Menu

Anyone done Family Tree DNA?

Kathryn

These kits are not precise for ethnicity or oeigin. None of them. A set of identical triplets did them. Yes, they're identical. The ethnicity and ancestral countries varied widely.

That was after the same tests said they're identical.

These kits are not precise for ethnicity or oeigin. None of them. A set of identical triplets did them. Yes, they're identical. The ethnicity and ancestral countries varied widely.

That was after the same tests said they're identical.

Link? Do you mean the same testing service gave different ethnicity results or did they test with different services?

I found this:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-US&oe=utf-8&safe=images&client=ms-android-att-us&q=identical+triplets+dna+ethnicity&qsubts=1498852581053&source=browser-type&devloc=0

My guess as to what happened is that, in any of these tests, a small percentage of the SNPS tested will be no-calls; that is, they didn't get a result for that particular SNP on a given person's test. The DNA chip reading process just is not 100% accurate. The ethnicity calculations are based on particular sequences/combinations of SNPS being more common in particular regions; if triplet 1 had all the SNPS read in a particular sequence it could mark that segment as being a particular ethnicity, but if one of those SNPS was a no-call on triplet 2's chip the sequence is interrupted so doesn't get interpreted the same way in the ethnicity results.

The system wouldn't need 100% of the SNPS to match to recognize identical genomes--a 99% or even 90% match would obviously be identical so no-calls wouldn't impact that.

DNA ethnicity estimates are definitely not an exact science.

Edited by maize

One possibility for unexpected results is undocumented adoption--adoptions have always happened but in the past were frequently kept secret.

We are in the process of getting Ancestry DNA done so we can determine a match with my mom's birth family. Not all of her birth family were told that she exists, so there is some hesitation.  Supposedly this will match us with the birth family since multiple of them have had the DNA testing done.

• Like 1

Since I originally posted this, I've had myself, my husband, all four of our parents, and our three living grandparents done at 23andme and Ancestry. 23andme had been pretty spot-on in all of our cases with ethnicity according to paper trails. And between 23andme, Ancestry, and uploading results to familytreedna, gedmatch, and myheritage, I've been able to connect to many relatives, acquiring family photos I never dreamed existed, and solved quite a few dead end in my paper trail. This includes figuring out who my FIL's completely unknown great-grandfather was. His grandfather was born in 1884 to a single mom and given her last name. There was absolutely nothing to go on. But through triangulating over two dozen DNA matches, I was able to figure it out!

• Like 3

Wow, that is so exciting!!!

I'm trying to solve a similar brick wall problem, we have been trying to identify my grandmother's grandfather. I've also got multiple tests up on every genealogy site out there. This one is a bit tricky because the grandfather was from Sweden and not many Swedes have tested yet but I'm hoping for more soon (I believe that Ancestry.com at least is actively advertising their DNA service in Sweden)

Edited by maize

Wow, that is so exciting!!!

I'm trying to solve a similar brick wall problem, we have been trying to identify my grandmother's grandfather. I've also got multiple tests up on every genealogy site out there. This one is a bit tricky because the grandfather was from Sweden and not many Swedes have tested yet but I'm hoping for more soon (I believe that Ancestry.com at least is actively advertising their DNA service in Sweden)

Newer immigrants are tricky! My dad's paternal grandparents were from Ukraine and his maternal grandfather's parents were German immigrants. So, he has far, far fewer matches compared to my mom or my husband's parents. And he has about 2% Ashkenazi Jewish (which was unexpected), so the Jewish matches crowd out his other matches with falsely high relatedness since it's an endogomous community.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also found birth parents for two adoptees working off of our shared matches. One turned out to be my MIL's second cousin and one my FIL's third cousin.

• Like 2

Newer immigrants are tricky! My dad's paternal grandparents were from Ukraine and his maternal grandfather's parents were German immigrants. So, he has far, far fewer matches compared to my mom or my husband's parents. And he has about 2% Ashkenazi Jewish (which was unexpected), so the Jewish matches crowd out his other matches with falsely high relatedness since it's an endogomous community.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also found birth parents for two adoptees working off of our shared matches. One turned out to be my MIL's second cousin and one my FIL's third cousin.

I've struggled with tracking and organizing match data; did you find a good way to do this?

• Like 1

Yes, I have done Ancestry.com and 23andMe.

23andMe

97.7% Northwestern European

63% British/Irish

25% non-distinct European

8% French&German

1.6% Scandinavian

0.1% Sub-saharan Africa (I have to put that in there because it tickles me.  I grew up in Sub-Saharan Africa and I joke that a smidge must have soaked in!)

Ancestry.com

96% European

Western Europe 35%

Ireland 30%

Great Britain 21%

Scandinavian 4%

There is some variation, but not a whole lot.

Ancestry.com

• Like 2

Link? Do you mean the same testing service gave different ethnicity results or did they test with different services?

this is the first time I've been near a computer.   and reliable internet.  for the better part of  a week.

same test.  some show.  couldn't tell you which - as I don't watch these - it came across as an ad for something I was reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for you PrincessMommy.

I can report back on our experience with Ancestry DNA with an adoption. I can't remember what I posted on here. My mom is adopted and I found what we believed to be my mom's birth family via Ancestry. The birth brother wanted DNA confirmation that my mom was their sister (he was never told that my mom existed).  So my mom and I both did the Ancestry DNA kit. My mom's birth brother, sister, and niece (brother's daughter) had all done it previously, so the thought was that when we did it the results would show that my mom was their (brother and sister's) sibling and I would show as a cousin.  Pretty much that is how it came out. It showed my mom as a "close relative" which is the designation they appear to use for parents and siblings (my mom was listed as a "close relative" to me).  It showed me as a possible 1st cousin to my birth cousin, and the same sort of degree of relation with my birth aunt and birth uncle.

As for the DNA results as far as ancestry (country of origin), I can't comment to the accuracy on those yet. I am literally just these past two weeks tracing our line back to the first immigrants and can't seem to get farther back at the moment.  

• Like 1