Menu

Best reading apps

I've tried Reading Eggs and Teach your monster to read and found them just meh. Any other really good ones? In particular, we use the Spalding method, and I really like how it teaches all the sounds for each phonogram (instead of just teaching one sound at a time and then having to add on to that later). But (forgive me for saying it...) the Spalding app is B.O.R.I.N.G.

Edited by deanna1ynne

My daughter and son love Teach Your Monster to Read. The iPad app is $5 and the computer version is free. I am not sure about Spalding friendly, but it does teach phonograms. My son is 3 and he is on the first level which does letter sounds. It doesn't teach names, just the sounds of the letters. My daughter is 5 and on the lest level and it works on alternate spelling of long-vowel sounds (ea, ay, etc.) r-controlled vowels, and other vowel sounds (oy, oo, etc.). It has really motivated my daughter to read and it is an excellent game. They are constantly learning and there's no way to do something mindless like other games. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know any that are great. My kids have liked teach your monster to read but I don't think any of them got anything out of it. The program keeps progressing despite wrong answers so the kids can just keep guessing until they get it right. My 4 year old who only knows half his letter sounds just finished level 3 lol. As far as digital things go, we have gotten the most from the leap frog videos. (Excluding ElizabethB's phonics videos, which are awesome but not the same category obviously)

There is the Homer app. It is crazy mega expensive, $80/year. It has a better phonics development and cute opportunities to record yourself reading, but there are also some areas for drawing and other non reading things which I don't like. If you do decide to do the 30 day trial, be sure to mark your calendar to cancel it at least 48 hours before it auto-subscribes you... Ask me how I know :-p

I don't know any that are great. My kids have liked teach your monster to read but I don't think any of them got anything out of it. The program keeps progressing despite wrong answers so the kids can just keep guessing until they get it right. My 4 year old who only knows half his letter sounds just finished level 3 lol. As far as digital things go, we have gotten the most from the leap frog videos. (Excluding ElizabethB's phonics videos, which are awesome but not the same category obviously)

There is the Homer app. It is crazy mega expensive, $80/year. It has a better phonics development and cute opportunities to record yourself reading, but there are also some areas for drawing and other non reading things which I don't like. If you do decide to do the 30 day trial, be sure to mark your calendar to cancel it at least 48 hours before it auto-subscribes you... Ask me how I know :-p

you can reset the level yourself on teach your monster to read. You have to do it from the computer though. I don't know any game that doesn't show the right answer eventually and an iPad can't really tell when a kid is guessing. I am surprised that he guessed his entire way through though. Especially with the fill in the words and such. I've never really paid attention to what it does if you get too many wrong answers. DD uses it for phonics review and she's on level 3, but since it's review she does well and I've never seen what the game does if you keep getting it wrong.

you can reset the level yourself on teach your monster to read. You have to do it from the computer though. I don't know any game that doesn't show the right answer eventually and an iPad can't really tell when a kid is guessing. I am surprised that he guessed his entire way through though. Especially with the fill in the words and such. I've never really paid attention to what it does if you get too many wrong answers. DD uses it for phonics review and she's on level 3, but since it's review she does well and I've never seen what the game does if you keep getting it wrong.

Oh he has been reset a couple times. I am not too worried. You don't need to reset the ipad app level from the computer. They have a parent screen too.

My older kids guessed their way through too before they were strong readers. Usually there are only three choices so it doesn't take long to click them all. I wish the program would keep kids on the same topic until first press is correct 80% of the time but that doesn't happen.