Menu

Do you have a case of the Februaries?

cintinative

Do you have the Februaries?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any of the following symptoms?

• Self-doubt relating to curriculum or book choices
    • Excessive box checking
    • Delusions of homeschool budget grandeur
    • Desire to escape reality
    • Fatigue
    • Excess chocolate consumption
    • Excess coffee consumption
    • Unusually grand ideas
    • Desire to stop this year's curriculum and begin next year's instead
    • Excessive browsing on Rainbow Resource, Amazon, etc.
    • Excessive whining
    • Excessive time creating polls like this one
    • Bloating/Water retention

Just for fun!

Do you have the Februaries? Take the poll to find out.

Answer one question yes and you likely have a case of the Februaries.

Answer two questions yes and you definitely have the Februaries.

Answer three or more questions yes and you have a severe case of the Februaries. What is the treatment for that again?? :lol:

Edited by cintinative

I was only able to check one option, but I've definitely got a case of the Februaries. DS just finished his science textbook and asked me what he should do next. I've got a bunch of options on my shelf but I can't bring myself to pick something. I'm very tempted to head over to the used bookstore and check out their selection but I need to spend more $$$ on schoolbooks like I need a hole in my head :lol:

• Like 1

Our kids are grown so my case of Februaries isn't homeschool related.  But I found myself last night planning what flowers and veggies I'm going to plant this year.  I had multiple tabs open on my browser and was quite engrossed in it.  Our last frost is more than two months away so it's quite premature planning. But still...February....ugh. 

• Like 1

Same as the others with only being able to click one, but I've always had a case of the Februaries.  We know how to cure it.  We travel - many times for the whole month.  It makes February so much better and by the time we return home, spring is looming.

This year we've had to modify our trip to leave later and I most definitely feel cheated - knowing that today, Feb 7th, many other years we'd be elsewhere.  Fortunately today got up in the 60s, so it didn't feel too bad being outside, but 70s and green and palm trees and water will be considerably better (soon)!

• Like 1

It is the 11th day of the Chinese New Year so definately excessive consumption of soda, junk food and chocolates.

Excessive coffee is year round, had been a coffee addict since I was in 7th grade.

The fatigue is due to income tax efiling and has nothing to do with homeschooling. I still need my husband's stocks tax form to be in and then I can efile.

Yes, and it took two days of Feb. before I realized the problem was February.  When the guy came to do something to our water meter in the basement thanks to the new construction across the road, I realized that I was wearing my pyjama tshirt, my pyjama pants, an athletic top I had put on for a second layer (under winter coat) that morning to walk the dog and my fleece lined jogging pants that I had also put on to walk the dog.  No bra.  It was 2:30 in the afternoon.  

I was wondering why I felt so miserable and then realized that I was unable to perform simple self care like taking off the layers after walking the dog and putting on real clothes.  Then I realized it was February.  Then it all made sense.

I've been trying really hard since then to get up, walk the dog, exercise, have a shower and get dressed in real clothes since then.

It's still February though.  The kids have noticed the excessive crankiness and need for chocolate.

We are taking the next two weeks 'off' to work on all the craft kits and science kits that pile up and never get done.

• Like 3

I must have a super extra severe case, because I checked like eight of them. :P February in Minnesota is always kind of depressing even if you aren't home every day, though. Freezing cold and gray and blah. I think I have winter fatigue more than homeschooling fatigue.

• Like 2

My case of the Februaries is exacerbated by the fact that February 4th is my mom's birthday (she would have been 70 this year) and last year on February 14th she passed away unexpectedly from cancer.  Since her birthday I have been playing in my head what I was doing last year.  

Every February I have to be extra gentle with myself because I find myself with what we call "The Uggs." (not related to the shoes)  Where all the things that normally give me joy (cooking, family, homeschooling...) now feel like burdens.  (Didn't I just feed you guys yesterday?)

Knowing this February was going to be particularly bad, I decided to prepare.  I filled my freezer with meals that only need to be thawed & cooked/ reheated.  My last two at home are 12 & 14.   They are fully capable of dumping the contents of a freezer bag into a 9X13 pan or into the crockpot.  They can also make sandwiches on store bought bread for a month.   They can eat whatever they can forage for in the kitchen for lunch. I saved several Amazon gift cards and kindle books from my favorite authors for this month.  

I plan the month of homeschooling to be open & go, or do the next thing style homeschooling, you might even call it a little bit of unschooling.  We focus heavily on reading, science kits, and other fun for them/ hands off for me schoolwork.  For geography we watch a season of Amazing Race on Hulu.  Each season has 10-13 episodes.  At the beginning we print out a blank world map and then after each episode they go online to find a map of the country visited.  I ask them to write a mini report on the country with vital statistics like population, languages, religions, etc.  Is it comprehensive?  No.  Is it interesting?  Yes.  For language arts I planned a month of exploring the genre of musicals.....yep, musicals.  I found a PPT on the conventions of musicals as a genre.  Between Hulu, Netflix & Amazon they can watch a couple musicals each week and fill out venn diagrams comparing characters, fill out a plot diagram, compare classic disney animated "musicals" with more recent ones and so on.  The point is everyone gets to loll on the couch & watch happy movies & call it school.  Although my son did a venn diagram where he called Dolly Levi a shifty Mary Poppins & my daughter decided the main theme of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is Stockholm Syndrome, so I don't know if they are learning anything.  

