Menu

So there was more to that story in Buffalo...

Katy

The judge not only upheld the decision to keep the children out of that woman's home (she claimed it was due to homeschooling), he also ruled she must have visits supervised (and not by her own family).

That doesn't sound like a homeschooling/truancy reason to me.  It sounds like abuse or drug exposure.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/family-court-judge-denies-homeschool-moms-custody-request

• Like 4

next court date is march 15.

from the story:

County workers in court citing what Harris' lawyer Guite calls "baseless allegations" from her past as to why she shouldn't have her kids back.

"Their allegations did not rise to the level of imminent danger," Guite said.

what, pray tell, were those "baseless" accusations?  when were they, and why are you claiming it's all about homeschool?  trying to drum up sympathy? .

the only thing the school district would say implies she didn't have full custody, but by filing paperwork, it claims she did. 

The Buffalo Public School District says it cannot comment on this case due to Federal Laws but says in order for a parent to file for homeschooling, they must have full custody of the children. The District also says that in general, a letter of intent is submitted and it is acknowledged along with the requirements for submitting the individual education plans. The District says the children are not to be taken out of school until such time those plans are approved.

According to the article, CPS had already been contacted about Harris before she filed the paperwork to homeschool. It also says that the children are in "the court-supervised care of their grandmother," which I assume is the paternal grandmother, since the judge dismissed the request for Harris's own mother to supervise her visitation. So custody issues seem to be involved as well.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

The Buffalo Public School District says it cannot comment on this case due to Federal Laws but says in order for a parent to file for homeschooling, they must have full custody of the children. The District also says that in general, a letter of intent is submitted and it is acknowledged along with the requirements for submitting the individual education plans. The District says the children are not to be taken out of school until such time those plans are approved.

Huh. NY law doesn't give the school district the authority to approve the IHIP (individualized home instruction plan).

What a mess. :-(

My dd worked in CPS in a large city.  Typically, it is a lengthy, complex process to get children removed from the home.  There may be abuses or mistakes in the system from time to time, but most CPS workers really do have the best interest of the children in mind and I would also hazard to guess that most of the time the children should have been removed earlier rather than later.  CPS isn't allowed to make any comments at all on the case due to privacy issues, but then the public only hears one side of the story and homeschoolers (in general) get all riled up about the mom's rights being taken away.  Then, we, as a homeschooling community, all look like idiots who can't see more than one side to the story.  Ugh.  I just had this conversation irl, so I'm annoyed.  

• Like 6

My dd worked in CPS in a large city. Typically, it is a lengthy, complex process to get children removed from the home. There may be abuses or mistakes in the system from time to time, but most CPS workers really do have the best interest of the children in mind and I would also hazard to guess that most of the time the children should have been removed earlier rather than later. CPS isn't allowed to make any comments at all on the case due to privacy issues, but then the public only hears one side of the story and homeschoolers (in general) get all riled up about the mom's rights being taken away. Then, we, as a homeschooling community, all look like idiots who can't see more than one side to the story. Ugh. I just had this conversation irl, so I'm annoyed.

AMEN. We have homeschooled and been foster parents for over 100 children.

• Like 4

Huh. NY law doesn't give the school district the authority to approve the IHIP (individualized home instruction plan).

What a mess. :-(

the school district has also been dragged into it -by the mother - but they can't comment.

education plans can be part of a custody decree and the parent has to comply with that decree.

first offenses do not get kids removed from a home.

My dd worked in CPS in a large city.  Typically, it is a lengthy, complex process to get children removed from the home.  There may be abuses or mistakes in the system from time to time, but most CPS workers really do have the best interest of the children in mind and I would also hazard to guess that most of the time the children should have been removed earlier rather than later.  CPS isn't allowed to make any comments at all on the case due to privacy issues, but then the public only hears one side of the story and homeschoolers (in general) get all riled up about the mom's rights being taken away.  Then, we, as a homeschooling community, all look like idiots who can't see more than one side to the story.  Ugh.  I just had this conversation irl, so I'm annoyed.  

I remember a comment kalanmak made years ago.  she worked at a state psychiatric hospital which would make the news - and of course, the stories were *always* colored against the state workers.  kalanmak commented the workers are not allowed to say anything about the patients/incidents in the news, but if they did - it would flip the perception from the state workers were morons, to there are reasons things happened they way they did/ some of those patients are very dangerous and there's a reason they're locked up.

• Like 1