Menu

Interesting, engaging STEM books for early reader

So here's my current project: I have a 7 yo who read very typically like a 7 yo (I think): not very advanced, not too far behind, mostly lots of stuff like Wrenly, Captain Awesome, Time travel trio, Magic Tree house (though he thought those were boring), Fantastic Mr. Fox, etc. But he's relatively advanced in other areas (math, science, etc.) and would like to read about fun stuff related to those field, but at a reading level that suits him. But does something like this exist? Books that have deep/advanced content, but at an easy reading level? He *can* read harder stuff (he's read Matilda and Charlie and the chocolate factory and Half Magic), but he struggles to stay motivated.

I really wish he'd liked the magic tree house books, because there's lots of good stuff to learn from those (it seems - I only read 4-6 of them), but he just never got into them. He's already read as much Life of Fred as he'd like to, all his Beast Academy, and the whole "You wouldn't want to be a..." series (I know it's not stem, but it's kind of like what I'm looking for, still).

We found some Usborne Beginners Science & Nature books at the library that my DS enjoyed. I can't remember quite what the reading level is, but you can look at them on Rainbow Resource. They are small, (not lengthy) hardback books covering one topic each (weather, birds, bears, solar system, etc).

Edited by mmasc

Another vote for the Magic Schoolbus Chapter books.

Also, Andrew Lost is another Magic Treehouse level book series that's focused on science.

And there's another new one... ack... and that one has a story and little experiments. Someone mentioned it on another thread. This is going to drive me crazy! Someone mention it again so I can rec it in the future!

There are National Geographic and DK readers that are nonfiction. This is the age where a lot of kids, if they've moved to reading the chapter book series like Magic Treehouse, often stop reading the early reader series. But the level 3 (or sometimes 4 - depends on the series) books are still appropriate and often it makes sense for kids to read shorter works for nonfiction anyway so they're perfect.

And you can turn to picture books. There's a ton of great Seymour Simon books in this vein. And there are other authors, of course. I'd just raid the nonfiction section at your library.

• Like 1

We found some Usborne Beginners Science & Nature books at the library that my DS enjoyed. I can't remember quite what the reading level is, but you can look at them on Rainbow Resource. They are small, (not lengthy) hardback books covering one topic each (weather, birds, bears, solar system, etc).

This is exactly what I was about to suggest. The Usborne Beginners books. Nonfiction and each one has one topic. I also have a 7 year old who reads at or just above grade level but is super into learning about...everything. I found the Your Body book at the homeschool store and I just ordered her 7 more. I actually have a pic online because I was just telling a friend about them. 

Typical inside page. http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/Sk8ermaiden/16586616_863897930286_100439980_o_zpsqn9yw1pb.jpg

• Like 1

There are National Geographic and DK readers that are nonfiction. This is the age where a lot of kids, if they've moved to reading the chapter book series like Magic Treehouse, often stop reading the early reader series. But the level 3 (or sometimes 4 - depends on the series) books are still appropriate and often it makes sense for kids to read shorter works for nonfiction anyway so they're perfect.

Ah yes, we still enjoy a lot of the NG and DK readers! They have some good stuff.