I also have a post-it stuck to my bathroom mirror that is just for February.  It says;  Did you make your bed?  Pray/ Meditate?  Get dressed?  Brush your teeth?  Drink a glass of water?  Take a 5 minute walk or stretch? Do one thing to serve your family?  If I can answer yes to those 7 things I give myself permission to not accomplish anything else for the rest of the day.  Each one of those things only takes a couple minutes, but then I can be done with the day if I feel overwhelmed. For the record I consider throwing in a load of laundry or cutting up every veggie in the drawer so it can be eaten with greek yogurt dip to be acts of service for my family.   

I have homeschooled for 15+ years through years of chronic health issues, high-risk pregnancies & Februaries that come every year.  Some years are not too bad & I don't need all the preparation and some years I do.  You just have to be gentle with yourself and know that your kids will be OK if February is a "homeschool-lite"

month.

Amber in SJ

• Like 7

I did last month. January was really tough.

This month is better. The light is returning, we have better snow, and I'm getting more exercise.

And I've finally realized the high school doesn't really care what we cover this year, so the weird self inflicted pressure to make this year something it isn't is off my shoulders. Apparently it had been a heavy weight.

• Like 4

You'd think a near 70 degree day would help, but no. It's a cursed month. That's why the Romans robbed it of days.

We have, on occasion, used the "Poor February, it gets shorted days" excuse to extend the month - helping it feel better and like it belonged.  We only do this when traveling, of course, and can opt to return "Feb 38th" instead of 28th.  ;)  Considering how many years it's been shorted, we need to make up for more than 2 or 3 days to help out.

I'll also admit we've pondered how we can add days at the beginning of the month too at times ("Feb -5th???"), but usually January isn't that tough on us mentally.  It's more of a relaxation month after the Christmas holidays.

• Like 2

My Februaries started last month as well.  I have just noticed in the last five years that February is the longest short month of the year.  LOL. It feels like 280 days not 28. 

That symptom goes away entirely when one can travel for at least a significant part of the month.   :coolgleamA:   Feb jumps from my least favorite month to my most favorite - and even Dec/Jan take on a new light just knowing the trip is coming up.

Talk about de-stressing!  Something like this should be covered under preemptive health care - at least for those of us who love traveling.

• Like 2

This February is different. The "baby" is in 12th grade, so no curriculum changes or planning at this point.

What I'm wondering is if we'll actually finish physics before she has the local graduation ceremony. We're having serious problems getting the labs done because of scheduling issues. Her local lit/history/writing class ends at the end of April, and her duties as an AP teaching assistant end after the exam in May. So we might make it by the beginning of June.

I guess it won't be a disaster if it happens though. Her brother hadn't finished one class with me when he walked because his dual enrollment classes were so intense. He finally officially finished in early July because I set a deadline of getting it done before we went on a trip.

I can't vote since there's no "none of the above" option.

I used to get the Februaries every year.  Now I avoid them by starting my planning for the next school year in February.  Added bonus, it means I am done planning by March and usually even done pre-reading by the end of May which means all summer I don't even have to think about school so I get a long break right along with my kids.

• Like 2

I didn't have them yesterday or today, but ask me again tomorrow.

Yesterday got to almost 70 degrees and today is in the mid-50's.  This is unheard of.  I mean, 50 degrees or more in February is crazy talk around here!

By tomorrow we're supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow, which is the norm for February.

So, I'll probably have the Februaries tomorrow.

• Like 3

I am having them even though I no longer homeschool. Last year around this time we were on a vacation so that was fun.  We may go on a weekend trip not this weekend but the following. I just have the itch to travel even though I know we will be traveling a lot this year and I had an longer than one week vacation in Dec. 

• Like 1

We'e long past homeschooling but during our homeschool years I always heard about the February slump and never understood it. It never really happened to us. I suspect it's because here February is one of the best months to be outdoors. We often did nature hikes (alone or with hs friends) and other outdoor activities. The ability to go outside and not melt always motivated me, so I often had the opposite of The Februaries.

I've often wondered if those of us in northern climates get The Februaries due to our stored Vitamin D getting really low.  (Serious thought, but just a thought - no data or studies.)  I know we honestly feel significantly better when we travel - south.

That's possible. See my post above. Here in my warm climate I never got them (which isn't to say no one in southern/warm climates gets the Februaries). 

• Like 2

We'e long past homeschooling but during our homeschool years I always heard about the February slump and never understood it. It never really happened to us. I suspect it's because here February is one of the best months to be outdoors. We often did nature hikes (alone or with hs friends) and other outdoor activities. The ability to go outside and not melt always motivated me, so I often had the opposite of The Februaries.

