Menu

s/o cross country move...ABF Upack price

Cottonwood

Out of curiosity I went to the site and requested a quote plugging in zip codes to/from and whether we would pack or need helpers.  I chose that we'd do all the packing and unpacking.  The quote came to $7900?!  Does that sound right to you ladies who've used ABF? That is WAY more than I was ever expecting...

It depends on how much stuff you have.   

IIRC, our coast-to-coast move in 2007 cost about $10,000.  We moved a LOT of stuff.  I think we used more than one trailer.  Not two full trailers, but one and part of one.  So, it's hard to know if that quote is high or not.   

If you look at quotes from moving companies for moving cross-country, it's probably going to be 10k-15k, though.  One way to drop the ABF cost is to load your belongings in another truck/van and take them to an ABF depot to load onto the trailer.  If you do the same at the other end (pick up your stuff at another ABF depot), that lowers the price more...you'll have to call them to get the lower depot to depot price.

• Like 1

If it's a cross-country move, that sounds about right. I think I paid about $4500 for a 28' trailer going ~1400 miles, a couple of years ago. That was about half what it would have cost with a regular moving service. I also sent a smaller shipment with PODs a few months before the major move.

I liked ABF better than PODs, for several reasons: the stuff I shipped in a POD got damaged because the way they loaded the POD on the truck shook it up; ABF customer service was more helpful than PODs; ABF ended up being cheaper per cubic foot.

• Like 1

We moved a little over 1,000 miles with ABF and paid about $4500 for two trailers.  That was 2010, so I would guess prices may have gone up.  The price of gas must factor in and that is significantly higher now.  At the time, I compared it with U-Haul and it was only slightly more when I factored in paying for gas and tolls, not to mention finding enough people to drive two trucks and two cars.

• Like 1

If it's a cross-country move, that sounds about right. I think I paid about $4500 for a 28' trailer going ~1400 miles, a couple of years ago. That was about half what it would have cost with a regular moving service. I also sent a smaller shipment with PODs a few months before the major move.

I liked ABF better than PODs, for several reasons: the stuff I shipped in a POD got damaged because the way they loaded the POD on the truck shook it up; ABF customer service was more helpful than PODs; ABF ended up being cheaper per cubic foot.

I agree- our experience was similar. We moved almost 6 years ago, oved 1000 miles and needed a 28ft trailer - we needed them to store it for 2 weeks so it was around $4000.

• Like 1