Menu

Decluttering wine

MamaBearTeacher

We have some bottles we got as gifts. We don't drink it or use it to cook. I thought I would give it away to the right person if it seemed right but that hasn't happened and it has been a few years. I think it might be cheap wine. What can I do with it other than trash?

I know a bunch of people will post "send it to me" LOL

• Like 1

Throw a party and serve it.

Give it to friends who have a party.

Take it as hostess gifts.

Learn to cook with wine. Seriously, it makes so many dishes so much better - and the alcohol evaporates in the cooking process, if you are concerned about that.

Offer it on freecycle.

Take it to the women's community center and donate it to use for an event.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Are you opposed to trying wine in your cooking?  I don't usually tend to cook with wine, but I'll do it once in a while when I have some on hand (usually after one of my parents visits and has a couple glasses and leaves half a bottle in my fridge.)  Red wine works well in tomato sauce or dishes with mushrooms, and white wine is nice in risotto.  Most of the alcohol should cook off (you use the wine to deglaze the pan before adding other liquids), and the total amount of alcohol is small when you're using about 1 cup in a dish that serves 4-6 people.

If wine made in u.s and its been several years, probably can throw out. Most California wines don't age well. However there are home grown vintages, not popular vintners that do. If French or Italian, you may want to reconsider as those age really well and are generally more expensive. Look up information online - Robert Parker wine ratings before you decide to "throw away."

• Like 2

My suggestion to dump it is not based on the value of the wine, but on the value of your time. If you are truly in decluttering mode, then it's the old "handle it once and be done" rule. Some of these other suggestions are really good, but mean continued involvement with the wine, kwim? So I was just thinking about what might be most expeditious.

• Like 4

I like the idea of donating it to an event.  I don't know much about the charity events in my area but maybe one could use it as a door prize.

For some reason food cooked in wine upsets my stomach so I don't do that.

I might end up pouring it down the drain and recycling the bottles.  Better than just throwing it in the trash.