Menu

Anyone participate in Night to Shine today? (Attendee or volunteer?)

6packofun

Two of my daughters and my dh helped at our church's Night to Shine.  It's SO fabulous!!  My youngest dd (17) got to be a buddy for a young man and I'm still anxiously awaiting her coming home to tell me about it.  They got limo rides and did karaoke and probably danced the evening away.  LOL

The local news shot some video footage and I saw my dh.  It cracked me up...he was filming for the church/Tim Tebow Foundation and doing sound/tech stuff and he was walking by with his reading glasses down, looking over them like an old dude.  HEHE!!  He's going to LOVE seeing himself.  :P

I hope any of you with special kids who got to go had an amazing time!!

• Like 4

I talked to a 30ish-year-old woman today who went. She loved it. She was still wearing the princess crown that she was given at the dance. I have known this woman for two or three years, and she normally does not like to participate in special-needs events as a participant. She normally takes on the role of helper for someone with more-severe special needs. So, it must have been great for her to love it.

• Like 1

My ds was invited to a really big one (at a professional sports venue). We decided it looked like a really great thing, but we wanted to wait before participating. He's still getting used to smaller social events through Best Buddies and Capernaum. He's enjoying doing these things without mom. But last week he was nervous going to an event with another parent. He may have been OK getting on the busses Capernaum was using to get to a Night to Shine, but I'm not sure. 

I'm glad to hear you liked it.

• Like 1

I just wanted to share that we still have a lot of work to do in getting the word "retard" to die its much-needed death.  :(  My 2 younger daughters were helping out and our *pastor's son*, a teen, AT the Night to Shine event said in a break room (so no guests, thank God) that his friend did something stupid the other day and "what a retard."  My girls were FLOORED.  19yo dd said that everyone sort of stopped talking, many raised their eyebrows, and finally SHE said something.  So proud of her for telling him that it was inappropriate in ANY context but especially as they were there to serve people who have been demeaned by that word!!  UGH.  I know and am sensitive to the fact that many people have used this term all their lives and it takes time to learn new habits, etc. but this just shows that we have new generations to teach!

• Like 3