Menu

Question about VideoText...

On the web site it says that if you complete both the Algebra series and the Geometry series (which isn't finished yet of course) that it will count for math credit all the way from Pre-Alg to Pre-Calc. Do you think that is accurate? I could count it as 4 years of high school math?

1 year of Alg. 1

1 year of Alg. 2

1 year of Geometry

1 year of Pre-calc/Trig

Ifyou follow their way to the letter, it should take you all four years. If you follow it the way I did, you will finish 4 years of math in 2 (I basically did one lesson a day, as opposed to every other day).

So yes, it is true. I'd have it done in two years, then move on to consumer math or some other "real world" math for the remaining two years.

I'm assuming we will take four years to go through it -- having not seen the geometry yet, I can only extrapolate based on the Algebra course, but I expect we'll do both in a similar manner. Here's how we're doing it:

Except in Mod. A, which was largely review, we don't usually do a quiz and a lesson on the same day, but even so, doing the full Algebra course that way would take less than two years, but more than one year. Some of the extra days we've filled with doing the worksheets from the website, which seem to have slightly more complicated versions of the problems. Several times per module, I take a day or two and just have him do assorted problems from the extra practice worksheets, which also works as a good review of previous material. (Warning: unlike the rest of the material, the answers for those problems are not worked out for you. Fortunately, my husband is good at this stuff so he can help us if I can't figure out what my son did wrong!)

Including the worksheets, we'll still finish Module F by sometime in April, I think, and I plan to have him spend the rest of the time in ALEKS. Two reasons: one, just in case there are any gaps in VT; and two, exposure to more than one curriculum is a real benefit in math. Disclaimer: I don't yet know if not having had Geometry between Alg 1 and 2 will make doing ALEKS Algebra 2 a problem or not.

I've loved VT for us, but I'm also curious to see how he does on ALEKS. It will be a good test of his ultimate understanding and retention from the last two years, I think!

Well, my older son did VT's Algebra I and II programming and he's going to take trig/pre-calc next year at a private school, so I guess I'll see then if it's prepared him for it. I know that they say that they cut out a lot of the extraneous stuff and wasteful repetition, but this son has always been one who needs that repetition in order to retain math info. If he had stayed home and continued with their new Geometry program this year, then I would have still searched around for another higher level math for him to do next year. I just don't think it's a good idea for him to be out of higher level maths for a year or two before taking his college entrance exams because I don't think that he'll retain enough to do well on them if he's not using those skills on a regular basis.

So, the programming might really be enough for someone who is math oriented and can retain their info. I look at it as being sort of like Singapore; not a ton of repitition. But for those who need that repetition, I don't think that I would let them sit out of higher maths for a year or more before applying to colleges.

Regena