Menu

Your favorite mattress and why, please?

Slache

I have procrastinated (have been in every mattress thread on this forum for at least a year) forever and I think we will finally buy a Saatva. It's supposed to be a hybrid of coil and memory foam.

At this point whatever we get will be better than what we have.

ETA: Sil suggested Dunlopillow - she said it was outstanding quality - but I could not find a distributor here. Evidently, it comes from Canada. If anyone knows more about this, please chime in.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I have procrastinated forever and I think we will finally buy a Saatva. It's supposed to be a hybrid of coil and memory foam.

At this point whatever we get will be better than what we have.

ETA: Sil suggested Dunlopillow - she said it was outstanding quality - but I could not find a distributor here. Evidently, it comes from Canada. If anyone knows more about this, please chime in.

Valid point! I'm looking at this.

Valid point! I'm looking at this.

I looked at Tuft & Needle as well. I cannot remember why we decided against it. I don't think it was a huge issue or I would remember. Are you looking to replace a King or Queen?

I am toying with buying two twins as dh and I have different firmness preferences.

• Like 1

I looked at Tuft & Needle as well. I cannot remember why we decided against it. I don't think it was a huge issue or I would remember. Are you looking to replace a King or Queen?

I am toying with buying two twins as dh and I have different firmness preferences.

Queen. We live in an apartment. :crying:

Queen. We live in an apartment. :crying:

I really like our Serta iComfort Insight mattress. It's made with gel memory foam and has a much more comfy feel than a regular mattress. Plus, my husband is awesome at haggling and got the price knocked down considerably.  :thumbup1:

I think I'd be leery of buying a mattress without going into a store to try it. We tried a ton of them and only liked a couple.

• Like 4

I really like our Serta iComfort Insight mattress. It's made with gel memory foam and has a much more comfy feel than a regular mattress. Plus, my husband is awesome at haggling and got the price knocked down considerably.  :thumbup1:

I think I'd be leery of buying a mattress without going into a store to try it. We tried a ton of them and only liked a couple.

Free shipping, free returns. Otherwise I completely agree.

• Like 2

The last time we needed a mattress, DH's theory was that we should go to the store and lay on some, and mine was that since every time we go anywhere one or the other of us seems to hate our mattress by morning, this was unlikely to work.  Also, my favorite mattress EVER is a flotation one, which was not feasible for the new location, so ugh.  (Ugh is the summary, LOL).

We went back and forth for quite a while, but then DH recalled that when we stayed at our timeshare at Tahoe we liked their mattress, both of us, for a whole week.  So we called them up, and ended up buying the same one, a Simmons beautyrest commercial one, of a type that is not generally sold in retail stores supposedly.  We are delighted with this decision--it was absolutely perfect for our situation.  The only caveat is that the mattress is much deeper than older standard ones, and so we had to buy a special buckyboard that was only a few inches deep to substitute in for the box spring for the height to work for us.  Here is the verbiage in their letter to us introducing the product:

.  "The Simmons bed sets used in hotels are commercial models that are not available for sale in retail stores.  Commercial bed sets are developed independently of the retail offering and are engineered to a specific comfort level and a much higher durability standard due to the potential rigors that may be placed upon them in the commercial setting.  Our service makes the entire commercial offering of the Simmons Company available for sale and home delivery to hotel guests throughout the United States.

You have already done the so called "test rest" and all we do is replicate that experience by bringing that same, brand new, Simmons model to your home and set it up for you.  And what's more, we sell these bed sets at a substantial savings as compared to retail models of comparable quality!"

• Like 4

The last time we needed a mattress, DH's theory was that we should go to the store and lay on some, and mine was that since every time we go anywhere one or the other of us seems to hate our mattress by morning, this was unlikely to work. Also, my favorite mattress EVER is a flotation one, which was not feasible for the new location, so ugh. (Ugh is the summary, LOL).

