Menu

List of theatrical performances organized by date of setting?

I'm trying to put together a course that combines history and theater.  The problem is that I'm only finding theatrical performances listed by date published.  I want to find the dates of their settings in order to place the events within the historical perspective. To clarify, I'm looking for a list of settings of plays and musicals, not movies.  Do you have a link or a book recommendation that would help me with this?  Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.

I'm trying to put together a course that combines history and theater.  The problem is that I'm only finding theatrical performances listed by date published.  I want to find the dates of their settings in order to place the events within the historical perspective. To clarify, I'm looking for a list of settings of plays and musicals, not movies.  Do you have a link or a book recommendation that would help me with this?  Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.

With early ones particularly, you are going to have a hard time deciding.  When is King Lear set?  Is it when Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote about it in the 12th Century?  Or the 8th Century when Monmouth believed he reigned?  Or is he a Brythonic god?