule sizes and work beautifully for him together.  He uses Benadryl at night, Ventolin as needed, Nebulizer when ill.  This past week, he has tried Mucinex during a cold, but that was for illness.

And we do a lot of environmental "fixes."  No carpet, no outgassing furniture/mattresses/building materials (as he has tested high on VOCs, etc); air purifiers with charcoal filters so they catch VOCs; when we replaced our floor we went with Lauzon hardwood, for the nanotech that filters the air.  Windows are closed, pollen is kept out.  Linens and curtains are washed weekly in hot water.  Lots of vacuuming, dusting, few knick knacks to catch dust and pollen.  

• Like 1

Do you use flonase nasal spray? My asthma/allergy DR tells me that the daily flonase is the most critical thing and works better than antihistamines. So, I use the flonase every day but only do antihistamines as needed. 

I like this idea.  My doc mentioned not taking antihistamine once my Nasanox was working.  I'm afraid to quit it.  I've been on antihistamines for 20+years.  :blushing:

• Like 1

DS has this problem.  He cannot take Allegra, Zyrtec or Claritin.  Singulair [shudder] was a nightmare beyond describing.  But he has bad, bad allergy induced asthma.

Over the years we have found this combo to be best:  Nasonex (nasal spray, Rx) year-round; Q-Var (inhaler); Advair (inhaler).  Q-Var and Advair are not often used together but they actually hit different molecule sizes and work beautifully for him together.  He uses Benadryl at night, Ventolin as needed, Nebulizer when ill.  This past week, he has tried Mucinex during a cold, but that was for illness.

And we do a lot of environmental "fixes."  No carpet, no outgassing furniture/mattresses/building materials (as he has tested high on VOCs, etc); air purifiers with charcoal filters so they catch VOCs; when we replaced our floor we went with Lauzon hardwood, for the nanotech that filters the air.  Windows are closed, pollen is kept out.  Linens and curtains are washed weekly in hot water.  Lots of vacuuming, dusting, few knick knacks to catch dust and pollen.  

Getting rid of all our carpeting made a HUGE difference to me, too!! And the HEPA filter in the bedroom, no pets in the bedroom, etc . . . those things make a HUGE difference and are so important!!

• Like 2

Getting rid of all our carpeting made a HUGE difference to me, too!! And the HEPA filter in the bedroom, no pets in the bedroom, etc . . . those things make a HUGE difference and are so important!!

Yes! We put a baby gate at the top of the stairs, so the dogs can't come up anymore. We were all sad at first, but 8 hours in a room with a good air filter every night really helps. :)

• Like 1

THANK YOU for this discussion.

Because of this thread, it just dawned on me that 24 hr Nasacort has very likely been triggering anxiety.  It does a great job of helping with nasal allergy symptoms (really, pretty awesome after 2 weeks of consistent use), but given wintertime and lessening of pollen, mold etc, I had stopped using it several months ago- and upon reflection my anxiety has been more consistently under control.

Then last week, started using it regularly again (1 spray each nostril, at bedtime) upon the advice of my ENT and WHAM- my anxiety was flipped on like a switch.  I've never seen anything so distinct and honestly, it's like a gift that it was so obvious.  I went from feeling a 2-3 anxiety wise, to an 8-9.  Just like that.  So on a hunch, I stopped using it 48 hours ago out of curiosity.  And wow- after 18-24 hours after the final dose, the anxiety receded.  Just like that. And I'm back to normal- still a little punchy and raw which is normal in the aftermath of anxiety- but pretty zen.  

I would never ever have made the connection if not for this conversation. 

I have underlying depression issues and have experienced anxiety in the last 2-3 years now as well- but am just flabbergasted that maybe Nasacort has really been exacerbating the issues.   It makes sense as its a steroid, right? Maybe I'm just super sensitive.   

So yes- for antihistamine purposes Nasacort was awesome (and highly recommended by ENT and PCP).  But apparently not a match for me.  

• Like 5