Menu

Absolutely Bare Minimum Baby Prep

rainbowmama

I had a stillbirth in the summer and now in the home stretch of another pregnancy. Please be gentle. I'm in therapy and have talked to my care providers about where I am mentally and emotionally this pregnancy. I'm trying to make peace with not preparing very much for this baby. Other than a car seat, is there anything I absolutely must have before we have this baby? I have a lot of baby gear from my older living children and from preparing for the child we didn't get to bring home. We live very close to a Walmart and Amazon Prime. Can I get away with just dealing with carseats and either ordering or sending my husband for anything else we don't have in storage? Or is there something important that I'm missing?

I said before that a baby needs a place to sleep, something to wear, something to poop in, something to eat, and a car seat. :) The rest is all extras and can totally wait.

Wishing you peace for the rest of your pregnancy and a happy healthy baby. :)

• Like 11

I've been there. Full term still birth followed 13 months later with another baby (now 11)

I did very very little too. I would suggest diapers and wipes and one outfit to come home in. Maybe one blanket. Everything else can absolutely wait.

Lots and lots of hugs. I have had a total of 5 more babies since my stillbirth and those end months are so difficult every time. Please take care of yourself and be very gentle with yourself.

• Like 3

The hospital will most likely send you home with a day's worth of diapers. Car seat, clothes, blankets, more diapers, bottles & formula (if needed), etc can be purchased by loved ones while you are still in the hospital and brought to you as needed. 

Be gentle with yourself, mama. We never truly get over those losses. 

• Like 3

Diapers, wipes, car seat, stretchy sports bra for nursing and sleeping, one big swaddle blanket, one baby hat, two footed sleepers.

We don't find out the sex of the babies usually and I am a minimalist. That's all I have going into birth and the worked great. We run to the store as needed from there.

What others mentioned plus a receiving blanket.

When my grandmother was in your shoes she ended up with surprise twins. One of them went home in just a diaper. He was no worse off in the end for it though. :) May God bless you.

• Like 3

I had a stillbirth in the summer and now in the home stretch of another pregnancy. Please be gentle. I'm in therapy and have talked to my care providers about where I am mentally and emotionally this pregnancy. I'm trying to make peace with not preparing very much for this baby. Other than a car seat, is there anything I absolutely must have before we have this baby? I have a lot of baby gear from my older living children and from preparing for the child we didn't get to bring home. We live very close to a Walmart and Amazon Prime. Can I get away with just dealing with carseats and either ordering or sending my husband for anything else we don't have in storage? Or is there something important that I'm missing?

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I hope everything goes well this time.  be gentle with yourself as your hormones might hijack you towards the end with a nesting urge.  and gentle with your dh the first few days.  or have a list you can hand to someone to pick up for you so your dh doesn't have to - I'm sure he'll want to be with you and baby.

I don't know everything you have (or not) on hand.  things I'd consider a must have from day one.

diapers.  have those on hand. 

sleepers.  (my favorite are the nightgowns they now do with elastic.  made nighttime diaper changes so easy.)

flannel blankets

binkies

baby wash.  (can also be used for hair for a newborn)

somewhere for baby to sleep laying down that is safe - even if it's a basket.

nursing bras

nursing gown or pj's with easy to pull up shirt.

• Like 1

Hugs, OP. Just a car seat is fine. You can do this.

Sending your DH to stop at the store after baby is here for diapers and a bottle if you need one is fine. Amazon prime and Walmart will have everything you need.

If I was going to have one other thing on hand, it would be a package of the pads you prefer to deal with post-delivery bleeding, but that's mostly just for convenience and comfort.

Hugs again.

Car seat, nursing bra, and giant pads for myself would be the only immediately necessary things I would want input in choosing. Diapers and everything else can be grabbed at Target by DH or family or friend.

I lived in the Bravado tanks that have some sizing (band/cup instead of S-M-L-XL) to them for a long time. The body of the tank gave some support to my belly area too. Not for vanity's sake, but it felt comforting. Amazon carries them usually with free returns.