Menu

If my ds hit himself in the head and has a bruise...

PeterPan

Do I need to be worried about something more? I wasn't till he said he had a headache. But he has autism, so I think he also means that literally, like the spot on my head hurts. Because when I asked him to touch where the headache is or whether it's all over, he touched only the bruise. And when I asked him to clarify if he meant like yucky or groggy, he backed away from calling it a headache.

Is it a nothing? The bruise is going down with ice. I just got kinda concerned there for a minute. I asked about whether he saw spots or whether things went dark, whether he felt disoriented or dizzy when it happened, and everything was all no. 

Still, since it's on his head, like right at/above his eyebrow, do I need to do anything more?

By bruise do you mean it's swelling?  How much?  What did he do?

Does he have any other symptoms?  Can he squeeze both your hands with both of his hands with equal strength?  Can he track something with both fingers and both eyes?  Does he seem at all more tired or confused?  If any of the latter are true, I'd take him to the ER for a check.

• Like 2

By bruise do you mean it's swelling?  How much?  What did he do?

Does he have any other symptoms?  Can he squeeze both your hands with both of his hands with equal strength?  Can he track something with both fingers and both eyes?  Does he seem at all more tired or confused?  If any of the latter are true, I'd take him to the ER for a check.

Let me go check and get back to you. That's what I was looking for, what the criteria were. 

If he hit himself in the head because of the headache, I'd be considerably more concerned. 

No, hit hit himself by accident while hitting at something ELSE because he was very angry because the BJU 4 teacher in the video had the audacity to say ECHO-system over and over instead of ECO-system. And if you have autism and are very rigid, that's a mortal sin. 

And because he has autism and is under-response on pain, I can't guarantee that he's actually telling me things completely. I need those physical criteria to check.

And yes, the correct word is swelling. It swelled up immediately and is going down quickly with a bag of peas wrapped in a cloth. I don't think it's largely discolored. I'll check in a sec. I think it's mildly discolored. 

He's now saying it feels funny. Back once I look him over. His worker is coming soon too, so she can watch his symptoms.

If he has vomiting, confusion, a disparity in strength between sides, or a problem tracking an object with both eyes or index fingers, or one eye is dilated more than the other, I'd take him in.  Any of those symptoms, you can have a severe concussion and not have all of them.

• Like 3

If he has vomiting, confusion, a disparity in strength between sides, or a problem tracking an object with both eyes or index fingers, or one eye is dilated more than the other, I'd take him in.  Any of those symptoms, you can have a severe concussion and not have all of them.

Thanks ladies! Sorry to take so long getting back. He is a little tired, but he's not having any of the symptoms you listed. I've checked multiple times and been rechecking, just to be really sure. 

I'll keep watching it, but I think we're good. I really appreciate the clear lists though, thanks. I think it really scared HIM that it hit him so hard, and with that much screaming it was just really hard to know what to make of it. It shook me up. He worked ok with his worker and he's taking it easy, so hopefully it should be ok.

• Like 2

How is he feeling now, Elizabeth? I hope he's okay!

He's just a little slow and tired. Like he asked to get into pjs, but I think that actually meant he had wet his pants (not uncommon for him). He's eating ok, tracking ok, and now has just a mild red/pink mark and some swelling. I could offer him the ice again. It went down most of the way, but that might make him feel better.

So I guess it was just shy of anything dreadful, but I think it shook him up AND me. When he's calm, in a day or two we'll have a talk about it. We've been working on some things with practicing safe choices, and that was clearly not a safe choice, something he now realizes.

When my youngest hit her head hard rope-swinging into a tree, someone told me a goose egg was a good sign that the swelling was superficial rather than internal. Not sure if an ER doc would agree with that assessment, but it did reassure me at the time. 

Amy

• Like 3

When my youngest hit her head hard rope-swinging into a tree, someone told me a goose egg was a good sign that the swelling was superficial rather than internal. Not sure if an ER doc would agree with that assessment, but it did reassure me at the time. 

Amy

I had a doctor tell me this when my daughter walked into her brother's (swinging) baseball bat. It was terrifying to watch, and the bump was something else, but she was fine!

• Like 2

Amy

I had a doctor tell me this when my daughter walked into her brother's (swinging) baseball bat. It was terrifying to watch, and the bump was something else, but she was fine!

Oh wow ladies, now you're making me feel better! Yes, this injury is about equivalent to that. And yes it swelled right up like a goose egg and went mostly down with the ice. 

Well good. I had never heard for such a thing (swelling outside means probably not internal), but I'm taking it! :)

• Like 2

I had a pediatrician tell me that once too.  Having worked in an ER though, it's not always true.  Just watch for the signs I told you & get to the ER if any of them pop up.

• Like 3