Menu

How much sunscreen should we pack?

Kassia

We live in Ohio and are going to the Dominican Republic in May.  We'll be outdoors for six days and I'm not sure how much sunscreen to pack.  I have 8 oz. tubes of lotion and was thinking one tube per person plus one extra?  I guess it would be better to have too much than not enough, but I don't want to lug a suitcase filled with unnecessary items either.  

We have never been to the Dominican Republic. My kids do use up a tube of water resistant sunscreen each if we spend a week at the beach or amusement park. My kids love getting soaked. I bring a small tube of facial sunscreen though as my face is hypersensitive and I wear long sleeves and jeans even in summer so my focus is more on my face and hands.

• Like 1

I would think that what you are bringing is fine, and if you run out, you should be able to buy more once you are there.

I live in FL and will tell you that your sunscreen needs will increase if you are going to be in/around water vs. just outside in the sun.   My entire family is pretty fair-skinned, but one of my kids is especially fair with very sensitive skin, and she can go 1/2 day without needing to reapply sunscreen if we're just outdoors.   If we're at the beach, a water park, or in a pool, however, she needs to reapply sunscreen every hour or she'll burn badly.   I think with water activities, she wipes her face constantly when she gets in or out of the water, so she rubs the sunscreen off.   So if you'll be in the water, be extra vigilant - there's no harm in applying too much or too often, but you'll be miserable if you get a bad sunburn on your first couple days there.

• Like 1

I would think that what you are bringing is fine, and if you run out, you should be able to buy more once you are there.

I live in FL and will tell you that your sunscreen needs will increase if you are going to be in/around water vs. just outside in the sun.   My entire family is pretty fair-skinned, but one of my kids is especially fair with very sensitive skin, and she can go 1/2 day without needing to reapply sunscreen if we're just outdoors.   If we're at the beach, a water park, or in a pool, however, she needs to reapply sunscreen every hour or she'll burn badly.   I think with water activities, she wipes her face constantly when she gets in or out of the water, so she rubs the sunscreen off.   So if you'll be in the water, be extra vigilant - there's no harm in applying too much or too often, but you'll be miserable if you get a bad sunburn on your first couple days there.

I am hoping to not have to buy it down there since we'll be at a resort and I'm sure it will be outrageously expensive.  Good point about the water - we will definitely be in the water and/or sweating!  

are you allowed to have sunscreen on a plane?

Only in the checked luggage for containers larger than 3 oz.  

I have only done a very few flights, but we were not allowed to have shampoo in checked in luggage, so I thought sunscreen would be similar.

Who did not allow it??? People take shampoo in checked luggage all the time. It is not a prohibited item.

You might want to pack it in a plastic bag in case of leaking, but shampoo is NOT forbidden for air travel.

Definately pack more sunscreen for water sports. My kids needed reapplying every 2hrs or they look like lobsters.

I have only done a very few flights, but we were not allowed to have shampoo in checked in luggage, so I thought sunscreen would be similar.

There are quantity restrictions but shampoo is allowed for carry on and checked in luggage in Australia.

"Liquid, aerosol or gel items must be in containers of 100 millilitres (volume), 100 grams (weight) or less.

Containers must fit into one transparent and re-sealable plastic bag like a snap-lock sandwich bag.

The four sides of the bag's sealed area must add up to no more than 80 centimetres (e.g. 20x20 cm or 15x25 cm).

Only one bag is allowed per passenger, with exceptions for carers who may carry the bag/s for people in their care, including children." http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/onboard/liquids-aerosols-and-gels.aspx

ETA:

Shampoo is listed under liquid on the link.

Edited by Arcadia

When we go to the beach yearly we take both the cream/lotion as well as spray and a face stick. Process is to thickly apply the face stick and lotion away from the beach and sand. Then we use the spray to touch up/re apply during the day. This saves money but also we learned that the lotion is impossible to reapply on sandy skin. It's like running sandpaper all over. But we are fair skinned enough that we need multiple reapplications so this process works well for us.

The spray does not cover well enough for all day for us BTW.

Just FYI in case it's helpful

• Like 1

There are quantity restrictions but shampoo is allowed for carry on and checked in luggage in Australia.

"Liquid, aerosol or gel items must be in containers of 100 millilitres (volume), 100 grams (weight) or less.

Containers must fit into one transparent and re-sealable plastic bag like a snap-lock sandwich bag.

The four sides of the bag's sealed area must add up to no more than 80 centimetres (e.g. 20x20 cm or 15x25 cm).

Only one bag is allowed per passenger, with exceptions for carers who may carry the bag/s for people in their care, including children." http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/onboard/liquids-aerosols-and-gels.aspx

"Australia restricts the quantity of liquids, aerosols and gels you can carry onboard international flights only, these restrictions do not apply to your checked-in baggage. "

Even in Australia you can take as much shampoo as you want to in your suitcase.

We're also in Ohio and went to North Carolina this past summer.  There are 6 of us, 2 adults and 4 children under 10.  We averaged a little more than a bottle per day.  We would be at the beach in the morning and everyone would use it then.  Then, in the afternoon, usually just the older 3 kids would use it while they played in the pool.  DH and I would sit in the shade watching them and the littlest one would be inside napping.  I did reapply more frequently than 2 hours - probably closer to the hour mark - especially for people in the water.   So I would think for adults spending a lot of time in the water, 2 bottles per person makes sense.

• Like 1