Menu

OSU German

DS is at a small private school where they only offer Spanish for a foreign language.  Although that would be the most practical choice, it's not the route he wants to take, so we are outsourcing German.  (Thankfully, the school is willing to give him credit toward graduation for it, as long as it's solid high school level work, and we check a few administrative boxes.)

We tried a course this fall that did not work out well at all, so I've been looking again.  I ran across the high school German program through Oklahoma State University, and just signed up DS to start this week.  Our plan is to complete German 1 at home this spring and summer, and if it works out, have him take 2-3 more years (with a mentor through school) during high school.

I see that some of your students have done this.  Anyone still currently using the program? 

We are going to have him do the optional Skype calls, as I think that speaking out loud is an important piece as he progresses.  I'm not sure how this works though... are they calls one-on-one with an instructor?  Or a group with instructor?  Are there options for students to do additional calls with one another (just as a casual group Skype chat or something)?  I'm just trying to make sure I understand so I can steer him correctly.

I've read some old threads on this, but would love any updated thoughts anyone has on the program, especially if you've done a full year or more of it.

Thanks!!

Edited by SunnyDays
  • Like 1

Hi.

DS (9th grade) has been doing this since late September, and likes it very much. 

Enough that he's decided to push the pace so he can get 5 years (including AP) done in 4.  It's nice that that's possible.

It can be (is at out house) totally student driven - they publish all the materials to the student, etc.

Yes, do the Skype calls.  They're typically 1:1 w/ a TA (grad student in the German dept, I believe).  DS arranged a consistent time each week to speak with them over skype.  He tells me it's usually the same person each week, but he's had occasions where it was someone else.

I believe you can arrange for extra skype sessions if you wish, but I don't think we've ever had occasion to.

• Like 2

This looks very interesting. Thanks for posting it. The price looks reasonable as well if I'm reading in correctly: German I - IV $250/Student. I'm assuming these are full years as opposed to  semester based college courses.

How intense/difficult are the courses on a relative scale compared to other high school courses taken? For example, approximately how many hours are typically spent per week on them? Do you think they get enough speaking time in this program to not have to outsource additional tutoring/speaking times? 

Both our younger daughters have expressed interest in learning German. Any ideas of good places to prepare for high school level 1? Our middle DD will be in 8th grade next year. I wonder if they restrict admission based upon age?

Thanks,

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

Derek, DS is currently an 8th grader and they didn't really even ask about that, so I can't imagine you'd have an issue enrolling your daughters.  When the first course didn't work out, he just spent time with the German content on DuoLingo... enough to confirm that he still liked it!  Yes, they are intended to be full year courses, although as AEC said, it's very much go at your own pace.  I don't really know answers to your other questions since we're just getting started.

AEC, we're planning to compact year one a little bit as well, so that he can take AP German senior year if he wants to.  It's good to know that your son is enjoying it!!  If DS gets into it enough and decides to continue, would your son ever be interested in doing a Skype call between the two of them (and other students, if they're interested) to practice speaking? 

Edited by SunnyDays

Derek, DS is currently an 8th grader and they didn't really even ask about that, so I can't imagine you'd have an issue enrolling your daughters.  When the first course didn't work out, he just spent time with the German content on DuoLingo... enough to confirm that he still liked it!  Yes, they are intended to be full year courses, although as AEC said, it's very much go at your own pace.  I don't really know answers to your other questions since we're just getting started.

AEC, we're planning to compact year one a little bit as well, so that he can take AP German senior year if he wants to.  It's good to know that your son is enjoying it!!  If DS gets into it enough and decides to continue, would your son ever be interested in doing a Skype call between the two of them (and other students, if they're interested) to practice speaking? 

yes, it's 250 for the full school year.  A bargin, IMO.

I seems roughly comparable to 'typical' HS German in content, at least as I recollect having done it. (I took 2 years, though I remember rather little).

DD (will be in 8th) is planning to take the German I course next year and I expect that she'd be iinterested in German speaking sessions w/ other students.  DS is less social, and totally convinced he's perpetually drowning in work (he's not, but he acts like he is, lolz)....so I suspect he'd prefer to pass.

• Like 3

We have been using it for a few years. Ds 17 is currently taking AP German through OSU. It is working fairly well.

I'm very curious to hear about the AP level.  DS is a ways from that, but he's planning for it and if he should pick something else I'd like to prepare him.

How is the course - as far as prep for the AP exam?  Any idea what their student's score distribution is?

How is that class as compared to the non-AP levels?

I'm very curious to hear about the AP level.  DS is a ways from that, but he's planning for it and if he should pick something else I'd like to prepare him.

How is the course - as far as prep for the AP exam?  Any idea what their student's score distribution is?

How is that class as compared to the non-AP levels?

Well, to be honest I am not sure. I'll be happy to report back to you after ds has taken the AP test in May.

I did look through the AP exam information on the College Board and compared it with what the course covers. I do believe that the course does indeed make sure the kids practice things that the exam asks them to do. I.e. write a short essay, give a report comparing something art related between German and American culture. The course also covers not only language but also a lot of German culture and history. All the directions are written in German which is a good thing,imo. The course also uses a lot of different writers, poets, musicians, etc. throughout the course. Ds is learning a lot. 

All that said I am not sure he could make it through the course without someone who speaks German. It would be much more difficult for him. I speak German so that helps.

The tutoring sessions for the AP course are far better and more beneficial than the other courses because they are actually held by Sabine who I believe started the program. She gives excellent feedback on what they need to improve on the essays as well as answers any questions.

The course overall, I think, is pretty good. The online set-up can be a bit cumbersome and could use to be updated to function more smoothly. However, that is something we can overlook and overcome.

Hope this helps.