Menu

Remembering names :(

Liz CA

At yesterday's little get together for Superbowl, we were introduced to a couple and five minutes later I had forgotten their names. :glare:

Thank God someone addressed them by name a short while later so I was able to hear it again but geeeez. I am not even eighty yet.

• Like 3

I used to be good at remembering names, but no longer. Now when I meet people, I tend to warn them that I will have to ask their name again later.

When I was in college, I was volunteering at an event at the nametag table. I watched as one of my professors -- the chair of the department, and someone whose class I had taken -- approached the table, and his name flew out of my head. To make it worse, his wife had the same last name and was also a professor at the college and was also walking toward me. Desperately I took out two nametags and slowly wrote "Dr." on each of them. I was hoping their last name would pop into my head, but alas! they stood in front of me until it was obvious to all that I was not going to come up with the name. I couldn't even bring myself to ask. Finally, he told me what it was, and I quickly wrote it on the tags, wishing I could just sink under the table.  :blushing:

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

You're in good company.  I'll remember weird things about them, though--anecdotes, mannerisms, factoids, a facial expression, etc.  Names?  Naaaah.  I assuage my guilt by reassuring all newly-met people that they are free to forget my name and everything else about me without hurting my feelings.  ;)  

• Like 2

I used to be terrible at remembering names. I think the truth is that I often tuned out or wasn't even paying attention when hearing the name. I always would warn people that I would need to ask multiple times in the future. Most people seemed relieved by my confession & said they're the same way. And, that way they don't feel badly about not remembering my name (which is unusual &, for some, seems hard to pronounce at times?). I don't mind when people ask me many times in a row what my name is.

That said, a couple of years ago, I was determined to get better at remembering names. So, first, I make myself *actually* concentrate when hearing someone else's name. And, then I picture it written out in my head. I'll often ask how to spell it (is that Catherine with a "C" or a "K"?) so that I'm spelling it correctly on my imaginary sign in my head. This method has really helped me overall (though I'm still not perfect).

• Like 2

Last time I wanted to remember the name of a couple from church I put their names into my cell phone after I walked away! lol. I have no shame in writing things down so I can retrieve the info later. But I don't always remember or have a chance to do that. The using the name thing is very good. And five minutes?! That's nothing!! I've known people much longer and forgotten their name. For a five min. encounter I would just say at the end of the night, "I'm sorry, what was your name again?" or ask a mutual friend (possibly the host later).

I don't expect people to remember my name. I don't expect them to spell it correctly, either.

• Like 3

I am terrible about remembering names. My wife can remember names of parents of kids  DD went to school with when she was in K4, K5 and First grade. I can remember very few of them and very few of the people who were in the Volunteer group I participated in.  That's a great talent but I do not have it.

• Like 1

I used to be good at remembering names, but no longer. Now when I meet people, I tend to warn them that I will have to ask their name again later.

When I was in college, I was volunteering at an event at the nametag table. I watched as one of my professors -- the chair of the department, and someone whose class I had taken -- approached the table, and his name flew out of my head. To make it worse, his wife had the same last name and was also a professor at the college and was also walking toward me. Desperately I took out two nametags and slowly wrote "Dr." on each of them. I was hoping their last name would pop into my head, but alas! they stood in front of me until it was obvious to all that I was not going to come up with the name. I couldn't even bring myself to ask. Finally, he told me what it was, and I quickly wrote it on the tags, wishing I could just sink under the table.  :blushing:

This would be me. :)  I suppose you could have said "can you spell it for me to make sure I get it correct," only to find out it's something simple like "Jones." :laugh:

I do much better if I've seen the name written. Like as a teacher when I had a roll list, I learned names very quickly. But just hearing a name? Much harder.

Yes, this would work for me too. I am so visual. Next time I just say: "Please write it down." :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not good at it.  I think it does help if you make a conscious effort to remember.  One trick is to try to associate their name with something about them.  Like Brian...is brain...he is the guy with the big head so he must have a big brain.  Sometimes you have to get creative. 

Not saying it always works, but it works for me many times. 

• Like 1

Oh my introduction is usually, "Hi, my name is Heidi and I cannot remember names to save my life, so please don't be offended when I ask you 3 or more times tonight." ((Smile))

I'm really bad and it's embarrassing, but I genuinely cannot get names to stick in my brain.

• Like 3

Oh my introduction is usually, "Hi, my name is Heidi and I cannot remember names to save my life, so please don't be offended when I ask you 3 or more times tonight." ((Smile))

I'm really bad and it's embarrassing, but I genuinely cannot get names to stick in my brain.

Yes, I have resorted to introducing myself this way, too!  The only thing that really helps is to keep a small notebook in my purse and jot down the person's name as soon as I have a spare moment, but I don't always have the opportunity.

I made a special paper with a map of all the neighbors' names on our street, and I still couldn't tell you them all with 100% certainty after living here for 3 years, without consulting that paper.  Unfortunately I tend to lose things as well, so I have to take extra care to keep that paper in one place at all times!

INFP/INTPs are noted to be very absent-minded, so I just put the blame on that.

• Like 1