We went back and forth for quite a while, but then DH recalled that when we stayed at our timeshare at Tahoe we liked their mattress, both of us, for a whole week. So we called them up, and ended up buying the same one, a Simmons beautyrest commercial one, of a type that is not generally sold in retail stores supposedly. We are delighted with this decision--it was absolutely perfect for our situation. The only caveat is that the mattress is much deeper than older standard ones, and so we had to buy a special buckyboard that was only a few inches deep to substitute in for the box spring for the height to work for us. Here is the verbiage in their letter to us introducing the product:

. "The Simmons bed sets used in hotels are commercial models that are not available for sale in retail stores. Commercial bed sets are developed independently of the retail offering and are engineered to a specific comfort level and a much higher durability standard due to the potential rigors that may be placed upon them in the commercial setting. Our service makes the entire commercial offering of the Simmons Company available for sale and home delivery to hotel guests throughout the United States.

You have already done the so called "test rest" and all we do is replicate that experience by bringing that same, brand new, Simmons model to your home and set it up for you. And what's more, we sell these bed sets at a substantial savings as compared to retail models of comparable quality!"

THANKS!
  • Like 1

I believe ours is a Sealy, I can look for sure if you are interested. It is the first time in my life that I've owned a firm mattress and I still love it after 2 years. It is firm, maybe it's considered semi firm (?) but not uncomfortable at all. I had no idea how much our old pillowtop was contributing to a poor nights sleep and unnecessary aches and pains. It was far too soft. Never again will I own a pillow top.

• Like 1

I believe ours is a Sealy, I can look for sure if you are interested. It is the first time in my life that I've owned a firm mattress and I still love it after 2 years. It is firm, maybe it's considered semi firm (?) but not uncomfortable at all. I had no idea how much our old pillowtop was contributing to a poor nights sleep and unnecessary aches and pains. It was far too soft. Never again will I own a pillow top.

Yes, those things are terrible!

• Like 1

I spent 3 hours in the mattress store laying down on everything there.  I had a great sales person who listened to me and let me start with super soft and work up to firm and the back and forth between 2 mattresses for a long time.  I even had my kids with me ;-)  

We ended up with a traditional mattress, very firm as dh would say.  I was afraid if we got the slightly softer mattress it would be too soft too soon.  

However, where I did splurge is on the base.  We bought an adjustable base.  I can raise the head or feet or both.  It has a vibrating mode that puts me to sleep :-)  This bed is so popular in our house right now.  I put it up in a taco mode before bed to just sit and talk and everyone comes to join me and dh.  

I will admit my super firm(will be soft in the future) mattress was like a brick the first month.  I have a sleep tracker and I went from 2 hours good sleep a night to 6-7 most nights.  I believe it's a Beautyrest, on the tempurpedic adjustable base.  That base is worth the money.  I use less pillows and when my heartburn is bad I move my head up, when dh is snoring I move the head up or turn on the vibrate and he stops.  My twitchy legs stopped.  I'm sleeping so much better and no longer exhausted at 3pm.  

Oh, my hard mattress isn't so hard already...it's been 2.5 months.  I'm glad I pushed for the firmer mattress.  We hope it will last 10 years.  The base has a 10 year warranty on it !!  And I think we paid another $100 for in home repair(it's a monster in weight), so they will come fix it for me if something goes wrong. 

• Like 1

I like a sprung mattresses with a memory foam top layer built in. You get the firmness of the springs with just enough memory foam squish for that little bit of comfort and they don't transfer movement. I find completely memory foam mattresses a bit too soft for my taste.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 2

We got the kiddo a natural latex mattress about 10 years ago (as his first bed) and this thing is so comfortable that I occasionally nap out in his room. Really delicious!

Latex, IMO, is far better than memory foam. More comfortable and has none of the drawbacks (ie doesn't get hard in cold weather, doesn't sleep hot in warm weather, and you don't "sink" into latex the way you do with memory foam).

