Menu

How does this look for 7th and 8th grades?

This is what we have lined up for our two oldest kids. I'd love the feedback of other folks who have done these grades already. How does it look???

Boy #1 - 8th
Omnibus II
    History
    Literature/Writing
    Theology 
Science – BJU Earth Science or Apologia Physical Science
Math – Teaching Textbooks Pre algebra
Music â€“ Piano/Cello
Language â€“ German, DuoLingo
PE â€“ Baseball, spring and fall

Boy #2 - 7th
Omnibus II
    History
    Literature/Writing
    Theology 
Science â€“ BJU Life Science or Apologia General Science
Math â€“ Teaching Textbooks 7
Music â€“ Piano
PE â€“ Baseball, spring and fall

Does Omnibus contain enough instruction in grammar and composition? I'm not at all familiar with it, so I honestly don't know. 7th/8th grades are critical (at my house) for ensuring grammar knowledge is complete and writing skills are honed for the upcoming high school level work.

• Like 1

Silvermoon - you have a ND Wilson quote in your signature. He was my classmate in College; quite a fun guy!

The kids are all doing Ambleside this year, so they are used to lots of sturdy reading. As fourisenough brought up, though, I'm concerned about grammar & writing. Right now they are only doing "written narrations" as per Charlotte Mason. I want them to be able to do the essays in Omnibus, but they actually may not know how to do that. They've had some grammar along the way, but it is wobbly. I should probably add something to strengthen both of those issues. 

• Like 1

Silvermoon - you have a ND Wilson quote in your signature. He was my classmate in College; quite a fun guy!

The kids are all doing Ambleside this year, so they are used to lots of sturdy reading. As fourisenough brought up, though, I'm concerned about grammar & writing. Right now they are only doing "written narrations" as per Charlotte Mason. I want them to be able to do the essays in Omnibus, but they actually may not know how to do that. They've had some grammar along the way, but it is wobbly. I should probably add something to strengthen both of those issues.

Just a note if you haven't had experience with Omnibus yet: it's VERY challenging. Omnibus 2 could easily be at least 10th grade. The are multiple essays per book and no writing or grammar instruction. Reading assignments are long (15 chapters of Isaiah for one day's reading for example). The lectures can also be long - some over an hour- and quizzes are challenging! I'm not trying to talk you out of it. My gifted 7th grader is doing Omnibus 1 this year. We love how in-depth it is. But, he has had to really step up his game this year. Just wanted to to be aware so it isn't a shock. We weren't quite prepared since Ds is academically advanced. But it's a definite leap from everything else we've done.

Silvermoon - I'm looking over Lost Tools of Writing, trying to get a feel for it. Would it work to take essay assignments from the Omnibus, and use LTW to "hand hold" and walk the kiddo step by step through the process? Each kiddo working on their own topic? Or are the writing topics embedded in the LTW, and it is best to stay on their topic?

About how much time is needed for this course - assuming completion in one year?