Menu

Items to put in a tactile box

mom31257

If you had to put items in a box for kids to reach in, feel, and figure out what they are without seeing them, what would you include?

I'm trying to set up stations at a book club for students to experience blindness. We read The Cay, and the main character goes blind.

Pom poms

Beans

Rice

Coins (maybe one pennies, one nickels to emphasize differences the coins have)

ETA- if probably include a lot more "useful" everyday things, like pen vs pencil, that a blind person may need to figure out in a daily basis. A lot of vision impaired people fold their bills a certain way, etc.

Edited by displace

This sounds like an okay idea. The National Federation of the Blind has a page up on the difference between effective simulations of blindness, which discourage discrimination, and ineffective ones, which manage to encourage it. You may want to take their thoughts into consideration.

That's interesting because I got the idea from a website that is resources for the visually impaired and their family, friends, etc. I guess there are different schools of thought out there on this. 

As I said, a tactile box is probably just fine - especially if you take their excellent advice and specifically instruct the kids on how to recognize what they're feeling, rather than just going "Wow, it sure was hard, wasn't it? It's gotta be SO HARD to be blind! Can you imagine having to guess ALL THE TIME?"

But I don't know if you want to stop with a tactile box or extend it. It's when you start bringing in blindfolds and all that you're moving into risky territory.