Menu

I hate when I'm filling out forms and they ask

SparklyUnicorn

I just leave it blank most of the time.

They don't really care.  They don't really care about 90% of the stuff on those forms.  

The 10% they do care about, the nurse asks me in person during the exam even though I painstakingly answered on the form.

It's all a conspiracy to waste my time.

Wendy

• Like 25

They don't really care.  They don't really care about 90% of the stuff on those forms.  

The 10% they do care about, the nurse asks me in person during the exam even though I painstakingly answered on the form.

Wendy

yep

Actually that is what I do.  I didn't put anything. 

In this case it might be informative for 2 reasons though.  That'll come up in discussion for sure.  They'll want to know if there was a work related injury or if I can't modify what I'm doing in my job.  I don't think putting down my occupation will capture that second part too well though.  Can I modify what I do?  Not easily, but not because it'll cut into my livelihood.  So I think it's just better to leave it blank.  I know they won't look at it. 

• Like 1

I don't put anything other than what I am currently doing.  If I put anything else, they invariably ask me, "Oh, so where do you teach?"  or, "Oh, you are a child psychologist?  Where do you work?"

I put stay at home parent when I was home.  I hated it, but I put it.  Now that I am working I put my occupation.  I always get asked about it.  Always.

• Like 1

I don't recall what I normally put on the forms. When someone asks me IRL what I do they get a super long answer because I home school my kids, have a real estate license, do real estate investing, am retired from my pre-mom job, and take care of the house. Most people are impressed with the home school thing.

• Like 1

Gosh, I don't mind the term homemaker. It's what I do! It encompasses so much. I've still had people ask, though I don't know why. I don't see what's so hard about understanding that term.

I don't mind per se, but it's actually not what I spend most of my time on.  So it doesn't feel like the right term to me.

• Like 1

I never thought about the angst this space on the form could generate, because I work PT for DH and so always put "Secretary." When I'm full of myself, I say, "Executive Secretary." I would not be against writing "Educator," though. If they want to ask about that, knock yourself out. I'm proud of what I do.

• Like 1

Wendy

I'm just thrilled when I have actual forms, instead of being manipulated through an online form with a question that I cannot bypass.  I hate that stuff and will do everything I can not to cooperate with that manipulation. 

• Like 1

Gosh, I don't mind the term homemaker. It's what I do! It encompasses so much. I've still had people ask, though I don't know why. I don't see what's so hard about understanding that term.

Yeah, I don't really get the hate. I love writing down "homemaker." It doesn't make me feel repressed. I feel like I actually have a lot more freedom than most people working outside the home. 

• Like 5

You know, I think I'll start customizing my description according to the appointment. If I need new glasses, I'll put Tutor. If I have something physical/structural going on, I'll put Dance Teacher. If I get bursitis I'm telling the. I'm a Landscaper. If I go in for a UTI, I'm just gonna write Wife.

• Like 4

Last time I put "writer." Just because that's what I felt like at the moment. Next time I might write artist, or photographer, or something else in the nebulous range.

I like this!

I'm sure I have a saucy 100 page fanfic in me to make it true 8-O

• Like 2

Last time I put "writer." Just because that's what I felt like at the moment. Next time I might write artist, or photographer, or something else in the nebulous range.

I like this!

I'm sure I have a saucy 100 page fanfic in me to make it true 8-O

You know, I think I'll start customizing my description according to the appointment. If I need new glasses, I'll put Tutor. If I have something physical/structural going on, I'll put Dance Teacher. If I get bursitis I'm telling the. I'm a Landscaper. If I go in for a UTI, I'm just gonna write Wife.

In my case this makes sense.  My "injury" is from what I do.  Which isn't described by "homemaker".