That's possible. See my post above. Here in my warm climate I never got them (which isn't to say no one in southern/warm climates gets the Februaries). 

I loved Feb when we lived in FL.  It was August that was oppressive (not homeschooling at that time).  We traveled north and felt much better!

• Like 1

I've often wondered if those of us in northern climates get The Februaries due to our stored Vitamin D getting really low. (Serious thought, but just a thought - no data or studies.) I know we honestly feel significantly better when we travel - south.

We were forced to go to Florida in February one year. Not only did we have to miss out on an awesome blizzard back home, but I fell into a serious funk after returning--I honestly felt that I'd overdosed on vitamin D down there and my body when into shock when we returned to the darkness. It took me until spring to recover. Never again!

I hate leaving home in winter. It's so beautiful here and by midwinter we usually have lots of terrific snow for all our fun sports. Leaving now for vacation means missing out on one of the best times of the year!

• Like 1

I'm actually doing better this month. It was last month that was horrible. We are also taking our family vacation next week, so that's gonna help :)

This year, I changed to mostly online schooling. Last year was such a beast and I felt like I couldn't take a minute to breath. This year is so much better.

• Like 1

We were forced to go to Florida in February one year. Not only did we have to miss out on an awesome blizzard back home, but I fell into a serious funk after returning--I honestly felt that I'd overdosed on vitamin D down there and my body when into shock when we returned to the darkness. It took me until spring to recover. Never again!

I hate leaving home in winter. It's so beautiful here and by midwinter we usually have lots of terrific snow for all our fun sports. Leaving now for vacation means missing out on one of the best times of the year!

It's definitely good for our country/planet that we (general) tend to have different personalities.  It keeps things running everywhere.

I'll admit though, when we spent Feb in the Bahamas a couple of years ago I seriously wondered if Canada had anyone left in their country...  Apparently there are quite a few of us who need a recharge.

• Like 1

We were in Florida for two weeks last February.   It helped a lot.  I know I"m Vitamin D deficient.  

Yesterday was a nice balmy 50-something degrees. Tonight we're getting a foot of snow.  I'm not too upset because I think it will be the perfect excuse for a day off - Snow Day!!

• Like 2

It's definitely good for our country/planet that we (general) tend to have different personalities. It keeps things running everywhere.

I'll admit though, when we spent Feb in the Bahamas a couple of years ago I seriously wondered if Canada had anyone left in their country... Apparently there are quite a few of us who need a recharge.

Oh for sure. Spring around here is the season to avoid. April-June I could easily spend somewhere else. :)

• Like 1

I was just noticing how ODD it is that don't have the Februaries AT ALL this year!

I attribute it to two or maybe three things:

1.)Long, long, looooooooooong winter break.

2.)The shiny has worn off my caboose baby. He's nine now and I have had plenty of time to accept the fact that it isn't 1998 any more and I am still not nor will I ever be one of the "cool kids" and the only person who really cares about what I have learned from homeschooling his siblings is myself.

3.) I have already bought all the things.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I am in georgia, and we've had the mildest winter I can remember. Yesterday was 70, and that's been pretty normal this year. It helps a lot.

I hate August, though. It's such a miserable month. People always ask why we start school with the public school calendar the first week or two of August. Um, why not? It's such a miserable time of year that I don't think know school could make it any worse. And maybe improve it.

• Like 2

I was only able to check one option, but I've definitely got a case of the Februaries. DS just finished his science textbook and asked me what he should do next. I've got a bunch of options on my shelf but I can't bring myself to pick something. I'm very tempted to head over to the used bookstore and check out their selection but I need to spend more $$$ on schoolbooks like I need a hole in my head :lol:

I have a bunch of middle school Science Explorer books you can have if you want them.

I love finding something that seems New!  and Shiny!  but it's cheap or free...

• Like 1

You'd think a near 70 degree day would help, but no. It's a cursed month. That's why the Romans robbed it of days.

Ha! Truth! The only upside to our 70-degree odd weather was that I got my chicken coop cleaned out and freshly bedded.

But no, I have a severe case of the Februaries, as I recently confessed. I am doing critical self-care ATM with a pint of Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy Chocolate Fudge Brownie. And for History today, DS watched a video on the seven wonders of the ancient world while I inadvertantly napped in the beanbag chair.

• Like 4

I chose "desire to escape reality" because this is my last year of homeschooling and my last year of having kids at home full time.

I thought I was ready for this chapter of my life to end in a few months, but Monday, as I made brownies for orchestra, I had a meltdown. Crying that many tears while making brownies can change the ratio of wet : dry ingredients. This child won't be here next year to watch the Super Bowl w/ us. There will be no need to make brownies for orchestra. I won't need to print all the name tags for parents, students, community judges, and all the tents, and all the participation certificates for the home debate tournament. He will go off, as he should, to a new adventure, and we will have a huge void in our hearts and in our home. And I have just gotten used to our firstborn's being off at college. 

Reality is setting in, and I don't like it.  :(

Heaven help me.

• Like 2