Menu

Natural anxiety relief?

dancer67

Currently, I am on 20 mg of Prozac. This is my second go round with it. I gained 25 pounds the last time I was on it. Came off and dropped the weight. Thought I would try again, but no such luck. I have gained 18 pounds while on it. No matter what I do, the weight will not come off when on this med.

I have been on several other medications. All with some kind of side effect. I am getting tired of the medication run around.

I am looking for something natural. I am on other medications(BP meds, Ativan, and Prilosec).........so I have to be careful what I take so it does not interact.

I already know about exercising, coloring, etc etc....But my anxiety is pretty bad, or it can be pretty bad at times.

Any suggestions?

The smell of my dogs can stop an anxiety attack for me. When I feel one coming I use a dog as a pillow and just snuggle with them. One of my dogs can sense an oncoming anxiety attack in me and will put her head on my shoulder or in my lap before it comes. Other people's dogs do not help my anxiety at all.

That exercise and being aware of what triggers me are the only natural things that help me. I couldn't handle the side effects of the meds I've tried.

• Like 2

what has worked for anxiety for two of mine.  (including one who tried various rx without success.)

1200mg (split dose) of douglas labs (because the withanaloids/concentration is higher) ashwaghanda AND 2 capsules (split dose) pure encapsulations bacopa monnieri.  they must be taken together. 

also:

yoga minimum 3x per week (more is better.)

I'd also check into your adrenals and thyroid.  especially adrenals.  only test that is reliable is the 24 hour spit/saliva test.   you can read more on stopthethyroidmadness..com.  oh, and the experience is very few drs will seriously look at this connection, or how to properly treat it.  they are now educating drs.  including endos.

even though one of mine was never tested - what his ND gives him is rec'd  for hypo-adrenal and he's responded like an entirely different kid with greatly reduced anxiety.  same for the one whose adrenals were tested and diagnosed hypo-adrenal.  none of the drs she went to helped - so she tried what the other one days, and she feels well for the first time in many years.

May or may not pertain, but I don't touch alcohol anymore.  That helped.  It's not 100% magical all the time, but it helped.  You think, I'll have a drink..take the edge off the anxiety, and it does, but for some reason it ultimately just makes you feel worse. 

Don't know how Zoloft and Prozac compare, but Zoloft made me feel anxious.  I was prescribed it for depression, but it made me feel extremely anxious.  Prozac didn't do that to me though.  Have you looked through side effects from other meds you might be taking?  Maybe something is making it worse. 

Sorry you are going through that.

• Like 1

Treating underlying medical issues (I have thyroid and adrenal issues), exercise, giving up sugar - though if I phrase it that way, I instantly crave sugar, so I call it the version of low carb that I do - keto diet. I take a lot of supplements that are tailored to me - when I slack off, anxiety starts. Exercise. Exercise. Every single day. My kids know that if I don't, I'm not as happy. Our night time ritual: every night DH and I put the kids to bed early, there's a bubble bath, wine, cheese and olives, and whatever show we are watching at the time. We hang out and talk. That right there is huge.

FWIW, I'm recently (last May) off of cymbalta, and so I'm very concerned about anxiety and depression cropping up. Hyper aware. I don't want to go back on - same as you, weight gain. But those things have worked for me, so far.

Thank you so much ladies for all the suggestions so far.

Sometimes I feel so frustrated and alone with this. It has been a battle for most of my life, But the anxiety has become worse as I have gotten older. I am just trying to stay away from SSI/SSRI meds, and try other things.

• Like 1

Lithium orotate (This is not the same as prescription lithium, lithium carbonate.)

depends upon a person's need/ability to handle for lithium - some people will respond positively - others won't.  just so ya know.

dudeling's blood level was extremely low.  like - in the subbasement level low.  he can't tolerate it.  and yeah, it was the lithium orotate which is otc.  it's interesting as my other prone to anxiety was given the rx for lithium - couldn't tolerate it either.

Inositol can help in similar ways as the SSRI's without side effects. I would not, though, expect equivalent relief based on my experience.

N-acytl cysteine (research I've seen is for anxiety along obsessive compulsive lines).T

Theanine is calming. I think someone else mentioned that as well.

• Like 1