Menu

I am calling it, "Solve Your Own Problem" Day

Amber in SJ

"Mom, I know I'm not on the curling team and actually don't even like curling, but I overheard my teacher talking to some of the kids and they don't have enough drivers. Do you think we should offer (to drive them 1/2 hour out of our way one way, leaving them with no ride 45 minutes back)?"

"Honey, that's very thoughtful of you, but I think they can figure this one out."

Hooray for Solve Your Own Problem Day (expanding soon into monthly and yearly programs!)

• Like 13

I have had it.  I am declaring it "Solve Your Own Problem Day."  

That sounds unusual, Amber, how do you celebrate Solve Your Own Problem Day?  Good question.

Let me tell you all about it.  When someone comes to you with a problem they want you to solve you say,  "I am so sorry, I can't today because it is Solve Your Own Problem Day."  Of course this must be said with a completely straight face.  

Let's practice;

"Mom!  I can't find a pencil!"  "Sorry, son.  It's Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"I have to wear something red to rehearsal tonight and my red shirt is dirty."  "I hope you figure that out, dear daughter, it is Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"Honey, I forgot I am supposed to bring dessert to the work BBQ today."  "I know you will find something great at the store, darling.  I  It is Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"Mom!  I'm hungry!"  "It is a good thing we have a kitchen full of food just waiting to be prepared by you; tools for Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"I can't find the worksheet/ instructions/ math DVD that I used yesterday!"  "Solve Your Own Problem Day!"

After each of these traditional call & response exchanges you should return to whatever relaxing activity you were involved in with the refreshment of your choice.  

If someone asks what is going on say, "I am tired/ weary/ exhausted and it is Solve Your Own Problem Day, so I am having a nap/ bubble bath/beach day."

Happy Solve Your Own Problem Day

Amber in SJ

Coming Soon:  How Solve Your Own Problem Day Can be Repackaged as Life Studies.  and  How to Celebrate Solve Your Own Problem Day When You Live With a Dramatic Tween/ Teen.

This would make a great drinking game.

• Like 12

We've had a variation at our house that sounds like, "You will have to figure it out together" day.

One of my favorite moments:   "Aw, shucks.   You just spent an HOUR arguing with each other about which movie to watch?   Now we no longer have time to watch anything.   Maybe next time you can decide a bit sooner."

• Like 5

I like that phrase but I think it should be a daily thing.

I don't mind helping find something for my young DC, but they should at least pretend to look for it first. Even DH has an annoying habit of just asking me first where X is instead of using his own eyes and feet to figure it out.

• Like 1

Love this! And how about a "find it yourself" day that I can also use on my husband?

"Sweetie, where's my coffee mug?" Find it yourself.

"Mama, where's my gray hoodie?" Find it yourself.

"Sweetie, where's the hammer?" Find it yourself.

Problem is, I couldn't say it with a straight face. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

My standard answer for these is: If it was put away where it belongs, then it should be there. If it wasn't, then I can't (WON'T) help you.

• Like 4

I have had it.  I am declaring it "Solve Your Own Problem Day."  

That sounds unusual, Amber, how do you celebrate Solve Your Own Problem Day?  Good question.

Let me tell you all about it.  When someone comes to you with a problem they want you to solve you say,  "I am so sorry, I can't today because it is Solve Your Own Problem Day."  Of course this must be said with a completely straight face.  

Let's practice;

"Mom!  I can't find a pencil!"  "Sorry, son.  It's Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"I have to wear something red to rehearsal tonight and my red shirt is dirty."  "I hope you figure that out, dear daughter, it is Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"Honey, I forgot I am supposed to bring dessert to the work BBQ today."  "I know you will find something great at the store, darling.  I  It is Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"Mom!  I'm hungry!"  "It is a good thing we have a kitchen full of food just waiting to be prepared by you; tools for Solve Your Own Problem Day."

"I can't find the worksheet/ instructions/ math DVD that I used yesterday!"  "Solve Your Own Problem Day!"

After each of these traditional call & response exchanges you should return to whatever relaxing activity you were involved in with the refreshment of your choice.  

If someone asks what is going on say, "I am tired/ weary/ exhausted and it is Solve Your Own Problem Day, so I am having a nap/ bubble bath/beach day."

