Menu

Cogat Results-- Now what?

Lere18

I just got my son's Cogat testing results, and he tested extremely high.  I'm not sure what to do with this information because he is my first child. I want to be an advocate for my son, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any resources they can share with me? Any steps I should take? Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by Lere18

How old is your child?

What grade? In school or homeschooled?

If he's in school, I'd start by meeting with the teacher. If he's homeschooled if you ask specific questions I'm sure there are lots of parents of gifted children who could help.  My 2 oldest have really high Cogat verbal scores and,homeschooling, it hasn't really made much of a difference for us.

If he's in the school system, those scores should help you advocate for a placement that better meets his needs (full grade acceleration, subject acceleration, enrichment, etc) or for further testing.  I don't recall if COGAT is enough for DYS, but those scores indicate he would likely be in DYS range, which may be something to consider as well. (I personally wouldn't suggest getting testing just for DYS, but if you have the scores, you might as well apply.)

Personally, I've found out of level standardized achievement tests and subject placement tests to be more useful in figuring out what DD needs to do next and that it's OK to accelerate her, and they also tend to be more recognized for placement purposes. IQ was helpful in justifying letting her go at her own speed and go quickly, but less so as how to manage the day to day.

• Like 2

Similar scores here.  That is what made me suspect my child was gifted, but by the time I looked into the numbers he actually got (the 156 part not the 9A), I'd already decided to move him out of his "normal" school to a school that would allow him acceleration in the area he was best in.  So the question is what else are you observing that indicate his needs aren't being met?   And if you aren't observing something, maybe ask him what he thinks of his schoolwork.

And stick around these forums.  Lots of resources here for kids like him.

So his school is doing a wonderful job.  We just moved into it because his needs were not being met at his last school.  Specifically, he was cast to the side at his last school to work independently nearly the entire day because he was so far ahead.  The new school immediately asked us to schedule this test because they noticed how bright he is.  He loves his teacher, and his teacher engages him which is new for him-- something he truly enjoys, but I do think he could be pushed even more.  He kind of coasts.  I can't say enough good things about the school and his teacher though.  They are definitely taking an interest in my son.  THey care about him in a way that the old school did not.  

What really drove me to write this is I don't want to go in to the school knowing nothing.  I'd like to educate myself and understand what it is that all of this means.  I feel very lost if I'm honest about it, and I feel unprepared.  The school said it'd be talking to us, but I don't want to go there sounding stupid and not being able to advocate for my son.  Does that make sense?

What is DYS range?

Thank you, I'd love to stick around.  Many, many thanks.

• Like 2

Davidson Young Scholars. Davidson is a public school on the campus of the University of Reno which only serves profoundly gifted youth. Your son's scores, more than likely, place him in the profoundly gifted range. Essentailly, it might be impossible for the school to really push him academically while preserving his social needs. I am very glad they are willing to work with you. Hopefully, you can find a solution which meets everyone's needs.

Looking into what it means to be profoundly gifted will probably help you the most.

How old is your child?

So his school is doing a wonderful job.  We just moved into it because his needs were not being met at his last school.  Specifically, he was cast to the side at his last school to work independently nearly the entire day because he was so far ahead.  The new school immediately asked us to schedule this test because they noticed how bright he is.  He loves his teacher, and his teacher engages him which is new for him-- something he truly enjoys, but I do think he could be pushed even more.  He kind of coasts.  I can't say enough good things about the school and his teacher though.  They are definitely taking an interest in my son.  THey care about him in a way that the old school did not.  

What really drove me to write this is I don't want to go in to the school knowing nothing.  I'd like to educate myself and understand what it is that all of this means.  I feel very lost if I'm honest about it, and I feel unprepared.  The school said it'd be talking to us, but I don't want to go there sounding stupid and not being able to advocate for my son.  Does that make sense?

What is DYS range?

Thank you, I'd love to stick around.  Many, many thanks.

If you're wondering what the school can do, there's four main things:

1. Whole grade advancement - stick him in a higher grade classroom.

2. Subject acceleration - move him to a higher class for certain subjects and/or move him to an advanced/compacted track in a subject.

3. In class differentiation - where he's given additional/enrichment material on top of (maybe in place of) the regular material.

4. Then there's the independent study - where the student is placed individually with a computer program or book on his own. You've had that one already.

Each has pros and cons. Where the best solution is depends a lot on the kid and what exactly the school can offer. You can do a mix of all of the above.

Then there's the personal issues. Emotional development, cognitive development, writing skills. There's also the teacher to consider. A great teacher who understands him and is willing to work with him might be worth a lot more right now than moving him to a higher class.

There's also out of school enrichment. Does the school offer any after-school clubs or activities? Would the school be interested in forming a math club or science club or robotics team? If not, can the school recommend clubs in the community?

Are there any community resources for gifted kids? In some places there are Saturday schools or enrichment programs run by Universities or other organizations. The school may know if there are some of these near you, and be helpful in coordinating with the enrichment class.

IME, schools are very cautious with making decisions, even with hard test scores. It's not like they'll tell you "Oh, look at those numbers! On Monday drop him off at high school instead, awesome!" They'll probably spin out a few multi-year scenarios and options if you're lucky. If you're unlucky...you'll get told that everything is already awesome, and that they don't need to offer your son anything else.

• Like 1

The Davidson Young Scholars Program also offers family support and a chance to connect with other parents of gifted children-and for gifted kids in that extreme range to connect with each other. We have participated for several years, and definitely have found it worthwhile. The Young Scholars program is free, although many of the opportunities they offer have costs involved, sometimes pretty significant ones.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/

EndofOrdinary, my son is 7.  I don't think we can move to Reno, but I'll check out the family support and online resources.  I will also look up profoundly gifted.  Thank you!