In CA there were very strict laws requiring bed be sprayed with very controversial fire retardants. This bed took a doctor's note (no spray).

I'm a fan of natural latex.

Bill 

• Like 2

We got the kiddo a natural latex mattress about 10 years ago (as his first bed) and this thing is so comfortable that I occasionally nap out in his room. Really delicious!

Latex, IMO, is far better than memory foam. More comfortable and has none of the drawbacks (ie doesn't get hard in cold weather, doesn't sleep hot in warm weather, and you don't "sink" into latex the way you do with memory foam).

In CA there were very strict laws requiring bed be sprayed with very controversial fire retardants. This bed took a doctor's note (no spray).

I'm a fan of natural latex.

Bill

Would I be able to try one at a regular mattress store?

Would I be able to try one at a regular mattress store?

Doubtful. Unless times have changed.

Natural latex beds tend to be alternatives to the toxic-stew of chemicals found in regular mattresses, and are usually sold online or through specialty retailers. But I haven't looked in a decade.

Bill

• Like 2

We bought a CA King when we first got married.  The mattress was firm but then we had a 6" or 8" latex mattress on top of that.  We had it for 18 years.

We bought it directly from the store.

When we opted to changed our bed style, we also opted to get different mattresses.  We now have a split king tempurpedic bed.  DH wanted firmer and I wanted softer, and this allowed us to have different firmness.  AND DH twitched and moves even in his sleep and I wasn't sleeping.  I no longer feel him moving around.  YAY.

I haven't looked for latex in so long that I have no idea if they sell them in stores around here.

• Like 2

Doubtful. Unless times have changed.

Natural latex beds tend to be alternatives to the toxic-stew of chemicals found in regular mattresses, and are usually sold online or through specialty retailers. But I haven't looked in a decade.

Bill

Do you remember the name of the company you ordered from?

Do you remember the name of the company you ordered from?

I do. It was called Nirvana Safe Haven / Nontoxic.com.

The beds we got were actually produced by a local Los Angeles company called RoyalPedic, so we got to try them in a local showroom. We (wife and I) got a traditional inner-spring with a latex and wool topper. The kid got total latex.

I love our bed, but if I had a redo I'd have gone full latex for us too.

At the time Nirvana Safe Haven had deep discounts on RoyalPedic beds. I believe RoyalPedic cracked down a bit, and the price has gone up. These beds are expensive. But I think there are many other manufacturers now. I would search around. I'm sure you can get a good latex bed for less.

Bill

• Like 2

We haven't been so thrilled with our latex mattress.  We've had it ohhh 10 years now I think.  Fairly quickly after getting it it formed an indent where you lay that doesn't go away.  So then shortly after that the indent became worse and if you try to sleep anywhere else you are irritated by this indent.  Hopefully I'm explaining that right.

it's just that it was very expensive and we didn't want to spend more money.  I just won't buy another one is what I'm saying! 

• Like 1

We bought a king sized Tuft and Needle a year ago before DH's spine surgery. It's firm, but comfortable. I don't have problems with overheating, and that's something I'm sensitive to. There aren't permanent divots, but if I get too close to DH in the middle of the night, I'll roll toward him slightly. DH has no related back complaints, though it took a few weeks for my hips to get used to not having a bulky, fluffy mattress pad. After that, it's less painful to get out of than before. Truly no complaints.

Of course the best part is the couple minutes watching it "inflate" (recompress? un-uncompress?) after opening the box they send it in.

• Like 2

We bought a king sized Tuft and Needle a year ago before DH's spine surgery. It's firm, but comfortable. I don't have problems with overheating, and that's something I'm sensitive to. There aren't permanent divots, but if I get too close to DH in the middle of the night, I'll roll toward him slightly. DH has no related back complaints, though it took a few weeks for my hips to get used to not having a bulky, fluffy mattress pad. After that, it's less painful to get out of than before. Truly no complaints.