Happy Solve Your Own Problem Day

Amber in SJ

Coming Soon:  How Solve Your Own Problem Day Can be Repackaged as Life Studies.  and  How to Celebrate Solve Your Own Problem Day When You Live With a Dramatic Tween/ Teen.

I heartily applaud!   :hurray:  :hurray:

Now DD15 wants to tell this very thing to her math.  I don't think so.  It is YOUR math, dear!

• Like 2

One thing I do to celebrate Solve Your Own Problem Day with my overly dramatic tween/ teens is to play the traditional Three Things game.

To play:  

Player #1 loudly enunciates their problem.  Use of wild hyperbole, irritating vocal tones & tears are optional

Player # 2 says "What are three ways you can deal with this problem right now?"  A calm demeanor and tone, get extra points.

Player #1 now has to figure out 3 ways to deal with their problem.  Player #2 can help if Player #1 is inexperienced at independent problem solving.  Silly solutions can help here too.

Player #2 says "Ok, pick which one will work best for you."

Example of a round:

Player #1 is taking a Math class at the local community college & calls player #2 at home to shriek, "I forgot my calculator and my test is in 20 minutes.  I am going to fail!  I hate this class!  It is so stupid!  I studied so hard for nothing!"

Player #2:  "What are 3 ways you can deal with this problem?"

Player #1:  "What?  I don't know!  I can't do anything.  I am going to fail!"

Player #2:  "Three things, Honey."

Player #1:  "OK.  I could come home & get my calculator and be late for class.  Or I could go to the bookstore & buy a new calculator.  Or Madison (friend) had the class before lunch so maybe I could borrow her calculator or maybe the teacher has one."  

Player #2:  "Choose one & let me know how it goes."  

Some problems are not solvable by the 3 things game, but most are. 

Amber in SJ

• Like 8

One thing I do to celebrate Solve Your Own Problem Day with my overly dramatic tween/ teens is to play the traditional Three Things game.

To play:  

Player #1 loudly enunciates their problem.  Use of wild hyperbole, irritating vocal tones & tears are optional

Player # 2 says "What are three ways you can deal with this problem right now?"  A calm demeanor and tone, get extra points.

Player #1 now has to figure out 3 ways to deal with their problem.  Player #2 can help if Player #1 is inexperienced at independent problem solving.  Silly solutions can help here too.

Player #2 says "Ok, pick which one will work best for you."

Example of a round:

Player #1 is taking a Math class at the local community college & calls player #2 at home to shriek, "I forgot my calculator and my test is in 20 minutes.  I am going to fail!  I hate this class!  It is so stupid!  I studied so hard for nothing!"

Player #2:  "What are 3 ways you can deal with this problem?"

Player #1:  "What?  I don't know!  I can't do anything.  I am going to fail!"

Player #2:  "Three things, Honey."

Player #1:  "OK.  I could come home & get my calculator and be late for class.  Or I could go to the bookstore & buy a new calculator.  Or Madison (friend) had the class before lunch so maybe I could borrow her calculator or maybe the teacher has one."  

Player #2:  "Choose one & let me know how it goes."  

Some problems are not solvable by the 3 things game, but most are. 

Amber in SJ

That is brilliant, thank you! What do you do when the drama is so intense that they won't/can't come up with three things? I love hearing tactics like this, but I always think back to when my kids were little and I used the advice to give them a choice between two options, with the idea being that narrowing down the choices would help them feel less overwhelmed and more empowered. But when offered two choices, my worn down kids' responses were always something like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" :lol: 

• Like 2

Thanks, Amber (do you have my oldest in your house--that scenario could have absolutely happened that way here?).  I do (when calm) ask what he thinks can be done--but I love the 3 things and chose one part.  I will add it to my arsenal.

Now, my third (he of the most unpleasant vocal chords). . . . well, I came up from exercising and asked him why the dishes weren't loaded.  He said, "Oh, it's solve your own problem day and I solved my having to load the dishes problem by deciding not to do it." mmmmmmm  (I solved that problem by telling him that boys who don't do their chores don't get screen time, but oh, brother!) 

• Like 3

Sounds like you are the only one in your family that has magic eyes. I am the only one in my family with such eyes. Magic eyes are eyes that actually can look for and see things that the eyes are suppose to be looking for.

:lol:

My 11 year old DS is already aware that he has "man eyes". He'll look for something right in front of his face and not see it, so he'll ask me. When I point it out to him, he'll mention "oh, I must've been looking with my man eyes again".