SarahW, 
1. Not a fan of skipping grades.  He's already youngest in the class.  I'm afraid he'll be a peewee compared to the kids a year older.  He'll be 2 years younger.
2. I think this might be a good option.  It's what they're doing currently.  He works with a group 3 grade levels up in reading, and I have a feeling they're waiting for a different test score before bumping him in math.
3. His teacher does this too.  I love his teacher.  She's one of those once in a lifetime teachers.
4. HATE HATE HATE.  This is what he's had up until now.  No reason to go to school.  He could sit in a corner and work on workbooks by himself at home.  Gets nothing out of collaboration because there isn't any.  No socialization.  Nothing.  Yuck!

My son is emotionally very mature for his age, does well picking things up, writing, adjusting to new situations, etc.  He's a really neat kid.

I was thinking for out of school enrolling him in Scouts.  He has already completed a lot of robotics, tech, and STEM-related classes at the local universities offered to youths.  Scouts might offer him a different kind of learning.

If there is a community resources for gifted kids, I haven't found it.  I would love to find it though.  I would love for there to be one.

dmmetler, Thank you!  I am going to look into their family support.

My son is emotionally very mature for his age, does well picking things up, writing, adjusting to new situations, etc.  He's a really neat kid.

I was thinking for out of school enrolling him in Scouts.  He has already completed a lot of robotics, tech, and STEM-related classes at the local universities offered to youths.  Scouts might offer him a different kind of learning.

If there is a community resources for gifted kids, I haven't found it.  I would love to find it though.  I would love for there to be one.

dmmetler, Thank you!  I am going to look into their family support.

First bolded: sounds so much like mine!

Second bolded: Google Hoagies Gifted

It's the e-lists that is most helpful about DYS in my humble opinion. If you put in an application, it takes about a month to hear back. Meanwhile, you might find more support (apart from here, this board is honestly one of the best too) on the DYS public forum (no need to be a member to post):

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

Good luck. Mine did not take the Cogat so I cannot comment there. He only lasted 3 weeks in a b&m school. Even if you do not choose to homeschool now, do keep it in mind. You can always try a month-6 months and switch back to school if need be. I hope this current school continues to be a treasure for a while yet.

THank you!  I made a post in that group and they had a ton of resources-- especially key words that schools use to dismiss kids.  THings like that.  Lots of recommendations for meeting with the school and how to create a plan and advocate.  Thank you everyone!  I will look up hoagies gifted.  That's a funny name for a gifted resource. :)

Quark, how did homeschooling go for you?  Was it a rough adjustment especially with social needs?  So far this school is pretty great, but you never do know what next year will bring.  I think his current teacher is one of those once in a lifetime kind of teachers.

• Like 1

THank you!  I made a post in that group and they had a ton of resources-- especially key words that schools use to dismiss kids.  THings like that.  Lots of recommendations for meeting with the school and how to create a plan and advocate.  Thank you everyone!  I will look up hoagies gifted.  That's a funny name for a gifted resource. :)

Quark, how did homeschooling go for you?  Was it a rough adjustment especially with social needs?  So far this school is pretty great, but you never do know what next year will bring.  I think his current teacher is one of those once in a lifetime kind of teachers.

Hoagies is fantastic. It was started by a parent with PG kid(s).

We pulled DS out of a private kindy just shy of 5yo because he was starting to display signs of depression. Only 2 years later did he open up on the full extent of what he was feeling (social outcast, bullying teacher, kids not getting his ideas, his ability to read/ do math being way ahead so lots of boredom when asked to count number of squares on worksheet etc.). Initially all I did was use some Walmart workbooks and continue reading to him from classic literature. I did not know better. I did let him loose at the library (only book he was not allowed to read was Goosebumps).

Slowly, I found a homeschool coop program that gave him the social outlet he needed. Then I started adding lots  of living math books. Then we started our own small group homeschool meet ups (math and chemistry mostly). Then we started online classes at 8yo. He started community college at 11yo and taking classes at our state flagship. Today we discovered he was accepted to that state flagship and has been invited to interview for the scholarship/ honors cohort. He is 14.

It only started off rough because I was terrified and did not know what to do. But we figured it out together. There was pain and lots of adjustment but also lots of little successes. He is PG but not one of those extremely extroverted, obviously PG kids. People always mistook him for an older kid due to his maturity and height so he did not get any extra opportunities for sticking out and looking young. He had to work very hard. But I think he enjoyed working so hard due to the opportunities that homeschooling gave him. He could expend all that energy on meaningful things, not do-it-because-you-have-to things. It was only after he expressed a wish to graduate early that I helped him craft a plan to check the necessary boxes.

You will figure it out. And if does not work out, there will be other opportunities. With these kids you have to stay flexible and open minded. Take risks when you need to.

Good luck!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for all the help you gave me.  I thought it'd be nice to update everyone.  My son took a secondary set of tests (IOWA) and got top scores.  They'll be starting him in gifted learning next week.  They haven't yet met with us (I assume they will at some point?), but seems like everything is on track.  Yay!

• Like 3

So far this school is pretty great, but you never do know what next year will bring. 

Totally agree with this.  I don't like to the be the parent that makes waves, but there came a point where, after a couple of years of accommodation for DS1, they stopped, and i realized that I was being strung along by the principal in our old school.  Having had this same thing happen to me as a kid, I was always worried it might happen--I know that the scheduling this requires is difficult for a small school.  

So, yeah, evaluate year by year.  You might have one not-so-great year, but if you get into a second one, then explore other options.