Menu

Yet another math question....

lovemyboys

Ds7 is cruising through Saxon and Singapore. I do a kind of combo to build strong math skills which is working well for ds10, but little brother is proving to be really intuitive about math.

I'd like to challenge him in a new way. Any suggestions for a child like this? He likes to work on independent, creative projects a lot, so I don't want to switch to a curriculum that will require an hour of seatwork, for instance. I'm looking for ways to open up math in new ways, on an interesting level. Does that make sense? Something intriguing for a kid who gets math that will be challenging but not laborious. :001_huh:

So far, we've worked on mastery -- if he gets "telling time in 5 min. increments" (both telling and showing) in a couple minutes and can do it in writing on a worksheet or whiteboard, we move on to the next lesson. We're in Saxon 2 probably for the next few weeks, he often does 2-4 of the lessons in 15 min. or so. I like Saxon for the real world equipment and manipulatives it encourages. I like Singapore for the way it's organized, mental math and challenge.

Any ideas for me? What do you use for your math-happy kids? TIA!

I'd like to challenge him in a new way. Any suggestions for a child like this? He likes to work on independent, creative projects a lot, so I don't want to switch to a curriculum that will require an hour of seatwork, for instance. I'm looking for ways to open up math in new ways, on an interesting level. Does that make sense? Something intriguing for a kid who gets math that will be challenging but not laborious. :001_huh:

My middle ds used a Singapore/ Saxon combo. My little guy used Singapore PM 1 and 2 and last week began Saxon 54. The little guy is doing Kumon math and I just decided that he could benefit from some continual review since Kumon is very mastery. Anyway, I definitely understand liking both Singapore and Saxon.

Since you are using and liking both, instead of switching to another program I have a couple of thoughts. First, have him take a Saxon placement test. He may test into a more challenging higher level. Second, do you have fun manipulatives to enjoy during free time? If not, purchase things like pattern blocks, dominoes, cards, and a calculator. My ds actually likes flashcards: he likes to quiz me. Go ahead and use the multiplication and division.

HTH-

Mandy

Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice from Singapore have been hugely beneficial to my son.

LOL, oh yeah, duh. I second the Intensive Practice.

We also used the Intensive Practice with Singapore PM2. It is definitely moves the dc beyond what is in the workbook.

Mandy

LOL, oh yeah, duh. I second the Intensive Practice.

We also used the Intensive Practice with Singapore PM2. It is definitely moves the dc beyond what is in the workbook.

Mandy

Thanks Mandy and Marisa, I'm going to look this up this weekend since I need to order things anyway. I appreciate your pointing me in a good direction, I really don't want to hold him back -- he's fast with this like dh, so might as well encourage it.

Now I'll be really impatient to get it. :lol:

And yes, we do have lots of manipulatives of all sorts, they play with them lots.