Of course the best part is the couple minutes watching it "inflate" (recompress? un-uncompress?) after opening the box they send it in.

You can get the same thing by buying popcorn for $3. :laugh:

Thanks for the review though!

• Like 1

Ikea Mattress.  

Whys:

1) it was cheap

2) my DH and I couldn't agree on what we liked at other stores, and we were open to 2-3,000$ models

3) the ikea was the first one where neither of us vetoed immediately

4) even if we decided we didn't like it later, we didn't have that "but we spent so much" regret/pause about getting a new one

5) we've had it 3 or 4 years now. We talk about replacing it, but are comfortable enough that it's not a big deal. 

6) cheap.

If we get a nice windfall, we are thinking of trying the Purple Mattress that is being heavily advertised. But, we are happy enough that a new mattress isn't something we are budgeting for or think about often. It's not love at first sight, or a gushing review, but an acceptable level of comfort and I wake up fine and without any pain from the mattress. 

Disclaimer: I've never had a super nice mattress, in my life.  If you are used to name brand or tech-cutting mattresses, this probably won't work for you. But, in my case, the Ikea was actually an upgrade. 

• Like 1

.  Fairly quickly after getting it it formed an indent where you lay that doesn't go away.  So then shortly after that the indent became worse and if you try to sleep anywhere else you are irritated by this indent.  Hopefully I'm explaining that right.

This is exactly what happened with our $1000 Sealy Posturpedic. Within a couple of months, the little "canoes" were already forming. It supposedly had a 30 year warranty against this very thing. Reading the fine print, though, it says that the dents have to be at least so many inches deep before the warranty kicks in. I hate this mattress and will never buy another one. It's less than 5 years old.

• Like 2

This is exactly what happened with our $1000 Sealy Posturpedic. Within a couple of months, the little "canoes" were already forming. It supposedly had a 30 year warranty against this very thing. Reading the fine print, though, it says that the dents have to be at least so many inches deep before the warranty kicks in. I hate this mattress and will never buy another one. It's less than 5 years old.

I'm so afraid of this with our new mattresses that we make it a point to sleep in different places on different nights.  If one of us is not around, the other sleeps right in the middle.  We are determined to wear it evenly.

Would you mind sharing your brand?

I bought it locally. It's one of these: http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-12713436143135/cgi-bin/nsearch?vwcatalog=yhst-12713436143135&query=Latex&x=0&y=0&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mattressfactorynw.com%2F

I think it's the 6 inch with bamboo cover. I know whatever we got was "gently firm". Sorry, Its been 15 years and I can't exactly remember. HTH a little!

• Like 1

Also, the Tuft and Needle is very reasonably priced, if you think you'll like it. It's not a huge investment if it doesn't work out. My son is small and likely to remain so. I don't remember if that was a factor in choosing this brand, though. He is sleeping more soundly and longer. 

• Like 1

DH has a bad back, so we seem to go through a mattress every 5-8 years. We got a Leesa about 2 years ago, and it is working very well for DH, and is fine for me, as well. DH's back doesn't hurt in the mornings, and I don't seem to need to roll over as frequently on this mattress. However, it did take a few weeks to get used to it (my back felt stiff and tired until I got used to it).

The nice things about this mattress:

- it cost less than many of the conventional mattresses

- it has a 30 (90??) day guarantee that they'll take it back if you don't like it

- it was delivered to our door

- they also took away the old mattress

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Yeah, this is a real bummer.  I won't buy another one.  I think a quality coil mattress can't be beat.  Never had anything like that happen with a coil mattress.  Not even a cheap crappy one.

We couldn't pursue a return because we moved to another state.

And lest anyone thing maybe I'm just too large, that's ridiculous.  I'm like 5ft tall and weigh well under average for an adult woman.  If I were 300 plus pounds...OK..."maybe".  But that's not even close to the situation.  So how in heck does that happen?  And we paid more than $1000 for it.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...