Menu

Personality assessment question

shanezomom

A family member is in the middle of court hearings for child custody. The court-appointed counselor who assessed the parenting skills of the divorcing couple said he is recommending 50/50 custody because they are both capable parents. He also noted that their personalities are such that they probably never would have had a successful marriage because one has a narcissistic personality (score of 75) and the other has a paranoid personality. Which assessment tool measures those traits? What is a score of 75 on a narcissism scale? As an aside, if a psychologist can explain after the break up why their personalities are a toxic mix, why can't that same assessment be used as a tool before the marriage? 

Edited by shanezomom

A family member is in the middle of court hearings for child custody. The court-appointed counselor who assessed the parenting skills of the divorcing couple said he is recommending 50/50 custody because they are both capable parents. He also noted that their personalities are such that they probably never would have had a successful marriage because one has a narcissistic personality (score of 75) and the other has a paranoid personality. Which assessment tool measures those traits? What is a score of 75 on a narcissism scale? As an aside, if a psychologist can explain after the break up why their personalities are a toxic mix, why can't that same assessment be used as a tool before the marriage?

I have never heard of that. Sounds expensive. :)

I do believe pre marital counseling could help identify bad combos. But rare the couple who would actually break it off at that point.

There could have been several/many tests utilized. Typically a Personality test may reveal some tendencies.

People usually do not take these tests prior to marriage and prior to having problems.

Some of these tests are self-reports and / or structured interviews by clinicians.

Edited by Liz CA

A priest I know said that premarital counseling was the most frustrating part of his occupation. "You're trying to instruct people about the most important decision they'll ever make at the most unteachable moment of their lives."

There are multiple inventories/surveys/brief assessments out there that are less about Narcissistic Personality Disorder and more about narcissistic personality traits.  I'm more interested in why someone would consider a couple's marriage inevitably doomed while also saying they're great for 50/50 parenting based the same scale.

My ex has MAJOR narcissistic traits. I doubt he's full NPD, but co-parenting has been hell for nearly 17 years. We've never done 50/50, but we've each had primary at different points and it hasn't mattered which one it was.  50/50 likely would have had someone in jail at some point!

FWIW, there is such thing as healthy narcissism.  My guess is that they used a scale of 100, with 50 being "normal".

• Like 1