Menu

The Guy LA Calls for Foster Children Who May Not Make It

umsami

For the record, I don't think I could do this. I'd like to think I could...but nope...probably not.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-foster-father-sick-children-2017-story.html

"“If anyone ever calls us and says, ‘This kid needs to go home on hospice,’ there’s only one name we think of,†said Melissa Testerman, a DCFS intake coordinator who finds placements for sick children. “He’s the only one that would take a child who would possibly not make it.â€

Typically, she said, children with complex conditions are placed in medical facilities or with nurses who have opted to become foster parents. 

But Bzeek is the only foster parent in the county known to take in terminally ill children, Yousef said. Though she knows the single father is stretched thin caring for the girl, who requires around-the-clock care, Yousef still approached him at a department Christmas party in December and asked if he could possibly take in another sick child."

Edited to try and fix font and title. 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 8

What a beautiful story. Having had a child who had a trach, feeding tube and was very medically-fragile and needed in-home nursing care for 3 years, this hits especially close to home. (Said child still has feeding tube, but is doing well now.) What he's doing is a wonderful thing but so very hard.

Yes, a wonderful thing!

Our medically fragile child, adopted from foster care, passed away last spring. He lived for 7 years.

I could never do it again, the toll of caring 24/7 was too much for the rest of the family.

• Like 1

I had thought about doing that in the past but I decided it would be way too hard on my kids. :crying:

His passing wasn't what was too hard though (although of course very sad for everyone), it was the 7 years of 24/7 medical care & us not being able to do typical family things like camping, park days, beach, or even playing out in the yard without doing cartwheels to find a nurse to stay at home those days.

• Like 4

His passing wasn't what was too hard though (although of course very sad for everyone), it was the 7 years of 24/7 medical care & us not being able to do typical family things like camping, park days, beach, or even playing out in the yard without doing cartwheels to find a nurse to stay at home those days.

Aww. I'm sorry. 

• Like 2

We did it the 24x7 thing for three years (and continue to do it to a lesser degree as DS' health issues have somewhat stabilized) and it is indeed exhausting no matter how much you love the child. 

• Like 2